Is the Albert Cuyp Market Amsterdam worth it?

Cruiseoholic000

I am thinking of going to Rijksmuseum when it opens and then head over to Albert Cuyp Market. I was wondering if it is worth it? Where does it start and end (the entire street?)? How much time should you plan on being there? Looks great on the website and looks like plenty of yummy treats. Afterword was thinking of going to the Rembrandt museum.

I am thinking of going to Rijksmuseum when it opens and then head over to Albert Cuyp Market. I was wondering if it is worth it? Where does it start and end (the entire street?)? How much time should you plan on being there? Looks great on the website and looks like plenty of yummy treats. Afterword was thinking of going to the Rembrandt museum.

I don't know about the market, but I very much enjoyed a visit to the Rembrandt House museum.

That is a very ambitious schedule! Rijksmuseum can take all day and is one of the most popular (crowded) attractions in Amsterdam. There are famous Rembrandt pieces in that museum. Have not been to the market or the Rembrandt home museum.

That is a very ambitious schedule! Rijksmuseum can take all day and is one of the most popular (crowded) attractions in Amsterdam. There are famous Rembrandt pieces in that museum. Have not been to the market or the Rembrandt home museum.

I am grateful that my first trip to Amsterdam in 2010 was when the Rijksmuseum was under renovation. They had all the major pieces grouped together in one small area, and it was possible to do the highlights quickly. Now is is much more spread out.

Just a note on the Rembrandt House Museum, it is his home and you learn about his life and work. There are some drawings there, but if I remember correctly very few or no paintings. If you want to see his art, stick to the Rijksmuseum; if you want more information on his life, go to the Rembrandt House.

Probably depends on what you like. I like markets more than I like art museums. (I do love "living" or house museums, as well as history & archeology museums more - I rarely go to art museums now, but I've been to quite a few in the past...)

Trying to do all those things in one day does sound exhausting. I'd start with whatever is your highest priority and play it by ear for the rest of it, depending on your energy?

Thank you for your insight. I am going with the Rick Steves chapter and the free audio tour app for the Rijksmuseum. Therefore budgeting two hours. Good to know about the Rembrandt museum maybe skip that one and go to the resistance museum instead. Still wondering if the market would be worth going too. We may just go to Rijksmuseum and the market and call it a day.

Thank you for your insight. I am going with the Rick Steves chapter and the free audio tour app for the Rijksmuseum. Therefore budgeting two hours. Good to know about the Rembrandt museum maybe skip that one and go to the resistance museum instead. Still wondering if the market would be worth going too. We may just go to Rijksmuseum and the market and call it a day.

You can spend a lot of (interesting) time in the Resistance Museum too. It is also not particularly close to the other museums around Museumplein.

• 4 weeks later...

In fairness to the Rembrandt House, there is 'art' there by Rembrandt himself. There is a full gallery of his splendid prints. Maybe some people think only painting is art. The experience there is of a prosperous household with period furnishings. A fine house museum.

Thanks I have added it to the must do list. If I don’t buy anything at least I can try some yummy Dutch food [emoji16]

I just googled the market and it looks amazing. It should be easy to wander over there after the Rijksmuseum. The area is nice, we've strolled around De Pijp in the past and it was fun. The Rembrandt House, on the other hand, would take some hoofing or a couple of trams to get to from the Museumsplein area.

I just googled the market and it looks amazing. It should be easy to wander over there after the Rijksmuseum. The area is nice, we've strolled around De Pijp in the past and it was fun. The Rembrandt House, on the other hand, would take some hoofing or a couple of trams to get to from the Museumsplein area.

I did the museum and the Market in one day. I mean, you are not there to shop. To walk from one end to the other shouldn’t take long. You are there to people watch and soak up the atmosphere. I wouldn’t walk there from the museum however. You might want to take the tram!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did the museum and the Market in one day. I mean, you are not there to shop. To walk from one end to the other shouldn’t take long. You are there to people watch and soak up the atmosphere. I wouldn’t walk there from the museum however. You might want to take the tram!

Well I admit we were younger then, in our early 60's instead of 70's! We walked all over Amsterdam on that visit, and an earlier visit when were in our 40's!

Today we did the Rembrandt House in the morning- I consider it a hidden gem in Amsterdam. It is wonderfully presented and best of all, not crowded. This afternoon we toured the Van Gogh Museum. I confess to being a bit disappointed. Not only was it very crowded, despite timed entry, but many of his best works are not there- being in other museums around the world. The city itself is very walkable in the canal district even though we are not in top physical condition (early 70’s).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We chose the Van Gough Museum and Anne Frank House on our visit. Wouldn’t miss those two for the world.

Yes Van Gogh booked, Anne Frank two weeks before booking and Rijksmuseum the last day followed by the market. Can’t wait.

Yes Van Gogh booked, Anne Frank two weeks before booking and Rijksmuseum the last day followed by the market. Can’t wait.

Admiring my tulips in my garden today I remembered I purchased the bulbs at the flower market in Amsterdam. You need to look for special labeled packages “Approved for USA Use”. Also watch out for the bikes and trolleys. Aye aye aye.