Edge vs Other Ships

charlielinda

I haven’t sailed in 18 months and been away from the amazing CruiseCritic boards but taking a TA in October so I’m back. I was curious about the Edge and discovered it looks beautiful and grand. Just for fun I priced a few cruises and the edge seems to double the price of others. Am I imaging that? Is the new ship really worth that difference. I would love to know. I’m sure there will be opinions on both sides but just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since it hasn’t sailed yet, nobody knows if it’s worth what Celebrity seems to think it is😀

Agreed, yet we paid what they asked and will report back after everyone else who will sail before us...

bon voyage

We have a friend who has booked to sail on Edge in 2019 for her 50th.... she can't remember what it cost, but I'll ask her what she thinks of Edge when she gets back..... Personally I thought Solstice was big enough for us... we didn't get to see everything on Solstice on our recent 12 night cruise

My feelings are that Celebrity wants it to be the showcase flag ship of the fleet and is doing everything it can,

On the Silhouette the BT in the WCB said that he was the winner of a large competition and will be the WCB BT on the Edge. During our cruise he left to attend a special preview and showcase presentation for the Edge. I think that they will try to choose the best personel from all the ships to be on board.

The prices are high and appear to be getting higher. We booked a AQ that was about 50% more than one on the Silhouette for the same week and now it seems like a bargain. What we paid for both of us is what the cabin now cost for one. Looking at cruises years out the prices aren’t decreasing to the price of the other ships.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We are booked for a week on the Edge in an infinity veranda in April 2019. The price was about the same as my Aqua cabin on a 12 day voyage on the Silhouette in February 2019. Hmmm. I will see but the promo on the restaurants that are MDR/- 4 if them and the rest of the photos do seem a large cut above all others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it is the same concept that they use on the RCCL ships it is basically the same menus just a little different decor for each room. The menu may have some items that are unique to that dining room but I doubt if the food will be much different than the rest of the fleet.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The Edge cruises seem to be selling well at those higher prices, so the prices will likely stay up there until the demand drops (or maybe when her sister, Beyond, is launched). Some people are very excited about this new ship and want to get onboard early on and will pay the price (or like me, booked the first week and are paying half what they are charging now) and others will wait to see the reviews and hopefully have a drop in price.

So, is it worth it to pay the current prices? I think each person will need to decide for themselves.

If you want more info about the Edge and see why some of us are going on the earlier cruises, you might want to visit the Edge sub-forum and maybe you will catch "Edge fever." :D

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1095

We booked a S1 sky suite in March 2017 for March 2019. It is a 7 night Western Caribbean at $3000 pp with all 4 perks, plus $250 in OBC for booking on board. Right now a S3 sky suite is $5199 pp with all 4 perks. We will see if in time the prices will come down after a year of being in service.

Personally I thought Solstice was big enough for us... we didn't get to see everything on Solstice on our recent 12 night cruise

You do realize that Edge is not bigger than S-class...

It is just different.

We are among those who have real concerns about certain features on the Edge ships and if they will suit us. Our concerns include...

We usually book a RS. On Edge the room looks substantially smaller. Book a bigger room and the price is equivalent to a new family car!

There are far more suites, I can see the suite restaurant and lounge being very busy. Busier areas often result in less good and less personalised service.

If every suite guest wants to use the sun deck where are they going to sit? Lovely as the suite deck looks on the pictures it doesn’t have anything like the number of sunbeds needed....Many of the suites are suited to larger family groups. Add several families with children into the mix and I can’t see the pool and pool area being very restful. Don’t get me wrong the families who have booked suites have every right to enjoy the area but I think many guests who have booked a suite have done so in the belief they are booking a more ‘relaxing’ experience.

We sincerely hope our concerns are not valid. We love the S class but it would be nice to have a little variety! We will be following reviews with interest (especially if the price drops)!

Is the new ship really worth that difference.

Right now the ship is worth the price people are willing to pay for it. The prices are climbing and people still book like crazy. Celebrity is doing the right thing: making money on it.

Personally we did not book in the beginning because Edge was only going to the Caribbean. A no go for us.

Then we said we would wait until nicer cruises come out and until the hype is over... which is probably going to take a few years.

On our last cruise we could not resist any more. We booked Edge for the Greek Isles cruise on board. The price was higher than what we usually pay. However, we kept it on an acceptable level by adapting a bit. We did not book Aqua Class as usual because IMO it did not make sence. Edge has so many new venues to choose from (and of course we want to try them all) that we would only go to BLU, which is the reason to book AQ for us, maybe ome or two times... so why book AQ and pay 2500 Euro more.

Then we thought about an oceanview stateroom and found the new Panoramic Oceanview (floor to ceiling windows) for 1,000 less and thought: we don’t ever sit on the balcony anyway. But we’ll have the same light coming in... so we booked it.

The price was still higher but we do not need to spend much on excursions for the ports on the itinerary (Greek Isles are easy DIY) and flights to Rome for us are inexpensive. So bottom line: price was still a bit higher but worth it to us.

BTW: the new suite categories on these cruises were 34,000 and 62,000 EURO for 11 nights. They are sold out and the agent told us they are almost sold out for months... can you imagine :eek:

Good grief. At those suite rates you would almost be better to get some like minded friends and go charter a superyacht. It would have to be one of the bigger ones that can hold more than 20 people but even so....

Or you could just book a Regent 30+ day cruise in a nice suite I guess. That is some Edge Premium but if people are happy to pay it then they must see the perceived value and I hope they find it wonderful.

