Drinking straws

tiger-91

For those of you who don't seem to grasp the concept of damage a plastic straw can cause, here is a video that may start to help you learn:

Too much alcohol can cause damage also. Are we going to move to dry cruises also. Because some fools can't seem to throw their trash in the proper receptacle and they just let it fly into the ocean, everyone else has to suffer a little bit. I will simply buy my own and bring them on the cruise with me.

For those of you who don't seem to grasp the concept of damage a plastic straw can cause, here is a video that may start to help you learn:

We grasp it. Some of us just choose not to be hypocrites by shaming others when we've got our own strikes in the environmentalist cololumn. While you're supporting cruising I won't take your argument against straws seriously.

I'm on the NCL Jewel and just ordered a frozen Bushwhacker at the pool bar. The bartender brought it to me and apologized that there is no straw.

I thought at first he meant they ran out or just didn't have any, but he went on to explain that the company said to no longer give out straws.

It's not easy to drink a frozen drink without a straw.

And this is the third day. I had no issues in earlier days of getting a straw. I had to ask for one each time, but I got one.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy.

To whom do I complain?

why would you want to complain? It is an environmental issue and what is best for the ocean, We were on the Dawn last week and attended a QandA meeting. They said they are working on getting some sort of straw that is better, but don't know when this will happen. I am not a huge nut case when it come to the environment but appreciate the attempt to to keep our oceans clean.

Shipwide, and supposivly all lines. It is a conservation measure, some states and cities will also be banning them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

They already are. Some restaurants are issuing reusable stainless straws with some drinks. This was on the news a few weeks ago.

Dunkin Donuts still has a straw dispenser inside it's stores. I guess that they haven't caught on yet.

This is perhaps the stupidest issue ever discussed in the history of the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As the alleged superior race we need to put animals before our selfish selves! We have mouths for drinking and aquatic fish, turtles etc die from plastic waste. Of course we eat those fish which are eating the plastic!! Also, we need to think to the future and give our kids and grandchildren a planet worth living in...

How many years does it take to decompose a...

PLASTICS:

-plastic bag: 10-500 years

-plastic straw: up to 200 years

-plastic water bottle: 450 years

-plastic beverage container: 500+ years

-plastic 6 pack holder: 450 years

Let's put the planet first so that we can enjoy it in the future.

The question isn't do we like straws with our drinks because yes, most people do. The point is that animals are seriously injured or starve to death because of plastic. We in turn will ingest this plastic.

maxresdefault.jpg

Plastic drinking straws are now the #5 worst plastic pollution problem. More than 500 million straws are thrown away each day in the U.S. alone! They are found by the 1,000's even on the most remote beaches in the world. A big push is on to eliminate them. Of course NCL could have done a better job of informing all the crew what the reason was, as well as come up with a reasonable degradable substitute.

I wasn’t aware the ships were tossing the straws overboard.

Individual bottles of water need to be banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Instead of "banning" straws, bottles, or any other small plastic item, how about adding recycle bins throughout the ships? Like several people have stated, just because there are some inconsiderate people doesn't mean everyone should have to give up things they enjoy.

I don’t see how they should be able to stop you. But to be honest bringing plastic straws would be pretty lame so at least take stainless steel or similar ones.

No thanks. I'll bring a plastic ones and dispose of them properly. I think walking around with a stainless steel straw all day would be "pretty lame."

No thanks. I'll bring a plastic ones and dispose of them properly. I think walking around with a stainless steel straw all day would be "pretty lame."

I agree with you, I'll be bringing my plastic ones also. Which I will make sure get disposed of properly.

As the alleged superior race we need to put animals before our selfish selves! We have mouths for drinking and aquatic fish, turtles etc die from plastic waste. Of course we eat those fish which are eating the plastic!! Also, we need to think to the future and give our kids and grandchildren a planet worth living in...

How many years does it take to decompose a...

PLASTICS:

-plastic bag: 10-500 years

-plastic straw: up to 200 years

-plastic water bottle: 450 years

-plastic beverage container: 500+ years

-plastic 6 pack holder: 450 years

I am all for us taking care of the planet, however; these "statistics" are misleading. The number of years presented above are how long plastic takes to decompose in a landfill. Do some basic research on a landfill and you will notice that they are designed to PREVENT decomposition of the material in them. The creators of the landfill do not want the decomposed material to leach into local waterways. Most plastic left out in sunlight will decompose within a year. A type of plastic named PLA can decompose in as little as 45 days.

Its happening on other lines as well.

Just off a Carnival cruise where pretty much straws were by request only. When being served a drink they would not serve you with a straw

Straws by request is fine (many folks don't care and it saves money). Banning straws, like banning soda, is ridiculous.

The question isn't do we like straws with our drinks because yes, most people do. The point is that animals are seriously injured or starve to death because of plastic. We in turn will ingest this plastic.

maxresdefault.jpg

What a shame!! The poor turtle has a coke problem and we are fighting over plastic straws for 9 pages.:eek::eek:

Unless we want to cruise in a sea full of plastic then we need to stop using it! We managed to drink beverages thousands of years before straws were introduced!

And just where could you find a pina colada a thousand years ago? :rolleyes:

So we just had this discussion at our family table the other day and we had mixed thoughts as I personally don’t like using a straw but my wife does.

I do know that it is a real environmental issue and it’s not just straws.

Here is a link to a video about a product a local brewery came up with in my local town that is really cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk