New boarding procedures questions

~Christie~

FYI: If you are back 2 back you keep your card and use it both weeks. Threw mine away and had to get a new one.

Our friends sailed B2B last Med and Transatlantic on Vista in October 2016. We only sailed the TA. When we met up on the ship, both couples told us they received new S&S cards during the turn-around for the second cruise. The S&S cards had different folio numbers.

We had the new system in Port Canaveral on Magic & boy did we get on the ship fast! We were practically out of breath, since we didn't have to wait in multiple lines. They pulled our passport picture. Our cabin was ready, so we didn't need to use our boarding pass for drinks.

DH and I have been on 5 cruises since Nov. and received our S&S cards when we checked in at the terminal. Which ships have this new process? We are Platinums, so it doesn't sound like it matters since we can go to our cabins as soon as we board. Just curious.

We had the new system in Port Canaveral on Magic & boy did we get on the ship fast! We were practically out of breath, since we didn't have to wait in multiple lines. They pulled our passport picture. Our cabin was ready, so we didn't need to use our boarding pass for drinks.

That's good to hear. We're sailing on Magic in a few weeks and I had no clue about this process.

I’m a new cruiser (Inspiration 4-day in June) and I’ve been trying to gather as much current info on this topic as it appears Long Beach uses this new procedure and, I too had been curious about how to make purchases prior to receiving our S&S cards at 1:30. :confused:

Many thanks for the post as well as all the replies... it’s very helpful!

You use your boarding pass to make purchases until you get your S&S card.

The whole process of taking each passengers picture and printing out their S&S cards really slowed down the embarkation process. Now that they print up your S&S card ahead of time with your passport picture and just leave it at your cabin, the embarkation process goes much much faster. The ports without this new feature take much longer to board from what I’ve heard. Just imagine taking 3,000 pictures and printing out 3,000 cards. And if the envelope that your S&S card is in is opened or missing, then go straight to Guest Services and they will take care of it and print you a new one.

I have never had an S & S card with my pic on it. No way under this new process to put a pic on the S & S card as they don't see your passport until you check in and you S & S card will be in your mailbox. Sounds confusing. I would think that for security reasons, they would not put pics on the cards. They use to be part of the magnetic bar on the back of the card so that pic shows up as you embark & debark,

I have never had an S & S card with my pic on it. No way under this new process to put a pic on the S & S card as they don't see your passport until you check in and you S & S card will be in your mailbox. Sounds confusing. I would think that for security reasons, they would not put pics on the cards. They use to be part of the magnetic bar on the back of the card so that pic shows up as you embark & debark,

There aren’t any pictures directly on the cards (and there never were at least since I started cruising in 2004). It’s still tied to the magnetic strip in the computer system. They are still printed ahead of time (again as they always have been since I’ve been cruising) except now instead of the envelopes being in a file system behind the check in counter, they are in your mailbox. The only things that have changed is where you pick them up and if you need your pic done they do it via iPad right before you get on the gangway. The cards are exactly the same. I have no idea where that poster got that bad info from.

There aren’t any pictures directly on the cards (and there never were at least since I started cruising in 2004). It’s still tied to the magnetic strip in the computer system. They are still printed ahead of time (again as they always have been since I’ve been cruising) except now instead of the envelopes being in a file system behind the check in counter, they are in your mailbox. The only things that have changed is where you pick them up and if you need your pic done they do it via iPad right before you get on the gangway. The cards are exactly the same. I have no idea where that poster got that bad info from.

C'mon FBW, you know they probably got it from right here on CC. ;)

I'm not sure I like the whole S&S cards in the mailbox thing. What if somebody takes the card out of your mailbox and breaks into your room, stealing your stuff (assuming your luggage has arrived) before you go down to your room? Or they remember their room # wrong and think they're in THEIR room but they're actually in yours? :o

Hey all!

Hubby and I are seasoned cruisers, however we have not sailed since Carnival implemented the new check-in/boarding process where your sail and sign cards are left at your cabin door instead of you receiving them at check-in. So, I have a few questions about the new boarding/check-in procedures on Carnival.

