Crystal River Cruises Cabin Credit Suggestions?

kmtoner

We are booked to travel down the Rhine on Crystal's new Debussy on May 20. We are excited, but also a bit stumped about how we might spend our $1,000 cabin credit. So far, a Vintage Room reservation is about all we can come up with, and if it goes forward, it will only chew up about 50% of our cabin credit. The shore excursions we selected have no extra fees. The only other options that occur to us are premium wines or spa services. Are we missing other good options? Thanks in advance for your good ideas.

We had the same problem on Crystal Bach recently. First of all, your US$ credit will be converted to Euro which is the onboard currency. So you'll end up with about €838. There are few opportunities apart from those you mentioned. There is also laundry which is very reasonably priced and if you want dry-cleaning, it can be arranged in certain ports. Vintage Room requires minimum participation and is not a sure event unless you buy the entire room. Spa services are outrageously expensive and a massage with facial would eat up a huge chunk of your credit. We ended up with leftover credit which we donated to staff. It's possible to allocate monies to individual staff members or to the entire crew via a form that's available at Reception. You're in for a real treat sailing on Crystal Debussy!

On Crystal are there any opportunities to purchase items? We sailed on Uniworld's Maria Theresa, and while there were no shops, there were a few wall display cases that displayed jewelry and the opportunity to purchase such items. Great way to have used our credits.

On Crystal are there any opportunities to purchase items? We sailed on Uniworld's Maria Theresa, and while there were no shops, there were a few wall display cases that displayed jewelry and the opportunity to purchase such items. Great way to have used our credits.

No shops on the Crystal river boats.

While the complimentary wine is good, there are some wine selection of paid wine list (the connoisseur list) is great and is comparatively decently price compared with land based restaurant.

If you like wine, get to know the sommeliers (they man the bistro when the restaurant is not operational). I found them to be knowledgeable and helpful with suggestions. Its a good educational experience.

• 6 months later...

I was recently on the Crystal Mozart. No, there are no stores. I did inquire at the front desk and they made it sound like I could buy a robe or something similar (not interested in that). They gave me some suggestions of wine, laundry, private driver to a museum or attraction, private driver to the airport, massages or hair appointments, Michelin restaurants listed on their shore excursion list, and extra tips (ask for form at front desk).

I did not have that much $200 US. I had laundry done one day (25 Euros) and then used the rest for extra tips. I did run into 2 women who ended up with something like $1100 US in funds each. They did have Crystal arrange a driver to take them to a museum and around one afternoon, had spa treatments, had Crystal arrange a driver to the airport for themselves and some friends (seperate car) that they had met. They looked at going to a winery one day but that didn't work out. They also looked at speciality wine. They struggled to spend the money! They had a Michelin dinner included in their cabin as it was a higher end cabin.

Since the OP has returned, I hope they come back and tell us how they spent the money.

Even thought all gratuities are included in the all-inclusive Crystal river cruises, it's hard not to give additional gratuities to some of the unbelievably friendly and helpful crew members you come in contact with.  We used the entirety of our $500 onboard credit for this purpose, and I know others on our Mahler cruise did the same.

As mentioned previously, the spa services are ridiculously over-priced, the included (free) excursions are generally good or excellent, the Vintage Room is very expensive (and, really, who needs it when the dinners at Waterside are so good).  The Michelin dinner experiences have not gotten such good reviews, especially since the restaurants don't let you choose from the full menu, but only from a very limited menu, and the experience of getting there in a group by bus and often sitting in a separate eating area takes away from the overall atmosphere you would expect at such a restaurant.  The typical dinner on board is usually better than those restaurants anyway, IMHO. 

On 5/14/2018 at 5:01 PM, kmtoner said:

We are booked to travel down the Rhine on Crystal's new Debussy on May 20. We are excited, but also a bit stumped about how we might spend our $1,000 cabin credit. So far, a Vintage Room reservation is about all we can come up with, and if it goes forward, it will only chew up about 50% of our cabin credit. The shore excursions we selected have no extra fees. The only other options that occur to us are premium wines or spa services. Are we missing other good options? Thanks in advance for your good ideas.

Having sailed both Crystal Mozart (10 days) and Crystal Bach (14 days) I can share that it’s going to be impossible to spend that much credit, unless you eat in the Vintage Room every night or give it to the staff (which we did).  I would love to know how you got so much credit, I could use that for my upcoming cruise on Crystal Symphony out of Rio.  

4 minutes ago, Netta7 said:

Everyone has mentioned how expensive the spa is.   Does anyone recall some prices or have a price list?   I looked online and could not find one.  

I did the spa on the Mozart in the spring, 2017 and it was cheaper (accounting for the exchange rate from Euros to dollars) than the Symphony/Serenity. Even if it has gone up substantially, it's "free" if you are using "free" money. I have a Bach coming up in the spring and that's probably what I'll do with my OBC.