Tipping in speciality restaurants..

RMM34667

A couple years ago the menu had a line on it which specifically said that the tip was included in the price of specialty dining.

Now the menu specifically says that the price does not include the gratuity.

Does this mean we are now expected to add a tip?

Don

That's strange because the waiters in the Specialty restaurants receive a portion of the daily gratuity charge just like the waiters in the DR.

I am American too and I get that feeling we have to tip everything that moves, but I had a thought, do we tip each night in the MDR? So whats the difference?
If we have traditional dining or have been able to reserve a table in anytime dining with the same wait staff during a cruise, we will typically tip the waitstaff at the end of the cruise if the service warranted. If you feel the service at a specialty restaurant warrants an extra tip then the only opportunity is after that dinner. If we have different waitstaff each night in anytime dining we usually do not tip a given night’s waitstaff extra.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On prior dining experiences at the Crown Grille, service was so similar to MDR, we didn't bother to add anything to the final bill. However, on our recent Royal cruise, the 5 of us were very happy with the enhanced service, suggested menu options and follow up by our server. He explained the difference between the menu prawn appetizer and an option for the main dining room type of shrimp cocktail. Discussed the type of steaks and suggested the filet as the best option - less fat. We especially enjoyed his suggestion that we have an assortment of veggies served to the center of the table whereby we could try all of them. Since I'm not a fan of chocolate desserts, he asked if there was something else he could get me - creme brule - plus an extra to pass around the table. Best part was our server noticed we all had cameras - he offered to take a few table shots with each camera and said, "Less expensive than the ship." That alone merited an additional tip. So this time, we did add a nice gratuity. When he picked up the guest checks, he returned and thanked us for dining and obviously the added monies.

Darcy

This is a terrific story. Thank you, Darcy. For those who might be sailing on the Royal Princess in the near future, do you remember this waiter's name?

As you are in a suite, you are already paying more auto gratuity than a standard pax would. So extra tipping is not necessary. If you wish to tip over & above just either leave cash or add an amount to the tip line.

It’s only $1 more than those in a mini-suite or club class, not much difference. $2 more than all other categories.

This is a terrific story. Thank you, Darcy. For those who might be sailing on the Royal Princess in the near future, do you remember this waiter's name?

After three cosmo martini, I'm lucky to have remembered that we dined at the Crown Grille! Sorry, but I think the servers are rotated from the MDR to the Grille, based on some unknown internal system.

Darcy

Ditto. :)

Tony

Us as well. We found the staff on the Regal some of the nicest anywhere! They work their tails off & I'm more than glad to thank them over and above the standard gratuity.