Chefs table

biochemgrl02

Sailing on the Golden SB Whittier to Vancouver in June 9. We are looking to try to do the Chef’s table. Opinions/thoughts/expectations from those that have done this before. Was there a specific night this was held?n thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Folks call and put their name on a list. When they get enough names they decide on the night. They run it once or twice a cruise and it can be very popular and sell out quickly. You get a tour of the galley complete with champagne and samples served before going into the dining room for a 5 or 6 course meal with paired wine for each course. We had a wonderful experience.

I did this on my recent trip on the Coral, one of the best meals I've ever had

we put our name on list (called dinning line) first thing on the ship

we did not receive notice for several days. there were 8 of us. spectacular meal

They require you to wear closed toe shoes (I think because the appetizer portion of the dinner is in the galley). Make sure you are prepared. We felt it was a special dining experience.

Good to know! My dressy shoes are not closed toe so I will make sure to bring some that are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to know! My dressy shoes are not closed toe so I will make sure to bring some that are.

OP: you can call the Dine Line as mentioned above, but it's usually faster on the boarding day to just do it in person. The Dine Line can be very busy. We went straight to Passenger Services and put our name on the list there.

Some of the women in our group carried their dressy shoes and wore sneakers until after the kitchen tour.

Another vote for "do it"!! Absolutely, fantastic meal.

Be sure to leave room (weight) in your suitcase. The cookbook that they give you probably weighs 2 pounds.;)

No, you have to book it as soon as you board.

More like "request it as soon as you board." Even if you're first on the list, there's no guarantee you'll make it past the velvet rope.

I'd never before been interviewed for the privilege of buying a pricey meal. Fortunately we passed the are-you-fit-to-dine test. Twice.

Traveling with MIL and DH who do not drink alcohol, and while FIL and yours truly drink beer/liquor we are not wine aficionados. Interested in others' opinion whether it's worth the price under these circumstances.

Traveling with MIL and DH who do not drink alcohol, and while FIL and yours truly drink beer/liquor we are not wine aficionados. Interested in others' opinion whether it's worth the price under these circumstances.

We don't drink, either. There's a slightly lower price for non-alcoholic beverages. IIRC in the range of $80 vs. $100.

And, yes, it was worth it.(y)

Chef’s Table is $95 or $80 without wine. Chef’s Table Lumiere on the Royal class ships is $115 or $100 without wine.

I believe that the Champagne in the galley as well as the white and red wine pairings with the meal enhance the overall dining experience but you don’t need to drink the wine to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think so, but I am a wine drinker

on the Coral last month, main dish was a filet , lobster, jumbo shrimp, scallops + sides. I think 7 appetizers ( one was lobster, another caviar) + crab pasta- not to mention desert

There is inconsistency in accommodating food allergies. The time we did the Chef's Table we signed a document stating that we had no food allergies. Not a big deal, at all, for us, but, obviously, problematic for some. Other Cruise Critic posters have reported that they have had their food allergies accommodated. I guess it depends on the chef.

I called the DINE line on embarkation day, to get on the list, and I really don't recall if that person asked about allergies. When we received notification, the very next day, that we were invited, there were instructions on the date and time to meet and instructions to sign the included document and bring it with us,

Another option is the Wine Maker's Dinner . We did this instead of the Chef's Table . It was AMAZING ! They served us a special meal with wines from a specific wine maker . I believe our was Robert Mondavi .

We sampled and sampled and sampled . The menu was excellent and the setting was in the MDR in an enclosed area that fit the 12 of us . Service was tremendous and the meal concluded with limoncello in ceremonial shot glasses that we got to keep . I don't know if this is offered each cruise or on each ship but if it is , I highly recommend it . Plus the cost was less then half of the Chef's Table .

Wine Maker’s Dinner– Diners in the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms can enjoy a unique dining experience in a private space inspired by a wine cellar. Surrounded by wine bottles, the circular area, which seats up to 12, offers a distinctive atmosphere for private functions and special celebrations. Wine cellar specialty menus developed in conjunction with noted winemakers have been designed to especially to pair with matching wines. Menu items include classic carved meats such as crown of veal rack, lamb Baron and veal rack a l’Orlov. Cover charge: $40

https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Royal-Princess-Offers-Dining-Options-for-Every-Craving.html

Edited to add I think this may only be available on the Royal and Regal

Edited by richstowe
Oops

There is inconsistency in accommodating food allergies. The time we did the Chef's Table we signed a document stating that we had no food allergies. Not a big deal, at all, for us, but, obviously, problematic for some. Other Cruise Critic posters have reported that they have had their food allergies accommodated. I guess it depends on the chef.

I do not eat meat (seafood is o.k), so should I assume that this sort of accommodation would also depend upon the particular chef?

I do not eat meat (seafood is o.k), so should I assume that this sort of accommodation would also depend upon the particular chef?

Boy, that's a good question, Rebecca, and, while I am about to pontificate, here, I am not going to give you a completely satisfactory answer.

I'm pretty sure that the short answer is. Yes, it depends on the chef--specifically, the menu he presents.

Let me give specifics of my one Chef's Table experience.

When we had the Champagne and appetizers in the galley, one of the appetizers was Beef Tartare. Now, in that case it would be easy for you to pass, because there were, certainly, plenty of other appetizers to enjoy.

