Platinum on Princess and just booked our 1st HAL cruise.

CineGraphic

We booked our January 5th sailing on the Royal Princess just over a year ago, but today I saw some very low pricing on HAL's Nieuw Statendam which leaves a day later, so I thought we'd finally give HAL a try. Although most ports are different, we stop at Grand Cayman which was the only port we really wanted to see again anyway. Plus, we'll be able to compare HAL's Half Moon Cay to Princess Cay. Even after giving up free grats and obc on our Royal sailing, we are saving money, so it was an easy decision to make. Our TA agreed, knowing that we've already sailed the Royal and the Regal.

Now, all we have to do, is learn everything there is to know about HAL....we're so used to Princess and how they do things!

We booked our January 5th sailing on the Royal Princess just over a year ago, but today I saw some very low pricing on HAL's Nieuw Statendam which leaves a day later, so I thought we'd finally give HAL a try. Although most ports are different, we stop at Grand Cayman which was the only port we really wanted to see again anyway. Plus, we'll be able to compare HAL's Half Moon Cay to Princess Cay. Even after giving up free grats and obc on our Royal sailing, we are saving money, so it was an easy decision to make. Our TA agreed, knowing that we've already sailed the Royal and the Regal.

Now, all we have to do, is learn everything there is to know about HAL....we're so used to Princess and how they do things!

Hard call since the newer, larger ships like the one you are taking is probably more like the larger Princess ships than the smaller older HAL ships most of us still sail. Look for posts that discuss or compare compare the newer HAL Konigsdam and Princess to give you a better idea of what you can expect to find on the brand new Nieuw Statendam.

Trying to understand "HAL" in general today is hard since it has primarily been a different product in the past with its smaller, more traditionally classic cruise ships. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and probably best to not go on board with a Princess check list - it is what it is for the very reasons you chose this ship and itinerary - good value entry price and an itinerary you wanted to visit. Room, board, safety, general cruise routine and layouts - they will differ in detail more than substance. And both HAL and Princess get high marks on the welcoming professional and crew of their staff and crew.

However, here is a direct quote describing the two lines by none other than the CEO of CCL - parent company for both cruise lines: HAL is Midwestern, even if passengers do not live there; Princess has a more California vibe.

(The joke with that description since I live in California, that is the last vibe I want for my vacation. I much prefer more low-key, sober and quiet; not edgy and hyper-active. )

Hard call since the newer, larger ships like the one you are taking is probably more like the larger Princess ships than the smaller older HAL ships most of us still sail. Look for posts that discuss or compare compare the newer HAL Konigsdam and Princess to give you a better idea of what you can expect to find on the brand new Nieuw Statendam.

Trying to understand "HAL" in general today is hard since it has primarily been a different product in the past with its smaller, more traditionally classic cruise ships. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and probably best to not go on board with a Princess check list - it is what it is for the very reasons you chose this ship and itinerary - good value entry price and an itinerary you wanted to visit. Room, board, safety, general cruise routine and layouts - they will differ in detail more than substance. And both HAL and Princess get high marks on the welcoming professional and crew of their staff and crew.

However, here is a direct quote describing the two lines by none other than the CEO of CCL - parent company for both cruise lines: HAL is Midwestern, even if passengers do not live there; Princess has a more California vibe.

(The joke with that description since I live in California, that is the last vibe I want for my vacation. I much prefer more low-key, sober and quiet; not edgy and hyper-active. )

The funny thing is those of us on the East Coast think Calif is so laid back!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed on both the Regal Princess and the Royal Princess and loved both ships. We have also sailed 3 times on the Koningsdam, sister to the soon to be launched Nieuw Statendam. IMHO, if you liked the Regal and Royal, you are going to like the Nieuw Statendam.

They are more alike than different. There are some things we like better about HAL, especially on the ships we are talking about.

The shower on the Koningsdam was a big glass walk in, with no annoying curtain like on Princess.

We think the food on HAL is slightly better than Princess, especially in the specialty restaurants.

If you like music, the music walk has lots to offer.

The crew are wonderful, friendly and welcoming.

I think it's good that you are going to try a new cruiseline. It's nice to have different options available when you go to choose a cruise.

We are long time Princess cruisers (since the mid 80's) and we also love the HAL product. Our new favourite ship is Koningsdam, a Pinnacle Class ship, as is Nieuw Statendam. Very modern large ship, more like Celebrity S Class than Princess. There are a few things about Princess we like better......International Cafe, Lido buffet, entertainment ( probably HAL's weakest point) and some things about Koningdam that we like better.....main pool area with sofas and nice tub chairs and coffee tables and an upper level with queen size lounge beds and lounge chairs......we like the food better on HAL in the MDR. too. Cabins are comparable.......interior and o/v are quite small on both, but veranda cabins on Koningdam are bigger than the standard veranda cabins on Princess. HAL offer extremely good itineraries, IMHO better than Princess.

