Anyone ever sailed a Freedom Class Transatlantic?

After canceling my plans to do Symphony's TA, I was looking into cruises and if I were to replace it with another TA, I would go with the Independence of the Seas from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.

Same departure date as SY, leaves from UK, refurbished ship, the very one that got me into cruising and visits some great Caribbean ports.

My question is - How is a TA on a Freedom Class vs a larger ship? Would I be easily bored? I'm not definitely going, but more looking for advice on that front as I have no TA experience.

My problem with the TAs from Southampton lately is that they have no European stops once leaving England. They just go straight to the Caribbean or Bahamas and have a few stops there before ending up in the US mainland. I prefer the TAs from Barcelona or Rome that usually have some stops in Spain, Portugal, Canaries, Azores, Madeira, etc.

Hi Joe

We've done a couple of TA's from Southampton, one on Indy and one on Oasis and I would pick the Indy as the better one, there are more indoor things to do on her if the weather is not great, and it wasn't when we did the TA on Oasis so everyone was looking for things to do inside and not on the open deck or in the park or boardwalk. The solarium on the Indy is partially undercover so you can at least sit there if it's raining, and there is a viking crown on Indy but the one on Oasis class is now a suite lounge.

As for Bob's point about European ports, I see his point being from the US wanting to see more of Europe, but as a Brit I prefer the set up now where we see more of the warmer climes.

Hope this helps.

I've only done 7-night Caribbean cruises on both classes but my feeling has always been that I'm fine with either one and part of me prefers Freedom class. I only got to sail on Freedom once and was sad to see her replaced by Oasis at my home port (PC) at the time but have grown to love Oasis (just in time for her to be replaced by Harmony of course). I don't care much for the boardwalk so I wouldn't miss that. I do enjoy Central Park on Oasis class but honestly, as long as there's a promenade, I'm fine with any ship Voyager class and above. (He says as he's about to board Radiance but that's for the destination and my wife was set on southbound for our upcoming Alaska cruise next month so I had no say).

I'm a simple guy who likes to eat so I would never get bored. :) As long as there are the usual food options and a Diamond Lounge, I'll be fine. I only mention having the promenade b/c I really enjoy the openness and ability to not feel like you're on a ship without having to go outside.

My problem with the TAs from Southampton lately is that they have no European stops once leaving England. They just go straight to the Caribbean or Bahamas and have a few stops there before ending up in the US mainland.

Navigator goes to Boston and NY (overnight).

We have done a TA on Oasis and Allure. Last year we did the 15 night Southampton to FLL. on Independence. We prefer the Oasis class and I was a little worried that the Indy would seem to small and not enough to do. My fears were misguided, Indy was a great cruise, had fantastic weather, the 10 straight sea days were a perfect fit and the 5 islands at the end came just at the right time. Ship was 75% Brits with Americans, Germans, Norwegians and Scots making up most of the remaining passengers. Have the Symphony TA booked for this Oct. but the Indy would be a real close second choice. You would be on the Indy after her dry dock which would make a already great ship only better. happy cruising