Somewhat LIVE - on Ovation: Lisbon - Amsterdam - Copenhagen (and beyond)

NJBelle

So my apologies to NJBelle for taking the thread a little off topic. To bring it back, NJBelle how is this cruise part deux going? I believe the ship will be in Hamburg today, hope the weather is dry. Have you met SLSD yet?

Can I be boring and mundane and ask about power outlets in Ovation Veranda Suites. I was on the Quest this year and wisely took an extension cable as the only power outlet was on the floor. Is the Ovation equipped for the modern era with proper power outlets by the desk?

I've spent over 100 days in total on Quest and I could have sworn there were also power outlets at the desk (next to bathroom) and in the bar.

To answer your question, there are at least 5 on Encore and I assume that Ovation would be the same or better.

If you like Vegas you'll prefer Regent Explorer. If you like Milan you'll prefer the Ovation.

Thats funny. I found Explorer to be Vegas chic (I'd include a term between Vegas and chic but CC would probably censor it). Explorer was designed/built on the "just toss money at it" (ask about the re-design of the ship to accommodate their multi million dollar prayer wheel/restaurant entrance) principle rather than what looks/feels/works best.

I had a great time on this cruise. The crew was fantastic. I thank NJBelle for this post. We had the pleasure of dining with her and she is CHARMING (I promised her I would write that). I was surprised that I really liked Earth & Ocean at The Patio although that depended on the menu which changed every day and was limited to 2 or 3 menu choices. Even though Ovation has about 1/3 more passengers than Quest and similar ships, it did not seem more crowded and had larger public spaces. Well Done Seabourn

Hey Roger/EmptyNester, glad y’all got home safely. It was great to meet you and Janet - and we found you charming as well! (That was a little inside joke after a fun dinner).

It is interesting being on a Back-to-Back: the first day we kept looking for our previous buddies, and wondering who all these interlopers were. Now we have settled down and think this new crowd is pretty nice too. This set of passengers seems a bit younger and that has given this leg a different vibe. I think Handre is offering lots of fun things: in just 3 days, we have had a sail away party, a sail in party (to Hamburg) and last night Classics under the Stars and then a dance party. The deck was rocking with dancers and everyone seemed to have a great time.

Hey Roger/EmptyNester, glad y’all got home safely. It was great to meet you and Janet - and we found you charming as well! (That was a little inside joke after a fun dinner).

It is interesting being on a Back-to-Back: the first day we kept looking for our previous buddies, and wondering who all these interlopers were. Now we have settled down and think this new crowd is pretty nice too. This set of passengers seems a bit younger and that has given this leg a different vibe. I think Handre is offering lots of fun things: in just 3 days, we have had a sail away party, a sail in party (to Hamburg) and last night Classics under the Stars and then a dance party. The deck was rocking with dancers and everyone seemed to have a great time.

Good to read - but not surprising - that Handre is looking after you all so well. Sounds as if you're having great fun!

Just catching up a bit - yes, SLSD and I met on the first afternoon. She and her husband, and Eric and I would love to meet the other CCers at some point. Maybe on the next cruise day? Just speak up and make a suggestion!

And yes, there are plenty of outlets.

And internet remains great. (Now color me part of the brigade who thinks it should be free or much less expensive. All the other luxury cruise lines provide it free). Someone asked about the cost. We wanted unlimited (there was/is a serious family situation and we wanted to monitor) and for our BtoB (4 week total) cruise, it was $399. We paid it, but I think that’s a lot for internet.

Edited by NJBelle

Today was Kiel Canal

And it was fabulous! For those who don’t know/remember, the Kiel Canal connects the North Sea to the Baltic Sea, and allows ships to avoid going around the Danish peninsula. It is a lovely passage, and we saw lots of beautiful scenery. At 526 feet wide, it is not possible for many ships to pass through, but we did, although it was close under some of the 7 bridges. Whew!

It was a very enjoyable day - we hung out in the Observation Lounge the whole day (lunch was available as were Bloodys, Mimosas, and hot chocolate). Tomorrow is Wismar, Germany. It is not far away, so we are going really s..lll..ooooo..www.

Wow! Didn’t realize it had been so long since I posted! It really has been a full and fun cruise with little time for the internet. (Sometimes that is a good thing). Anyway, we are about to have our sail away from Stockholm. The sail in yesterday morning was beautiful (with the sun shining pretty brightly as of 3 am) and I am sure this afternoon’s journey will be lovely as well. We were set for a Caviar Sailaway on the pool deck, but Handre just announced that since there were some raindrops already, the celebration would just relocate to the bars. We will be heading up to the Observation Bar shortly to enjoy caviar, drinks, and the view.

Last night, we had another concert of sorts on deck - the singers did a medley of Sting and George Michael hits, then the band cranked out some ABBA tunes (of course!). Lots of dancing and fun until a bit late!

