Any advice for a first timer on Oceania and first time to Cuba?

islandwoman

DH and I will board the Oceania Sirena on Friday, May 4 for a 7 day Miami - Miami Timeless Cuba cruise. We've been on lots of cruises previously and to several Caribbean islands, but we've never sailed on Oceania and have never been to Cuba. Does anyone have any advice for us?

We're on the same cruise. First off, make sure you have booked your specialy restaurants as they are free. Your room category will dictate how many you get to book. Then, get ready to have a great time eating all of their wonderful dishes! This will be our first time on one of their smaller R class ships as we have only previously sailed on the Riviera.

From the email we received recently the USCG will be inspecting the ship in the morning, so boarding times may be delayed. If you are in the Owners or Vista Suites, they are estimating a boarding time of around noon, penthouse cabins 1 pm and everyone else, yours truly included, at 2 with lunch being served up at the Terrace Cafe.

But, most importantly, bring a positive attitude and you'll have a GREAT time!!

We're on the same cruise. First off, make sure you have booked your specialy restaurants as they are free.

If they have not done them yet it is too late

they can do them once onboard

same goes for O Life free excursions too late to book those

DH and I will board the Oceania Sirena on Friday, May 4 for a 7 day Miami - Miami Timeless Cuba cruise. We've been on lots of cruises previously and to several Caribbean islands, but we've never sailed on Oceania and have never been to Cuba. Does anyone have any advice for us?

Are you looking for port info or ship info??

a bit more specific will help get answers

Thanks LHT for keeping me straight. What is the minimum time before a cruise that you can do any advanced booking?

for the specialties it is about 7 days

Free O life excursions 14 days

before embarkation day

Just no that "country club casual" does not mean jeans or other Carnival wear at dinner.

Didn't visit Cuba on Oceania, but perhaps what few comments I have will help you or others:

Don't worry about not being able to go off on your own. There seems to be a whole lot of hysteria about that, especially after trump had Treasury revise the regulations for Americans visiting the country. I doubt you'll have problems.

I'm not sure how prevalent this is, but when we were there, I tried to use my cell phone. After that it didn't work until we got back to Miami. I had the IT person on our cruise ship look at it, but access was blocked. It happened to some other cruisers and crew members who tried to use their phones in Cuba. To be safe, I would turn your phone off before you get to Cuba and not turn it on until after you've left. IT person says he thinks local telecom company blocked it. Be careful.

As for the ship, we really enjoy dining on the Terrace. Yes, it's a type of buffet but it's a wonderful one, and we like being able to eat outside if the weather is good. In Cuba, it should be!

Be prepared to take lots of pictures of the cars (i.e., more than one photo card, or more room on your phone if you use that for photos). The cars are really, truly everywhere.

We had a great time. Enjoy.

Didn't visit Cuba on Oceania, but perhaps what few comments I have will help you or others:

Don't worry about not being able to go off on your own. There seems to be a whole lot of hysteria about that, especially after trump had Treasury revise the regulations for Americans visiting the country. I doubt you'll have problems.

I'm not sure how prevalent this is, but when we were there, I tried to use my cell phone. After that it didn't work until we got back to Miami. I had the IT person on our cruise ship look at it, but access was blocked. It happened to some other cruisers and crew members who tried to use their phones in Cuba. To be safe, I would turn your phone off before you get to Cuba and not turn it on until after you've left. IT person says he thinks local telecom company blocked it. Be careful.

As for the ship, we really enjoy dining on the Terrace. Yes, it's a type of buffet but it's a wonderful one, and we like being able to eat outside if the weather is good. In Cuba, it should be!

Be prepared to take lots of pictures of the cars (i.e., more than one photo card, or more room on your phone if you use that for photos). The cars are really, truly everywhere.

We had a great time. Enjoy.

Did you use your phone for a phone call or for internet? I had been planning on using my phone onboard while we overnight in Havana. Love to hear thoughts from others about this. Thanks so much.

Regarding the blocked phone, I tried to use it while somewhere between Cienfuegos and Havana at a rest stop while on an excursion. I was making a phone call to the U.S. I may have tried to go on the internet, too, but don't remember. I really don't know how many people were affected, so maybe it's just an occasional thing, or something having to do with my carrier or phone (T Mobile, android). However, I was a bit alarmed. Luckily we were back in Miami after a day at sea, and it appeared to be fine when I turned it on that morning.

Regarding the blocked phone, I tried to use it while somewhere between Cienfuegos and Havana at a rest stop while on an excursion. I was making a phone call to the U.S. I may have tried to go on the internet, too, but don't remember. I really don't know how many people were affected, so maybe it's just an occasional thing, or something having to do with my carrier or phone (T Mobile, android). However, I was a bit alarmed. Luckily we were back in Miami after a day at sea, and it appeared to be fine when I turned it on that morning.

you can use the internet on the ship for free so why worry

Edited by LHT28

you can use the internet on the ship for free so why worry

Yes, but is there any way you can call home using the internet on the ship? I know Oceania has upgraded their service, but if you want to make a call, is it possible to do that using your cell phone and WiFi calling - or Skype or one of those services? If not, could you purchase O's optional internet plan to do that? (And can you do that for just a day?)

I love emailing and texting, but not everyone uses those.

Yes, but is there any way you can call home using the internet on the ship? I know Oceania has upgraded their service, but if you want to make a call, is it possible to do that using your cell phone and WiFi calling - or Skype or one of those services? If not, could you purchase O's optional internet plan to do that? (And can you do that for just a day?)

I love emailing and texting, but not everyone uses those.

Hopefully someone can give you the answer

I am not attached to a cell phone when we travel

I only use the internet for banking & emails and some port info when we travel