Changes since 2016

hayesktrm

I am seeing that there are a few changes since I last cruised with Carnival.

Robes--no longer in the cabins? Can I request? We have an oceanview so does that make a difference? If I can get a robe, do I do this with my cabin steward?

Ice--again, do I just request with my cabin steward?

Turn-down service--I guess since we don't have mints and they don't do towel animals in the evening, the only thing it would be good for is fresh towels? Does the cabin steward ask if you want two cabin visits a day?

Anything else that has changed that I should be aware of? This will be my 13th cruise (hopefully not a bad omen) and my boyfriend's first cruise. I'm a little nervous. I really hope he likes cruising!

Robes--no longer in the cabins? Can I request? We have an oceanview so does that make a difference? If I can get a robe, do I do this with my cabin steward? Our last Cruise in 2016 they still had robes in the cabin, we were in an Aft Balcony. I have read on here that if you ask they will bring them.

Ice--again, do I just request with my cabin steward? Yes just ask, we gave him a nice tip too;) never had to ask again.

Turn-down service--I guess since we don't have mints and they don't do towel animals in the evening, the only thing it would be good for is fresh towels? Does the cabin steward ask if you want two cabin visits a day? We were never asked but got service twice a day.

Anything else that has changed that I should be aware of? This will be my 13th cruise (hopefully not a bad omen) and my boyfriend's first cruise. I'm a little nervous. I really hope he likes cruising!

Relax, have fun and enjoy your cruise!

Robes are available on request. They were not in our room on the Conquest two weeks ago.

Ice -- We asked for an ice bucket. I intended to fill it myself when needed but the room steward did it every day.

When your arrive your room attendant will have a sheet for you to check if you want morning service, evening, or both.

His first? Enjoy it for now instead of the used to be....

He will have a great time, I am sure!

No "back in my day" stories.....

LOL, true! I did tell him that I was disappointed that we were on deck 1 instead of 2 (although it's midship and a good location). He said that he had nothing to compare it to, so it would all be good with him.

Thanks everyone for the insight!! Being able to order water beforehand wasn't available when I last cruised. I'm going to do that this time. I'm also going to get him some kind of keepsake from Bon Voyage. His adult son accidentally broke one of the wine glasses I bought him, so I think I'll get him a couple of the Carnival wine glasses.

Robes--no longer in the cabins? Can I request? We have an oceanview so does that make a difference? If I can get a robe, do I do this with my cabin steward?

Ice--again, do I just request with my cabin steward?

Turn-down service--I guess since we don't have mints and they don't do towel animals in the evening, the only thing it would be good for is fresh towels? Does the cabin steward ask if you want two cabin visits a day?

You can request a robe, or do what I do and bring your own. It's nice having that "comfort" from home. We leave a note along with a $5 bill on the first day asking that our ice bucket remain filled, and we always have ice. As for cabin service, you will be given the option of morning, evening, or both. We're easy and only request evening, and we always get a towel animal, even though towel animals are of no importance to us. I hope you have a great cruise!

You can request a robe, or do what I do and bring your own. It's nice having that "comfort" from home. We leave a note along with a $5 bill on the first day asking that our ice bucket remain filled, and we always have ice. As for cabin service, you will be given the option of morning, evening, or both. We're easy and only request evening, and we always get a towel animal, even though towel animals are of no importance to us. I hope you have a great cruise!

We won't have a lot of room in our luggage so I'll just ask for one. I really want them to do towel animals. I think he will really like that. That is a good idea about the $5 and a note.

LOL, true! I did tell him that I was disappointed that we were on deck 1 instead of 2 (although it's midship and a good location). He said that he had nothing to compare it to, so it would all be good with him.

Thanks everyone for the insight!! Being able to order water beforehand wasn't available when I last cruised. I'm going to do that this time. I'm also going to get him some kind of keepsake from Bon Voyage. His adult son accidentally broke one of the wine glasses I bought him, so I think I'll get him a couple of the Carnival wine glasses.

You can order it from bon voyage and have them in the room upon arrival!

Best wishes to you both on the cruise:) My answers below:

Robes--no longer in the cabins? Can I request? We have an oceanview so does that make a difference? If I can get a robe, do I do this with my cabin steward? We were offered robes through our steward when she introduced herself. We didn't get them so I'm not sure about size.

