New boarding procedures questions

~Christie~

If you are correct this is something new. I have done many B2B and always got a different card for cruise #2.

They are incorrect. My friends did a B2B in April and they got new cards. New cruise=new folio number. I have never heard of reusing old cards. What if they changed cabins? The old ones wouldn’t work anymore. They also have the voyage date and would appear as invalid to anyone on shore to get access to the ship if they actually paid attention that is.

I'm not sure I like the whole S&S cards in the mailbox thing. What if somebody takes the card out of your mailbox and breaks into your room, stealing your stuff (assuming your luggage has arrived) before you go down to your room? Or they remember their room # wrong and think they're in THEIR room but they're actually in yours? :o

There are ample controls to ensure nothing nefarious goes on, either with your bags, your cards outside your door or your ability to purchase anything your heart desires until it is time to get to your cabin. This check in and boarding process is a SIGNIFICANT enhancement to the old process. To put it simply, it works.

They are incorrect. My friends did a B2B in April and they got new cards. New cruise=new folio number. I have never heard of reusing old cards. What if they changed cabins? The old ones wouldn’t work anymore. They also have the voyage date and would appear as invalid to anyone on shore to get access to the ship if they actually paid attention that is.

When was the last time any shore side security people actually scrutinized your S&S card for the sail date? I know, the same answer I would have - rarely if ever! :D

When was the last time any shore side security people actually scrutinized your S&S card for the sail date? I know, the same answer I would have - rarely if ever! :D

No idea what they were looking at, but I have had them look at it for more than a half a second a couple times. But yes, it is pretty rare.

No idea what they were looking at, but I have had them look at it for more than a half a second a couple times. But yes, it is pretty rare.

Last March, we were returning to Amber Cover on a bus from an excursion and a security guy boarded the bus at the entrance to A.C. and walked through literally only glancing at each card to make sure it was a Carnival (or Princess, as they were in port that same day). :o

ETA: And I just realized I took this thread somewhat off track. Apologies.

We had the new system in Port Canaveral on Magic & boy did we get on the ship fast! We were practically out of breath, since we didn't have to wait in multiple lines. They pulled our passport picture. Our cabin was ready, so we didn't need to use our boarding pass for drinks.

It was like that in Galveston on our last cruise. We practically never stopped walking from the time we entered the terminal until we were on the ship.

Had them look at our cards thoroughly three times at two different ports last month. The first time was in St. Thomas. The security guard I got looked very hard. I could see him looking at the corner of the card where the date is. Then at Amber Cove, there were two guards standing in the exit lane off the highway to enter the port. One looked at all four of our cards very thoroughly. Then the guard in the duty free shop in the doorway to the pier most definitely checked our dates. I know because we had noticed that the dates on our cards didn't print very well and the guy looked, started to hand it back to me, looked again and said the date out loud trying to read it.