Any History Of Not Being Able to Dock At Greenock Scotland

R & R Carroll

We are sailing on the Nautica this September and are scheduled to dock in Greenock, Scotland. Has anyone had the experience of missing this port due to weather conditions?

We are looking at two different private tour companies for this port and both require pre-payment and have a no-refund policy for cancellations under 30 days prior to the date of scheduled excursion. This is a new tour condition for us. I realize our trip insurance would likely cover it, so I am just trying to gauge the frequency of cancellations of this port.

We did this cruise on Nautica in September last year (2017). Greenock (Glasgow). You will be greeted with a piper on the dock side and a giant blow up Highlander! ! We did an excellent private tour to Stirling Castle, The Trossocks and Lochloman. We had a lovely day. I cannot imagine that the ship wouldn't be able to get into Greenock Port

By the way, this cruise is really very nice indeed, you will enjoy it I am sure. :D

I have called there twice (on other lines) and docked with no problems. I have not heard that this port has issues, unlike the tender port of Guernsey, say, which is often missed due to rough seas, and which we did miss on one occasion.

However all ports may be missed for some reason, such as a medical emergency or engine problems. There is no certainty, I am afraid. Could you keep looking for a company which does refund for a missed call? Or there are always taxis waiting who will do a tour for about £40 per hour, if I remember rightly. They might not be proper tour guides, but at least there won’t be a language problem, providing you can understand their accent. They offer set tours, or will adapt to suit you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Even if most of the responders here had indicated problems, that would NOT mean that your cruise would have problems.

As to non-refundable deposits ... I do my best to make sure I'm not responsible, especially when the ship cannot dock. If they won't refund under those circumstances, I don't book with them.

Mura

We are less than 1 hour from Greenock and have driven there on several occasions to pick up friends. Their ships always docked whatever the weather. Just remember to pack a rain jacket, sun tan lotion! Lol :') we can have all four seasons in one day but our scenery and friendliness make up for it.