Caribbean Princess few comments, just off

moki'smommy

Got home last night from the 10 day partial Panama transit. I tried to remember all the details people ask here, but seem to have forgotten what I intended to ask. Please feel free to ask questions.

First time in a suite. Is it possible to have an absent minded steward? He did say he had just come back on board, but many things didn't happen till I asked about them. For instance, no laundry bags in the room, no "letter" that the Passenger Services desk kept referencing, no breakfast order forms or canape order forms (didn't ask for these). There were 3 of us in the room. We did get 3 waters each night.

Exchanged mini-bar for 2 coffee cards--no expiration date printed or cruise number/ship filled in on cards. I agree that the web should list the option to just get the cards up front (not need to exchange) in the same way you can specify bed configuration or robes. Seems like a lot of work for the staff to have to collect the mini bar stuff and leave cards.

Pizza upstairs was awful. I got a slice near the end, only so I could report on it here. Ate one bite and tossed the rest. Compared to same ship 3 years ago...it was ruined. They are definitely NOT the best pizza at sea any more.

Club Class dining was wonderful. Great food, super dining staff. Best dining experience ever on Princess, perhaps on any line we've done. Lots of positive comments from others in our party.

Ports....not good. Port times were short, and then were things like 6:30am to noon. I'm not getting up to do a 6:30am excursion routinely. If you didn't do a Panama Canal excursion, you had 45 minutes to get off the ship in the evening to visit vendor tables in the port area. This was scheduled for a longer time, but kept being moved.

In Limon we had a full day, but somehow we chose poorly. I picked a rainforest arial tram that I thought said a 1 hour bus ride each way...somehow it was listed as 3 hours each way on their form. It was to be an 8 hour excursion with a 70 minute tram ride, 45 minute guided walking tour, and lunch. Well, anyone can figure that it would total more than 8 hours. They eliminated the guided walk and we still were an hour late getting back to the ship. The funny thing was that the guide started getting phone calls and was claiming terrible traffic. We encountered a traffic jam near Limon, but that was well after we were already late! Problem was that we had a 2:30 scheduled departure time, 2:38 actual departure, and 4:30 "all aboard," with a "3 hour" drive. No way I would have chosen an 8 hour excursion when 6 hours of it was riding a bus! My mistake. But I still think it said "1 hour" somewhere. On the positive side, the guides at the site were delightful. It was just sad that we couldn't do what was listed in the excursion description. Complained at excursion desk--they had me write it up, but no price adjustment.

Ship speed was typically 19-21 knots.

Ship is in good condition after dry dock. There were some "dings" on cabin built ins, but nothing that interfered with our enjoyment. Lots of detail cleaning going on.

On arrival home, there are 2 strange charges on my credit card listed as Caribbean Princess. I agree with my stateroom statement, so called Princess this morning. They told me that these are not unusual and should drop off the statement by tomorrow. Here's hoping.

We got a card for a free drink because the on demand TV wasn't working at the beginning of the cruise--we didn't even turn on the TV in the first couple of days, but did enjoy the drink.

No one went to the captain's circle receptions.

What else does anyone want to know?

Took Uber from hotel to port. They needed to know which terminal we'd be at before they'd let us make the reservation, so I called Princess and was told by a very grumpy agent that it would be terminal 2. We were at terminal 19. Interesting after she needed my reservation number, birth date, and all kinds of stuff before she'd even tell me which terminal. The Regal was at terminal 2. HA assist on boarding was non-existent. Never found the person with the clip board. We asked 4 different workers at the terminal--no one seemed to know. Fortunately the gangway was almost level and was able to be managed with the walker. On disembarkation, we waited in the Platinum lounge until the time we'd been directed to go to HA assist, and were then the last to leave because we'd arrived last. No big deal.

Edited by moki'smommy

We were on the previous cruise. The ship should have been at terminal 4 but had to go to 19 seemingly because of a stranded commercial ship near number 4. This was announced by the captain on the final evening of our cruise.

We were on the previous cruise. The ship should have been at terminal 4 but had to go to 19 seemingly because of a stranded commercial ship near number 4. This was announced by the captain on the final evening of our cruise.

This makes sense--we were told that they were not able to dock at their usual terminal. But it still doesn't explain why we were told it would be terminal 2. At least our driver was nice about the mix up and I tipped well.

Yes, thanks, we had a good time. The suite perks were lovely. And as far as "on the ship" stuff, it was our best Princess cruise ever.

And as far as "on the ship" stuff' date=' it was our best Princess cruise ever.[/quote']

Our 14 nighter was also great. Definitely in the running for our best Princess cruise ever.

How was the entertainment? Ours was a little lacklustre and the theatre shows were scheduled at 6.30 and 8.15 rather than the 8.15 and 10.15 we have usually had.