1. Are you allowed to go and grab your sail & sign cards as soon as you get on board even if it is before 1:30pm?

2. If you are not allowed to get your sail & sign cards before 1:30 and you board earlier, how will it work if I want a "drink of the day" or soda as soon as I get on board?

If you have any other advise or tips please share (but be nice please - lol!)

You use your boarding pass .

I'm not sure I like the whole S&S cards in the mailbox thing. What if somebody takes the card out of your mailbox and breaks into your room, stealing your stuff (assuming your luggage has arrived) before you go down to your room? Or they remember their room # wrong and think they're in THEIR room but they're actually in yours? :o

Um, when your luggage arrives, it's left in the hall OUTSIDE your room, not in your room. So if someone wants to steal your luggage, they don't need your room key.

Well, String, I suppose that could happen, but since your picture comes up when your card is swiped, someone intentionally trying to use your card would be caught. As far as accidentally going to the wrong cabin, you would think that when they looked at the card & it had someone else's name on it, they would have a clue. And like Rob said, your luggage will be in the hallway until you put it inside your room, so everyone on the ship pretty much has access to your stuff.

Well, String, I suppose that could happen, but since your picture comes up when your card is swiped, someone intentionally trying to use your card would be caught. As far as accidentally going to the wrong cabin, you would think that when they looked at the card & it had someone else's name on it, they would have a clue. And like Rob said, your luggage will be in the hallway until you put it inside your room, so everyone on the ship pretty much has access to your stuff.

Also, the envelope with your keys in it is sealed. So if someone opened it to get at your keys ahead of you, you would immediately know and can go directly to guest services.

If they are in your cabin “accidentally” then they are idiots as the envelopes clearly say the names on the front as do the cards. I haven’t heard of anything like that happen in the many months this has been in place. There was plenty of paranoia to go around when the new way was announced and has remained unfounded. And yeah your luggage is outside anyway. Whoever wants it can get it regardless if they have your cabin key or not. This is the envelope with my name scratched over:

249e96d577a68d5d427da3ea2c19935a.heic

1abba8b8aa1ed38f9cfe03705a32a7fe.heic

• 1 month later...
Do all CCL ships out of Miami use the new system?

Bump. I'm also curious as to whether ships sailing out of Miami use the onboard mailbox system or provide S&S cards at check-in. Sailing on Victory in three weeks.

Bump. I'm also curious as to whether ships sailing out of Miami use the onboard mailbox system or provide S&S cards at check-in. Sailing on Victory in three weeks.

For Miami they card will be in the mailbox after you board.

The whole process of taking each passengers picture and printing out their S&S cards really slowed down the embarkation process. Now that they print up your S&S card ahead of time with your passport picture and just leave it at your cabin, the embarkation process goes much much faster. The ports without this new feature take much longer to board from what I’ve heard. Just imagine taking 3,000 pictures and printing out 3,000 cards. And if the envelope that your S&S card is in is opened or missing, then go straight to Guest Services and they will take care of it and print you a new one.

S&S cards have always been printed ahead of time even when they were given in the port. There is no dependency on a picture being taken or taken from passport because there is no picture on the card itself. So, the printing of cards has never been a part of the check-in or boarding process. Don't know where people get these ideas.

FYI: If you are back 2 back you keep your card and use it both weeks. Threw mine away and had to get a new one.

This is also a falsehood. If you are B2B,you meet someplace on the ship towards the end of debarkation. A crew member takes everyone's old S&S card and uses them to check you off of the ship. You are then given you new sign ands sail card for the second cruise. This is done because each cruise is looked at as a separate cruise, you must be closed out on one and opened on the other. Folio #s change so you have to clear your account on the first cruise and a new account is opened for the second cruise. In the past you also got off the ship and stood in line in the baggage area while Customs came to you and collected you document and checked your passport. Then you went back onto the ship. Do not know if this approach continues since you now have to do the customs form under certain conditions. That part of the process may have changed. If you threw away your S&S card before you got off the ship, then you would need to get a replacement for that first cruise card so you could be checked off the ship. You would never have the same S&S card for B2B cruises.