Ice--again, do I just request with my cabin steward? We also requested ice from our steward and she filled it both morning and evening. It was a small bucket, but it met our needs for ice in our glasses in room. You can also request extra pillows, which we did. We did not pre-tip and still had excellent services (which was rewarded with extra tip at the end).

Turn-down service--I guess since we don't have mints and they don't do towel animals in the evening, the only thing it would be good for is fresh towels? Does the cabin steward ask if you want two cabin visits a day? Our steward offered morning, evening, or both and we chose both. We often work out in the morning so shower then, plus a shower before dinner if we were active during the day. Sometimes it is nice to just wash your face and freshen up a little too, so if you opt for once a day service I'd advise requesting extra towels depending on your usage.

Turn-down service (in our experience) also includes emptying trash cans, straightening the bed, and adjusting the lighting for evening. I always straightened the covers before leaving the room but it was nice to have a freshly made bed for the night:)

Anything else that has changed that I should be aware of? This will be my 13th cruise (hopefully not a bad omen) and my boyfriend's first cruise. I'm a little nervous. I really hope he likes cruising!Something I heard years ago that has stuck with me "Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape" - be prepared for anything and willing to go with the flow. My attitude will affect my cruise much more than most things on-board.

We won't have a lot of room in our luggage so I'll just ask for one. I really want them to do towel animals. I think he will really like that. That is a good idea about the $5 and a note.

We had towel animals each day. I tried lining them up on the back of the couch (we had a balcony), but they were replaced each day. I was kind of hoping for a zoo:')

not sure if i had bad service or a bad steward.. when i was on the sunshine last year, they only provided one turn down service instead of the usually twice a day and i also requested both services too

not sure if i had bad service or a bad steward.. when i was on the sunshine last year, they only provided one turn down service instead of the usually twice a day and i also requested both services too

If you requested both and only got one, you should have said something to G.S. While some don't want it, to me its one of the perks of cruising over resorts.

With regard to the ice... on our second cruise I had purchased one of those gifts for my DH that come with a small soft side ice cooler. Without us even asking our room steward automatically refilled it with fresh ice twice a day for us. We were pleasantly surprised! Every time we have used the ice bucket, we get the same service. Fresh ice twice a day without any additional tip. While I have no doubts the tip is very much appreciated, refilling the ice bucket has been a part of the room steward service on our cruises.

I haven't heard of the towel animals going away either, and would be disappointed. It's always fun to come back in the evenings to see what was created for you that day.

Another recent change:

Room service orders from 10pm-6am are a la carte charges. Some hot items are also available at a charge from 6am-10pm, but also complimentary (except for any gratuity you offer). The continental breakfast choices on the door hanger are still complimentary, but it is unavailable on debarkation morning.

Also, some possible menu changes depending on your ship:

Deli, Pizza Pirate Plus, Breakfast, Steakhouse

I can’t remember if they had it in 2016 but I’ll fill you in just in case. Definitely download the Carnival HUB app. From the app you can view an interactive ships map, view the daily fun times, purchase bottomless bubbles, cheers, view and purchase photos, check your account, etc. Its awesome! :)

Such great tips!! I'm super flexible and he's mostly, too. We've taken several overnight trips and a 3 night trip to NYC, so this will be our longest time together :o! He has 5 grown kids, so he had to be flexible! This should be super relaxing compared to his vacations in the past.

I love the deli. I don't eat any big meals, but would always get a grilled cheese sandwich after the comedy show. Is that still open late at night?

I can’t remember if they had it in 2016 but I’ll fill you in just in case. Definitely download the Carnival HUB app. From the app you can view an interactive ships map, view the daily fun times, purchase bottomless bubbles, cheers, view and purchase photos, check your account, etc. Its awesome! :)

I don't think they had this the last time I cruised. I did download it. I think we may get the texting option. Do we just do this on our phones? I have an iPhone and he has a Samsung. Does this matter? Do they have an app for Samsung?

I don't think they had this the last time I cruised. I did download it. I think we may get the texting option. Do we just do this on our phones? I have an iPhone and he has a Samsung. Does this matter? Do they have an app for Samsung?

The app is available for both android and Apple. You can download it now but it doesn’t work until you’re at the port waiting to board. No need to carry a ships map and copy of the fun times with you anymore. It’s all right there in the app. You will love it.