Personally I think I will wait until Beyond (or as I find my self referring to it 'one step' (you have to be a fan of 70s British music or even 60s ska music to get this!) has diluted the premiums for the Edge class.

I already got burned in my younger years buying new electronics at high prices only to either see them disappear [laser discs] or drop by about 400% in price [CD Players], now I just wait until the initial rush is over, I can wait a couple of years to sail the Edge, hopefully prices come down to a reasonable level.

Just thinking about the demographics of the passengers on Celebrity I think for many they shouldn’t procrastinate waiting and hoping for lower prices.

For the younger folks it may be ok to wait but for many of us that are older who knows what the future will be like.

I have crusies booked into 2020 and hopefully will be here to enjoy them. If not I will be in a happier place and I guess won’t really care about it. But while still here I want to enjoy it what is available.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

You do realize that Edge is not bigger than S-class...

It is just different.

Millennium is 90,940 tons with 2170 passengers

Solstice is 122,000 tons with 2850 passengers

Reflection is 126,000 tons with 3046 passengers

Edge is 129,500 tons with 2908 passengers

When it comes to the Celebrity ships the Edge does seem to be the largest ship by tonnage, but not the largest by passengers. I have heard people say that the Edge is in between Millennium class and Solstice class.

Right now my fall 2019 cruise is between MSC Yacht and Escape suite, (have oasis suite and infinity suite already booked) really enjoyed Celebrity perks except no reserved pool seating which I have had on last several RCCL cruises

Some interesting concerns, but here is some feedback (subjective of course):

the cost: I booked because I want to experience a new ship that hopefully continues what I find enticing on the Celebrity Line. And am willing to pay the additional cost. If I’m willing to pay, then it’s worth it; if I’m not, it isn’t worth it and I should book another X ship or another LIne, or wait a year or so.

Royal Suite looks smaller: The data indicates the Edge RS is definiately larger, its’ 678sft. the Solistice Class RS is 538, The Edge RS baloney is definitely smaller. And the concern over all the Suite people going to the pool the same time or a crowded dining area? I personally don’t expect all Suite people doing either at the same time, and haven’t seen any special dining area on any X ship crowded.

Won’t go on Edge because it’s all Carribean cruises until later in year: I’m not a Carribean fan either, live in the Fla Panhandle and we have better beaches, better restaurants and I can buy Chinese stuff here as well as at some island. I’m going to experience the ship. but fully understand waiting.

As to waiting: there are few Infinity Baloncy’s left on our Late March cruises and I doubt very much pricing will drop for an extended time. Very subjective option. Once you start seeing the reviews, which unless Celebrity has completely blown it, Edge will become even more popular. I bet the food will be actually edible in all those various MDR’s open to all and the specialty restaurants look fun.

And by the way, good luck organizing 20+ ‘friends’ to cruise with you on a Luxury yacht. I had problems getting 2 or 3 couples organized for 1/2 day tours!

Enjoy either jumping on and trying it out; waiting and seeing actual reviews; going on another ship or Line. Heck we are talking about one enjoyable experience, crusing. Nothing like being pampered, seeing various ports and then looking out and seeing that sharp,clear horizon you only have at sea.

And by the way, good luck organizing 20+ ‘friends’ to cruise with you on a Luxury yacht. I had problems getting 2 or 3 couples organized for 1/2 day tours!

Lol. It was a hypothetical analysis only - honest. I would have to find 20 friends who were all prepared to sub me at those prices.:)

Denny01,

Thanks for your views...

The RS balcony is less than half the size of the Solstice class.....and if I am not mistaken minus a jacuzzi. Whilst the room dimensions are listed as ‘bigger’ on the Edge the living room area looks much smaller in the picture so where has the space gone?...? If it is making the bathroom or bedroom bigger then it is just space wasted...both are big enough on S class.

I personally feel the room descriptions and visual images leave a bit of a ‘lottery’ as they are so limited in graphics and descriptions.

Re the suite sun deck area...time will tell. My feeling is on these early Edge cruises anyone in a suite will want to experience.....

I sincerely hope you enjoy your Edge cruise (I assume you are booked on one?) and inspire us with your review to book one!

As I said in my previous post we would love to enjoy but are not willing to ‘gamble’ a significant amount of cash on a product we have such limited knowledge of...

I wasn't willing to book at those prices. Will see what happens. I live in SW Florida, so can always jump on at the last minute if prices get reasonable. If they don't, oh well. My next adventure is MSC Yacht class in a yacht club suite with NO single supplement. Beat that, Celebrity!

As of today, we have 17 going on the Thanksgiving sailing Nov 2019!

Which will be great as we can each be divided up between dining rooms and rotate with whom we eat each night as well, including going to a SD once or twice.

The only things we have yet to decide is what to do on Thanksgiving day... but that will work itself out to be sure.

Every one of us are excited to be on a new ship... and damn the torpedoes! LOL

bonvoyage

I wasn't willing to book at those prices. Will see what happens. I live in SW Florida, so can always jump on at the last minute if prices get reasonable. If they don't, oh well. My next adventure is MSC Yacht class in a yacht club suite with NO single supplement. Beat that, Celebrity!

hc - that is great!

bon voyage

Which will be great as we can each be divided up between dining rooms and rotate with whom we eat each night as well, including going to a SD once or twice.

The only things we have yet to decide is what to do on Thanksgiving day... but that will work itself out to be sure.

bonvoyage

Sounds like you will have a fantastic time....look forward to your reviews!

bonvoyage

What a wonderful Thanksgiving you will have! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Are you the fearless leader of this group?:)