Deposits: Refundable vs. Non-Refundable

... Had I not thought about asking at the last minute I would have been stuck with a nonrefundable when I didn't choose it. They really should make it clear that one price is for nonrefundable and a different price for refundable. This way people will know what they are booking.

Ellen can confirm, but i think that if you book non-refundable, there is some short grace period where you can cancel and get a full refund. Maybe 48 hours?

Haven't focused on this much I admit.

Is non-refundable really lost money or can you exchange or move it to a new reservation?

If you change ship and/or sailing date, you lose $100 per person. The remainder can be applied to another cruise, but expires after a year.

Ellen can confirm, but i think that if you book non-refundable, there is some short grace period where you can cancel and get a full refund. Maybe 48 hours?

Thanks for the info and that's good to know. I probably wouldn't have noticed it because I told him that we always book refundable and I wanted this one refundable. I guess nonrefundable just might be drilled into their brains. I don't know why I don't book nonrefundable because 99% of the time we always go. Actually haven't had to cancel one yet, but we haven't done that many cruises. We also always purchase cancel for any reason insurance. Maybe we should just go to nonrefundable for our non-suite cabins because I know on the suites we will lose our deposits.

And a $100 per person change fee....due up front when the change request is made.

That is the non-refundable portion.

Over that amount is "refunded" as a future cruise credit.

There WAS a 24 hour courtesy window to cancel a reservation but that was before the start of non refundable. Don't know if it is still the same now

There WAS a 24 hour courtesy window to cancel a reservation but that was before the start of non refundable. Don't know if it is still the same now

Well, from my point of view, opting for non-refundable is even more reason to have a grace period, but for some strange reason RC does not always agree with my point of view. :rolleyes: Hopefully they still honor the 24-hour free cancel/change period.

Well, from my point of view, opting for non-refundable is even more reason to have a grace period, but for some strange reason RC does not always agree with my point of view. :rolleyes: Hopefully they still honor the 24-hour free cancel/change period.

I think they do. About a month ago my sister-in -law decided she wanted to join us on our November cruise. Somehow she booked the following week. Luckily she posted a screenshot of her reservation on Instagram and my daughter saw that she booked the wrong cruise. It was a nonrefundable fare but she was still able to have it switched without a change fee.

I think they do. About a month ago my sister-in -law decided she wanted to join us on our November cruise. Somehow she booked the following week. Luckily she posted a screenshot of her reservation on Instagram and my daughter saw that she booked the wrong cruise. It was a nonrefundable fare but she was still able to have it switched without a change fee.

Good to hear, thanks!