Edge vs Other Ships

charlielinda

Denny01,

Thanks for your views...

The RS balcony is less than half the size of the Solstice class.....and if I am not mistaken minus a jacuzzi. Whilst the room dimensions are listed as ‘bigger’ on the Edge the living room area looks much smaller in the picture so where has the space gone?...? If it is making the bathroom or bedroom bigger then it is just space wasted...both are big enough on S class.

I personally feel the room descriptions and visual images leave a bit of a ‘lottery’ as they are so limited in graphics and descriptions.

Re the suite sun deck area...time will tell. My feeling is on these early Edge cruises anyone in a suite will want to experience.....

I sincerely hope you enjoy your Edge cruise (I assume you are booked on one?) and inspire us with your review to book one!

As I said in my previous post we would love to enjoy but are not willing to ‘gamble’ a significant amount of cash on a product we have such limited knowledge of...

I was surprised that the Celebrity Suite balcony is only 51 sq ft and they have a loggia (porch open to the air on one or more sides; apparently it evolved in the Mediterranean region, where an open sitting room with protection from the sun was desirable) as well, instead of a full balcony.

It appears that the RS has a loggia (see what the CS loggia looks like below), in addition to the 72 sq ft balcony and the loggia is included in the cabin sq ft as it is for the CS (hence the missing sq ft you noticed in the RS). It looks like they traded the Jacuzzi space for the loggia.

When I booked, the CS was pretty reasonable (first day on sale) and I toyed with booking one, but in the end, I thought we would enjoy spending more time on the large (hopefully) sunny balcony (163 sq ft) than in the extra inside space (and separate bedroom) of the CS, so went with the aft S1. We will be spending so much time exploring the ship, the cabin will likely be for sun bathing and sleep. :D The loggia is intriguing, but not sure it would be for us.

Royal Suite

Cabin: 687 sq ft

Balcony: 72 sq ft

76-3.jpg

Celebrity Suite

Cabin: 460 sq ft

Balcony: 51 sq ft

72-1.jpg

Edited by vtcruising

What a wonderful Thanksgiving you will have! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Are you the fearless leader of this group?:)

Yes, by default! :cool:

bon voyage

Just thinking about the demographics of the passengers on Celebrity I think for many they shouldn’t procrastinate waiting and hoping for lower prices.

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] here is an optimistic view! But seriously, any long term plans at any age is a bit of a gamble, on more than one level ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] here is an optimistic view! But seriously, any long term plans at any age is a bit of a gamble, on more than one level ;)

I think I am going to use Miched's logic to convince my DH that we should book another expensive cruise on the Edge! :D

I think I am going to use Miched's logic to convince my DH that we should book another expensive cruise on the Edge! :D

In this case I should try to persuade my DH that we should retire and cruise about and SOCI ;)

Wow, you have my admiration - I have been the mother duck for 8 (6 were cruise newbies) and I think that will be my max! :D
Thanks - it is my spouse's high school cronies and a few other friends. They had talked about a group cruise for over 5 years.

After 3 couples committed to it, everyone else did, with a few holdouts still. Could turn out to be 25 in total.

While I do expect a few to drop out, it will be fun regardless.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Thanks - it is my spouse's high school cronies and a few other friends. They had talked about a group cruise for over 5 years.

After 3 couples committed to it, everyone else did, with a few holdouts still. Could turn out to be 25 in total.

While I do expect a few to drop out, it will be fun regardless.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

What fun! Wish I could be a fly on the wall....;)

Since it hasn’t sailed yet, nobody knows if it’s worth what Celebrity seems to think it is��

Exactly. Keep in mind that many of us booked Edge during the initial schedule release period, so our fares were much lower than current fares. We’re booked on the April TA, and the current fares for our cabin class are nearly double our booked fare.

Edited by Silkroad

• 2 weeks later...

We weren’t really looking at Edge per se but we wanted the Greek Isles Itinerary next fall so we decided to go ahead and book an Edge Villa. The price is a stretch but if it’s half as good as described it’ll be worth it to us. If not, we’ll have plenty of time to re-evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We weren’t really looking at Edge per se but we wanted the Greek Isles Itinerary next fall so we decided to go ahead and book an Edge Villa. The price is a stretch but if it’s half as good as described it’ll be worth it to us. If not, we’ll have plenty of time to re-evaluate.

Lucky you! Be sure to let us know how it is.

Me, I think I will go buy a lottery ticket! 😉

Loved the look, hated the price!

As regular RS cruisers and occasional PH bookers we would welcome your opinions!

I haven’t sailed in 18 months and been away from the amazing CruiseCritic boards but taking a TA in October so I’m back. I was curious about the Edge and discovered it looks beautiful and grand. Just for fun I priced a few cruises and the edge seems to double the price of others. Am I imaging that? Is the new ship really worth that difference. I would love to know. I’m sure there will be opinions on both sides but just curious.

It's the hype and demand.