Private Islands

Just curious I keep seeing the mention of water shoes. On my next cruise we will be going to Nassau, HMC and grand turk.

I know to bring water shoes for me and kids at the Nassau excursion we are doing- it says so in the discription.

But will we need them at grand turk beach?? Also according to these comments it is not necessary at HMC?

I would perfer not to wear them at all, I loathe water shoes.

I wore water shoes in Grand Turk. There were definitely rocks in the water. Half Moon Cay not needed at all.

Not so much a private island, but they did build the ports at Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay, and Puerta Maya in Cozumel that are only for Carnival Corp.
Will have to disuses this over a drink. On the same sailing with a stop at HMC.

Posted Today, 02:06 PM

Half Moon Cay beaches nicer than those in Aruba?

HMC doesn't even come close....!

Hmmm... I guess we went to the wrong "Aruba". Aruba doesn't even come close to HMC! IMHO:cool::cool:

Posted Today, 02:06 PM

Half Moon Cay beaches nicer than those in Aruba?

Hmmm... I guess we went to the wrong "Aruba". Aruba doesn't even come close to HMC! IMHO:cool::cool:

To me, any of the ships private islands are overcrowded, hokey, touristy, stopovers.

I'm not really fond of Aruba but the beaches are nicer than any of the private islands.

Aruba is a very nice island but not in the same league as HMC.

I don't think any of the private islands are in the same league as the "real" Caribbean ports.

Yeah, they are nice and beachy and pretty and when the weather is good, they make for a great day.

I spent 20 years in the USVI and the beaches there, especially St. John, don't even come close to any of the others as far as pristine beauty and a crowded day is maybe 20 people on the beach...LOL

HMC doesn't even come close....!

It's a matter of preference. I absolutely love Half Moon Cay because it is such an easy beach day, no messing around in search of chair rentals, no vendors on the beach, beautiful, perfect sand and shallow calm water. Aruba was pretty, but I remember hiking quite a bit to find reasonably priced loungers and the water was murky at Palm Beach. Eagle beach is nicer but can have a strong rip current on certain days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were at Princess Cay earlier this year and plan to sail to HMC this September.

We stayed on the quieter side of the beach, to the right when you get of the ship. We walked to the other side and I would not have liked the big crowds. The water was rocky and I was glad we had water shoes. People next to us did some snorkeling from the beach and said it was better than some they had on paid excursions. I had an awesome nap under the shade of a tree:D but from everything I've heard HMC is a prettier beach with softer sand.

On the same cruise we stopped at Freeport and had an excursion that took us to Gold Rock Beach - stunning <3 There were at most 30 of us there so not crowded at all. Super soft sand and clear water. Small picnic area and some benches, but no loungers as far as the eye can see to detract from the natural beauty. I'm hoping HMC will be as nice, but realize I'll be sharing with a lot more people;)

I don't think any of the private islands are in the same league as the "real" Caribbean ports.

Yeah, they are nice and beachy and pretty and when the weather is good, they make for a great day.

I spent 20 years in the USVI and the beaches there, especially St. John, don't even come close to any of the others as far as pristine beauty and a crowded day is maybe 20 people on the beach...LOL

Will agree with you about St John especially Trunk Bay but do think that HMC is a great place to visit.