Last two days have been gorgeous in Stockholm. We enjoyed a walking food tour that I had set up independently yesterday. Then today, we just walked around Gamla Stan and stimulated the Swedish economy.

We have a new Captain. Don’t know the name yet, since we missed the first part of the announcement just now on the speaker, but he sounds of British origin. This was planned, of course, but not sure we have ever had the Captain change in mid-stream, so to speak.

Tomorrow is Turku, Finland. New port for us. Then 4 more port days and then it is goodbye to Seabourn for a while.

I'm sorry it's raining for your Stockholm sailaway. Special apologies to SLSD because I raved about it so much to her, I do hope the rain doesn't spoil it too much.

Thank you for the update, I hope you very much enjoy the remainder of your time on board.

I'm sorry it's raining for your Stockholm sailaway. Special apologies to SLSD because I raved about it so much to her, I do hope the rain doesn't spoil it too much.

Thank you for the update, I hope you very much enjoy the remainder of your time on board.

The Stockholm departure and the Kiel canal are the two most scenic things I remember from my first Seabourn cruise. Which is why I'm sad my upcoming cruise on Regent doesn't feature the Kiel canal.:loudcry:

I must say that I totally agree - the sailaway up the archipelago from Stockholm to the sea was on one of my all time favorites right up there with under the Tower Bridge, Venice and NYC past the Statue of Liberty. We were quite lucky when we did this about 9 years ago - it was a perfect sunny July day and so we were able to stand on the deck of the ship and take in the ingesting scenery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Found it all-consuming?:cool::cool:

:D I missed that completely when I first read Chairsin's post a couple of hours ago. In my defence, it was pre-coffee.

Bless the auto correct, should be called auto incorrect.

Ha ha - so perhaps my typo confirms that I really was, as I noted, “taking in” the scenery?

You know what is so entertaining about auto correct, or as Isklaar so aptly calls it “ auto incorrect”, is that unlike the old days when you made a typo you just ended up with a misspelled word. Now you often get something with a whole new meaning.

Beautiful day in Turku, Finland. And a spectacular sailaway in nice weather! Turns out that Turku also gives access to an incredible archipelago, stretching all along the southern Finnish coast. We didn’t have a party for the sailaway (a lecture at 6:00 had already been scheduled) but I am sure that many are enjoying it on deck or from their balconies, as I am (Eric went to the lecture!).

And as it happened last evening, even with the rain, we had a great time during the sailaway from Stockholm. We went to the Observation Bar to meet friends and found that every single table was filled. Many had stayed on from tea time (tablecloths were the telltale sign). Don’t blame them a bit, but after standing around for 5-10 minutes, hoping someone would leave, we decide to go to the Club. Initially, we watched the scenery from inside, but after a bit, we moved to the sheltered back deck with our drinks, hoping no smokers would venture out. The Clean Lung Gods were with us, so we had a little private sailaway party (bartenders were very accommodating since they liked the scenery as well!) in the rain.

Agree with others about the specialness of that sailaway, but this Turku one is pretty good too. So with that, let me sign off and pour a glass of champagne and enjoy the view!

Ha ha - so perhaps my typo confirms that I really was, as I noted, “taking in” the scenery?

You know what is so entertaining about auto correct, or as Isklaar so aptly calls it “ auto incorrect”, is that unlike the old days when you made a typo you just ended up with a misspelled word. Now you often get something with a whole new meaning.

Just proves how assiduously and carefully I read and mull over every word crafted by your fair hand;p;p

Beautiful day in Turku, Finland. And a spectacular sailaway in nice weather! Turns out that Turku also gives access to an incredible archipelago, stretching all along the southern Finnish coast. We didn’t have a party for the sailaway (a lecture at 6:00 had already been scheduled) but I am sure that many are enjoying it on deck or from their balconies, as I am (Eric went to the lecture!).

And as it happened last evening, even with the rain, we had a great time during the sailaway from Stockholm. We went to the Observation Bar to meet friends and found that every single table was filled. Many had stayed on from tea time (tablecloths were the telltale sign). Don’t blame them a bit, but after standing around for 5-10 minutes, hoping someone would leave, we decide to go to the Club. Initially, we watched the scenery from inside, but after a bit, we moved to the sheltered back deck with our drinks, hoping no smokers would venture out. The Clean Lung Gods were with us, so we had a little private sailaway party (bartenders were very accommodating since they liked the scenery as well!) in the rain.

Agree with others about the specialness of that sailaway, but this Turku one is pretty good too. So with that, let me sign off and pour a glass of champagne and enjoy the view!

Thanks for this update.

Glad that you're enoying such a beautiful part of the world.

Hopefully the weather has been more favourable for you today!

Is there a way to convert currency on the ship?

No. They state that they do not convert currency on the ship. I always get a little local currency but have found over the past few years that other than for rest room access ashore or a few other small items, credit cards are readily acceptable.