Sorry to hear you didn't like the pizza. I was on the sailing before you and thought it was really good. I had the pepperoni 3-4 times and really enjoyed it. Obviously, it's one of those subjective things.

Glad you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Susan

Our 14 nighter was also great. Definitely in the running for our best Princess cruise ever.

How was the entertainment? Ours was a little lacklustre and the theatre shows were scheduled at 6.30 and 8.15 rather than the 8.15 and 10.15 we have usually had.

This is Princess cruise number 4 in the last 3 years. Different ships, different continents, same shows. They advertise the new shows, but they haven't been anywhere we've cruised. The performers in the shows were not the best. The variety performers were good; the theatre shows were "meh" as my 20 something would say.

I wish they'd use acoustic violins in the Piazza rather than the electronic things, but that's probably just me. The other entertainers there were OK.

Escape room was fun--everyone in our group enjoyed it.

Funny about the room steward - in that same cabin, we had a "dud" of a steward back in November. Had to ask for laundry bags, etc.

What did you think of the suite? Did you end up getting the rollaway or was the pullout couch okay?

Did you order room service from the MDR menu? How did you find the suite breakfast? Looking forward to our first suite in a few weeks and appreciate your descriptions!

This was our first suite experience. The breakfast in Sabatini's was good, service was great. They have the same menu every day, but you can go "off menu" if they have the stuff to make what you want. No waiting, always good.

We did not order from room service from the MDR. We would not have wanted to miss the club class experience. The MDR food is only available during MDR hours. The suite room service menu is slightly expanded from the standard room service menu. We did order a couple times--good food and quick service. The room service menu is nothing fancy, but totally adequate.

Our only problem was that our room was HOT when we arrived. We mentioned it to our steward and he "adjusted" it. We voiced several concerns to Passenger Services, and they sent "engineers," etc. After about the 4th complaint, they sent a supervisor who discovered that the thermostat was set to as hot as possible, not cool! The temperature did fluctuate, it never got horribly hot after that.

During our cruise it was held in the "chapel' date='" a room on deck 16 that is also used for talks by the spa people and whatever else.[/quote']

I didn't realize the Escape Room was also on the Caribbean Princess, so I didn't open the Escape Room thread. Thanks so much for mentioning it! :)

Yes, we did the escape room, and yes, it involved a vase. That's not a give away--you get that info at the pre-session.

I used the couch bed--seriously uncomfortable, but not worth requesting the roll away. I let the girls have the twins so they would be near each other for late night chats, etc. The hardest thing was getting out of the bed without catching something or hitting the mechanism.

Our steward was pleasant enough, he just wasn't totally "with it." I shouldn't have to request toilet paper when I see him in the hall! He did replace the shampoo, conditioner, etc. when needed. In fact, he took the used containers before they were completely empty but well used.

Thanks for the good wishes!

The most aft section of the buffet area was converted to Planks and Steamers. I really didn't explore the area much as we didn't eat there. This is the area from the aft elevators (which are in the middle) and extending further aft from that level on the port side. It is basically aft of the beverage area. All I really saw was the sign indicating that this was the location for Planks and Steamers. While I didn't eat there often, I didn't experience any lack of seating in the Horizon area (now renamed World Marketplace or something similar.

The esthetic changes to the pizza and burger outlets are nice, but they are essentially window dressing. Both have an expanded menu over 3 years ago.

And yes, I also hope they come up with new escape room situations. This was our first time so it was good. I'd be unhappy if it is like the theatre shows--no change from my first Princess cruise to the present but I keep reading about new shows! Obviously changing the escape room would be far easier than changing the stage shows.

"Exchanged mini-bar for 2 coffee cards"

Can you please explain this? Thanks!

When you qualify for a free mini-bar set up, either by virtue of staying in a suite or being and Elite in Captain's Circle status, you have the option of calling room service and telling them you'd prefer two "coffee cards" instead. They will collect the bar items and leave the cards. Each card contains 15 "punches" that can be used for specialty coffees or teas (think Starbucks) which can be used by anyone, as well as unlimited fresh brewed coffee, premium tea, or packaged hot chocolate for the card holder during that cruise only. You can also exchange the bar for a bottle of wine. When you pay with cash for the specialty beverages, they come in two sizes. With the card, either size costs "one punch."

My answer to the Horizon Court question is at the top of this page. (page 2)

When you qualify for a free mini-bar set up' date=' either by virtue of staying in a suite or being and Elite in Captain's Circle status, you have the option of calling room service and telling them you'd prefer two "coffee cards" instead. They will collect the bar items and leave the cards. Each card contains 15 "punches" that can be used for specialty coffees or teas (think Starbucks) which can be used by anyone, as well as unlimited fresh brewed coffee, premium tea, or packaged hot chocolate for the card holder during that cruise only. You can also exchange the bar for a bottle of wine.[/quote']

Aha, thank you!