Can I receive phone calls on my iPhone with the Internet plan?

OK.....so put it in Airplane mode, turn on Wifi, and then what about my "cellular" settings?

When you put the phone into Airplane Mode, all the radios (cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth) go off. That's why you have to turn on WiFi after the phone goes into Airplane Mode.

I used wifi calling with AT&T and it worked perfectly on the Serenade last month. Will it also work the same way on Symphony in Europe in September?? Or do I need to call and buy an overseas plan?

I used wifi calling with AT&T and it worked perfectly on the Serenade last month. Will it also work the same way on Symphony in Europe in September?? Or do I need to call and buy an overseas plan?

Should work even better on Symphony.

We have T-Mobile. I thought the package would be through the cruiseline, and not the carrier?

With T-mobile, enable Wifi Calling, which connected to T-mobile cellular network (required for the first time you set it up).

Then get the VOOM package. Leave your phone in Airplane mode, but Enable Wifi. Log into ships wifi and you are good to go.

When in port, take phone out of airplane mode, as most cruise ports are in countries supported by T-mobile roaming. Unlimited text and data, 20 cents per minute calling.

Definitely not all carriers have packages for use at sea, Verizon definitely does not. Verizon only has pay as you go rates for calls and texts. They no longer support data while at sea.

Verizon ahs a $10 per day plan, but only applies while in port and not at sea.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi again. How well do phone calls work in an inside cabin? At least to hear it ring? I could step out if I needed to.

Thanks

If you have purchased VOOM and have enabled WiFi calling on your phone, you should be able to receive calls in an inside stateroom.

Hi again. How well do phone calls work in an inside cabin? At least to hear it ring? I could step out if I needed to.

Thanks

It is hard to predict how good or bad the signal inside ANY cabin will be. (RC will tell you that the signal is pervasive and available everywhere on the ship. They lie.)

Try it out, and if you are having problems, seek out the IT officer on board. The information will be in the Cruise Compass.

The last two times I had some connectivity issues, the IT guy fixed it immediately.

My son is in Marine Bootcamp and will be doing The Crucible while we are on our cruise, I am nervous to say the least.

If he gets injured, I want to know if his Drill Instructor can call me directly on my phone? Thanks!

I texted but I’m assuming yes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely not all carriers have packages for use at sea, Verizon definitely does not. Verizon only has pay as you go rates for calls and texts. They no longer support data while at sea.

I bought VOOM turned my data off

I assume if I got texts and photos I’d get calls your on WiFi with them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought VOOM turned my data off

I assume if I got texts and photos I’d get calls your on WiFi with them

Possibly, but it depends if you were receiving the texts and photos via WiFi calling or some internet texting app.

Thanks

On a few ships I have been on, specifically Allure and Anthem, I have had internet problems in my stateroom. And these were not inside staterooms. On Allure they offered to change my stateroom because they could not fix the signal into the room. On Anthem there was no where else to be moved. There are indeed "bad connectivity" spots on ships - including outside near pool (under overhang) on some of the older ships. If you are having an issue in your stateroom, immediately go to guest services so it can be elevated.