Enhanced ID

This does not answer the OPs question and is unhelpful.

OP, according to this website, https://www.passportsandvisas.com/cruise/lines/carnival-cruises

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license () as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

Apparently your Post was even less helpful, as OP read it to mean her husband’s ID would be OK and unless she comes back she will not see the 10 succeeding posts that actually were helpful.

Sometimes a question can not and should not be answered without counter questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apparently your Post was even less helpful, as OP read it to mean her husband’s ID would be OK and unless she comes back she will not see the 10 succeeding posts that actually were helpful.

Sometimes a question can not and should not be answered without counter questions.

Questioning the OP on what happened to the birth certificate would not have helped in this particular situation. The OP said her husband had an enhanced license. And until the OP returns I will take her at her word and not speculate on where her husband received it, whether her husband is a U.S. citizen, why her husband chose not to renew his passport, whether Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens (just dumb), whether the id has a star cut out in the corner, etc. I do hope the OP contacts Carnival directly and confirms whether her husband’s id is acceptable. But she owes no one here any answers to any personal questions to satisfy anyones curiosity.

I’m a Michigander by transplant and just became a naturalized US citizen last December. I applied for and received my new Enhanced Driver’s License in January. I had to produce my Naturalization certificate , previous drivers license and my birth certificate from Indonesia for it, but I did it and it was a painless process.

My first ever cruise is coming up in about 30 days and I absolutely will bring my EDL as my proof of identity and citizenship. Gonna bring my Naturalization certificate too.

Questioning the OP on what happened to the birth certificate would not have helped in this particular situation. The OP said her husband had an enhanced license. And until the OP returns I will take her at her word and not speculate on where her husband received it, whether her husband is a U.S. citizen, why her husband chose not to renew his passport, whether Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens (just dumb), whether the id has a star cut out in the corner, etc. I do hope the OP contacts Carnival directly and confirms whether her husband’s id is acceptable. But she owes no one here any answers to any personal questions to satisfy anyones curiosity.

Here's the problem- if the OP calls Carnival and says "my husband has an enhanced license, will he be able to board the cruise" the rep is going to say "yes, an enhanced license is permissible". The problem is that the OP is using incorrect terminology for what her husband has, because he does not have an enhanced license at all. Many people are thinking, wrongly, that by showing their birth certificate to get a REAL ID compliant license that this makes their license an enhanced license. There was a thread not to long ago where someone in the OP's family thought the same thing and they were going to be denied boarding if they couldn't obtain a copy of the person's birth certificate (which they were able to do). Also, Puerto Rico is a bit different because any birth certificate issued by PR prior to June 2010 (I think) is invalid per PR law. The devil is in the details and sometimes getting additional information from the OP will allow the posters here to provide better advice.

Why would she contact Carnival? You told her she was OK! And if she poses her question the same way Carnival to as she posed it here she will likely get the same answer.

I guess you can be critical of other people’s post’s (the PR citizenship thing was silly) but those posts elicited that OP was from FL and those posters knew the facts on enhanced ID. Nobody but you told these people to head for the ship with ID that likely will not work.

If she does end up at the pier with her husband and his FL DL and he can’t sail; who do you thing she is going to be more mad at? The folks who asked her invasive questions or the guy who told her she was all set when she wasn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't think any of the questions were invasive, and were necessary to give the OP the answer they were seeking. The question about Puerto Rican citizenship wasn't invasive, it just showed ignorance.

Roz

Florida has Real ID....not Enhanced ID....confusing words but there is a big difference.

The following US states currently offer EDLs:

• Michigan.
  • New York.
  • Vermont.
  • Washington

Minnesota also offers an Enhanced DL.