We love both lines, but we now seem to pick a HAL cruise over a Princess cruise. We have two more booked on Koningsdam. Nieuw Statendam will probably be even better, as it's brand new and probably improved. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise!

Feel free to ask any questions about HAL -- lots of people here to help you.

One thing you should know since you have sailed on Princess -- you are now a 1 star Mariner on HAL. You both should be given Mariner numbers which will qualify you to attend the Mariner's brunch near the end of the cruise.

Feel free to ask any questions about HAL -- lots of people here to help you.

One thing you should know since you have sailed on Princess -- you are now a 1 star Mariner on HAL. You both should be given Mariner numbers which will qualify you to attend the Mariner's brunch near the end of the cruise.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

I asked HAL to assign us Mariner numbers a few years ago, when I first started considering sailing with them.

My wife and I were just talking during dinner about how well we know how Princess does things, we have so much to learn. We will miss being able to do our own laundry, so what are our options? Did I read somewhere that for $7.00 per day I can get laundry done!?

Yes, HAL has unlimited laundry for $7 a day. Also they have an option of $20 for all you can stuff in a laundry bag. Their bags are sturdy fabric and you can stuff LOTS in there. We have done both and have always been happy with the results.

We are Elite on Princess, have sailed several btbs on Royal and Regal. We are also 3* on HAL, but had only experienced the Mid-size ships. This past March we chose to take a 20 day Caribbean on the Koningsdam, (sister to the Nieuw Statendam). We were delighted with the ship, the music walk, the specialty restaurants. We were impressed with the variety in the buffet. There was an omelet station, a salad bar, an Asian stir fry bar, a smoothie station, an ice cream station, and more. Not self service, but much more sanitary. The Dive In (burgers) and New York deli (sandwiches and pizza) were also both excellent. The room stewards and waiters were among the best.

Although we missed the free laundry on Princess, we chose the $20/bag option, a bargain considering how full we stuffed the bag. We made up for the internet minutes by finding Internet cafes at each port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A question about free gratuities:

For this cruise, our fare includes free gratuities. It's stated as much on the invoice from my TA, but there is no mention of gratuities anywhere on the HA cruise personalizer. In the past with Princess, there was a place to pre-pay grats, and if you had free grats, they would show as being pre-paid. Am I not looking in the right place!?

I’ve cruised both HAL and Princess and love them both, but HAL is a little more “upscale”. There are some minor differences that just move it up a notch in the luxury class. I hope people don’t judge, because I’m really not a snob, but here are some of the extra luxury touches you’ll see on a HAL ship: fresh flowers throughout the ship and on the dining tables in all the dining rooms, including the buffet; Princess supplements fresh flowers with plastic and silk, especially in the pool areas. All the public restrooms have actual cloth towels rather than paper towels which you’ll get on Princess. The wardrobes in the cabins have doors, whereas the closet areas on the Princess ships I’ve been on are open (no doors). The buffet on HAL is better organized with different themed stations which really cuts down on lines. But you’ll miss the International Cafe on Princess Ships. So you’ll need to plan times to get food because no venue (other than room service) is open 24/7 on HAL. I also think the food quality and variety is better on HAL. So I definitely think you’ll like HAL if you like Princess and the new ship will be beautiful. If they have a Tamarind restaurant, I highly recommend it! The Asian Fusion cuisine is exceptional. Enjoy!

20 cruises and counting!

I’ve cruised both HAL and Princess and love them both, but HAL is a little more “upscale”. There are some minor differences that just move it up a notch in the luxury class. I hope people don’t judge, because I’m really not a snob, but here are some of the extra luxury touches you’ll see on a HAL ship: fresh flowers throughout the ship and on the dining tables in all the dining rooms, including the buffet; Princess supplements fresh flowers with plastic and silk, especially in the pool areas. All the public restrooms have actual cloth towels rather than paper towels which you’ll get on Princess. The wardrobes in the cabins have doors, whereas the closet areas on the Princess ships I’ve been on are open (no doors). The buffet on HAL is better organized with different themed stations which really cuts down on lines. But you’ll miss the International Cafe on Princess Ships. So you’ll need to plan times to get food because no venue (other than room service) is open 24/7 on HAL. I also think the food quality and variety is better on HAL. So I definitely think you’ll like HAL if you like Princess and the new ship will be beautiful. If they have a Tamarind restaurant, I highly recommend it! The Asian Fusion cuisine is exceptional. Enjoy!

20 cruises and counting!

Thank you “mom” for your insight. I appreciate the time it took for you to share it with me.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

I did not know that past cruises on Princess applied at all for our first cruise on HAL.

Our TA is very experienced and knowledgeable, and I don't think she has mentioned this, or has gotten us a Mariner Number?

This does not mean any savings on the cruise fare, right.

The funny thing is those of us on the East Coast think Calif is so laid back!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought that too until I got reassigned here. Definetely not laid back unless all you do is surf! 🤣🤣

20 cruises and counting!