When seated in the dining room the meal proceeds with multiply courses, In my case, one of them was a Seafood Risotto. Presumably, that is something that you would enjoy, The main course, however, had two proteins that I know would not have worked for you: Filet Mignon and Veal Loin,

I have read other reports here on Cruise Critic that the main dish for the Chef's Table was "Surf n Turf"--Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail. Clearly, you could decline the beef in that case, and I would not be surprised if they would offer you extra "Surf."

If you get invited to a Chef's Table, I would suggest that you contact the Maitre d' prior to the event and ask if they can accommodate you. I think that contacting the Maitre d' is easier than trying to contact the Chef.

Of course it would be great if others with better experience than mine could jump in, here, I think I recall one poster reporting that when the Chef saw one guest declining meat, he immediately extemporized a seafood dish for him/her.

I would not suggest that you ask the DINE line or Passenger Services people. I really do not think that any answer that they would provide would be reliable. Wait until you receive your invitation and, then, start asking. This may be wishful thinking, but I would think they would be more inclined to accommodate you than to exclude you at this point.

Unfortunately, the answer is “It depends.” It is the Maitre d’ who will make the decision. At our first CT one person was a vegetarian and they were well accommodated in the galley and the MDR. At our second CT it was “No substitutions, period.” Our DD who is a vegetarian was with us for our third CT. I checked with Oscar, the Maitre d’ on the Pacific, and he got back to us saying that she would be accommodated. There were alternatives for the appetizers in the galley. That night the twice baked goat cheese was on the MDR menu and that was one of the substitutions [emoji4][emoji4] They had a squash risotto but because is was made with chicken stock, they made a special portion for her with vegetable stock. There was also a special vegetarian entree.

Another example was at the Stammtisch Table where they had vegetarian options for our daughter and for one beer drinker they had several different beer and food pairings especially for him while his DW enjoyed the wine and food pairings.

Oscar is the best. Don’t expect that on most other ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DH and I have done CT 3 times and hope to do it on the Royal in a few weeks. If you enjoy a dining experience you will be rewarded. Excellent food and each dish is beautifully presented on the plate. Add in that the table will be beautifully decorated to round out the experience. You will still enjoy even if you don’t partake in the wine pairings. We have found that the chef, staff, and maitre d’ all take pride and delight with each dish. I would not take someone who is more of a “meat and potatoes” person or a picky eater. It will not be a positive experience for them and others at the table will notice, as will the chef and maitre d’.

My DH and I have done CT 3 times and hope to do it on the Royal in a few weeks. If you enjoy a dining experience you will be rewarded. Excellent food and each dish is beautifully presented on the plate. Add in that the table will be beautifully decorated to round out the experience. You will still enjoy even if you don’t partake in the wine pairings. We have found that the chef, staff, and maitre d’ all take pride and delight with each dish. I would not take someone who is more of a “meat and potatoes” person or a picky eater. It will not be a positive experience for them and others at the table will notice, as will the chef and maitre d’.

I did it on the Royal. DW was barred and could not attend due to her shell fish allergy.

It was one of the best meals I ever had. Total time is about three hours between the kitchen and the table

38764744401_ffd54d1665_b.jpg

39316775721_406aafe261_k.jpg

38764744221_64a2e70aaf_b.jpg

Howard

Call the DINE line as soon as you board to get your name on the list. We were among the chosen ones for the Chef's Table on our New Year's cruise on the Crown. It was a great experience but SO MUCH FOOD. They do not skimp on the portions and then there's all the wine and champagne as well - you definitely get your money's worth! It was a fantastic event and I see why it's in such high demand. Some of the women in our group who did not have closed toe dress shoes just wore sneakers to the galley portion and brought their dress shoes along to change into afterwards. We were told they do not make accommodations for food allergies so if you have severe food allergies I would suggest trying one of the other specialty restaurants/dinners on the ship (I have a cheese intolerance - I won't die if I eat it but I will be in pain for a few hours - but I just didn't tell them that and just passed on anything that looked like it might have cheese in it).

I have a life-threatening crustacean allergy, and I’ve done the Chef’s Table four times. Each time has been exceptionally gracious and hospitable.

In the most recent incarnation, the appetizers in the galley were all “safe” - ceviche, caviar, foie gras and a beef tenderloin on paratha that I’m still drooling over.

The risotto was served with lobster tail and prawns as a garnish. The Headwaiter who was helping to serve mentioned that there were no shellfish ingredients in the risotto itself.

The entrees were mostly safe; there were lovely king crab legs offered by silver/English service.

I’ve always noted the allergy when I make the reservation request, and explicitly say “just leave it off my plate or skip the course”, and I’ve never been denied a spot or not been fed exceptionally. One EC routinely had a crustacean-free menu. Two have had crustacean garni, and the fourth substituted special dishes for two of the appetizers and made me a separate risotto.

To the topic of meat-and-potatoes eaters: my DH is *not* an adventurous eater. At all. He has enjoyed all of the Chef’s Table experiences. When he encounters something like foie gras, I get a bonus bite. But the entrees are usually very, very straightforward roasts and grills, and the appetizers are varied enough that if you don’t like one of them, your night isn’t ruined.