OBC -- Where does it come from?

ggo85

I see so many folks on this site referring to use of OBC. My question is where it comes from -- the sources. I realize that OBC is sometimes included with a booking promotion (we got $150 pp for an upcoming cruise which is the most we've ever had). But I see folks using it for big ticket items, which suggests that they have a lot so am curious as to how one accumulates it.

No complaints -- just curiosity.

Many travel agent offer very good OBC's as an inducement to book with them. You can also acquire by booking and if in a suite that offers Go Best (150 pp OBC).

The OBC's directly offered by Celebrity are generally non-refundable while the Travel Agent OBC's are generally refundable.

There is also a website (not permitted to mention name) that allows travel agents to bid for your cruise - well worth a look. Generally the higher priced the cruise the higher the OBC.

In addition to periodic cruise line promotions which offer OBC, many travel agencies offer OBC, which is usually refundable. The one large one we've used often gives OBC of 10% of the basic cruise price; this can be quite a substantial amount on a longer cruise. We've ended up getting a refund of over $400 on 1 cruise - just didn't drink enough! .There can also be OBC for military service ranging from $100-$250, depending on the length of the cruise (Princess).

There is sometimes a trade-off - the agency we use does charge a $50/person cancellation fee, though we've had them waive it if we cancelled one and booked a different cruise. Many people object to this fee on principle, but we've come out far ahead $$wise using the agency.

I haven't booked with a TA in . . . forever, so that's obviously why I didn't consider that source. Good to know for the future.

When did you book with, I presume, Celebrity? if it is not more than 60 days ago, you can transfer your booking to a TA and you can get their OBC as well as Celebrity's. Some people own shares in Royal Caribbean and you can get OBC from them. However, it has become harder to use this perk as it is not combinable with anything but senior, military and residence rates. if there are no perks included on your cruise (an inside cabin or a transatlantic, for example) then you can use the shareholder credit on that. I wouldn't buy them just for the OBC though, even though they have dropped $30 in the last while. These are some of the ways people accumulate OBC's, as well as what others have told you. Enjoy your cruise.

For years we never booked though an agency. Wanted to "control" our reservation. About 7 years ago we switched to booking with Celebrity then moving to a TA. We do cheaper cruises so we never get a lot but usually another $300 added to our OBC. Between booking on board if they have a special and using the perks and TA we had up to $900 OBC on a $3,000 cruise. But it only happened once .

If you switch to the right agency they will have people working all hours so you don't miss out on price drops over the weekend. So we never lost control, just call the TA instead of Celebrity.

The one thing I think is true is I'd have a better chance of an upgrade if I left my reservation with Celebrity. But only a hunch .

Our OBC comes from our Royal C credit card points. We use points towards final payment amt and also for OBC...

Have not rec'd any OBC for booking recently now that triple perks have disappeared...maybe next time!

For years we never booked though an agency. Wanted to "control" our reservation

This is me exactly! I hate the thought that, if I see a deal or something and it's a WE or I can't get hold of the TA, I might lose out. I suppose if one has a super-attentive/responsive TA, then it's a win-win. But I worry about not having that control . . . have never received an upgrade on any cruise/any line in 30 years of cruising with and w/o TAs, so that's not an issue for me in terms of choosing/not choosing a TA.

Still, I may need to rethink for future cruises. Our current one was booked more than a year ago, so too late to change.

BTW, didn't mean to hijack my own thread.:)