Princess vs Celebrity

ALWAYS CRUZIN

I think this is one area that can really vary between ships and also itineraries. I have never had an issue with either line but have noticed that some cruise have so many more activities and also variety compared to other cruises.

X’s entertainment and activities were reduced quite heavily after they cutback the activities staff a few years ago, and they then started producing the production shows in-house :eek: (couldn’t work out what any of those were about on our last sailing on Reflection :confused:).

New Year is a totally different experience on X as they go all out to celebrate ‘big time’ ;).

Most wine geeks get around the pedestrian Princess wine lists by carrying on.

At first read, I thought you meant "carrying on" like "making a fuss" or "complaining." Took me a moment to realize you meant bringing bottles on board! :cool:

That's something I've done (bringing bottles on board, not making a fuss) cruising from here in Florida, but wouldn't have even thought of it given our transcontinental flight to the port (and suitcases full of 'Alaska-worthy' clothing). And I'm hardly a wine geek ... I think. :confused:

At first read, I thought you meant "carrying on" like "making a fuss" or "complaining." Took me a moment to realize you meant bringing bottles on board! :cool:

Oops, sorry about that. I actually try to write clearly, but sometimes I fail. I thank you for bringing this to my attention. The next time I offer this advice I will use different wording.

That's something I've done (bringing bottles on board, not making a fuss) cruising from here in Florida, but wouldn't have even thought of it given our transcontinental flight to the port (and suitcases full of 'Alaska-worthy' clothing). And I'm hardly a wine geek ... I think. :confused:

I agree, dealing with airlines/airports is a pain. I have a little 2-bottle tote that I have packed into our suitcase, and it has worked fine. There are a couple cool products (Wine Check and VinGarde Valise) that are substantial enough to survive airline checking and handling, but I've not made the investment.

Here is another tip, though. I have found Princess to be very liberal about bringing on wine at the Alaska port stops, Last month we brought on bottles that we bought in Juneau and Skagway. (I'd brought on 10 bottles, but it wasn't enough. :eek:) In both cases we just placed the bagged bottle on the scanner belt and picked it up on the other side. These were not high end wines (one was a Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay and the other was a Marrietta red blend)--just nice ones that we could enjoy in our cabin without incurring a corkage fee.

I know that New Year celebration is fun on any line, but we had a blast on Royal celebrating 2017 New Year.

There were so many parties going on. British New Year in the pub, many hours of dancing in Piazza with eventual balloons drop. On upper deck there was a disco. On huge MUTS screen they shown where each Princess ship celebrates New Year. It was amazing!

We have done two NYE cruises on Royal and one on X and all have been wonderful, Royal do have a more family fun feel and do cater for the kids with their extra facilities and as such we have another NYE booked for this year on Royal.

When the Royal Princess first started sailing the quality of the towels was a big complaint.

I do not know if these low quality towels have been replacing ones on the pre-Royal ships.

Huge Princess fan here, but the towels are REALLY BAD.:o:o

We have done two NYE cruises on Royal and one on X and all have been wonderful, Royal do have a more family fun feel and do cater for the kids with their extra facilities and as such we have another NYE booked for this year on Royal.

Royal Caribbean or Royal Princess? I was talking about Royal Princess although we had a nice NY celebration on Royal Caribbean too. :)

Royal Caribbean or Royal Princess? I was talking about Royal Princess although we had a nice NY celebration on Royal Caribbean too. :)

Sorry, I was referring to the Royal Cruise line, not the Royal Princess ship. But I am sure Princess would put on a great NYE party as well.

I think this is one area that can really vary between ships and also itineraries. I have never had an issue with either line but have noticed that some cruise have so many more activities and also variety compared to other cruises.

I’m happy just to be on any cruise, my husband on the other hand gets bored fairly quickly, lol. I will keep my eye out for the Princess Patters (I think that’s what it’s called) once the Island Princess switches to the Panama Canal itinerary to try to get an idea of the activities. I currently have NCL and Princess booked for Panama Canal in December but need to make a decision by August when our payment is due.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is pretty similar and at the same time varies from ship to ship. Princess has little performances at Piazza during the day and nice Zumba classes outside at least on new ships.

We enjoy local entertainers who Princess invites sometimes

We usually sail NCL but we would like to try something new. We are interested in the 11 day Panama Canal on Princess in December. Decisions decisions [emoji4]

We usually sail NCL but we would like to try something new. We are interested in the 11 day Panama Canal on Princess in December. Decisions decisions [emoji4]

I've never sailed on ships of Coral class, so cannot comment.

My post was related to Royal class and Grand/Caribbean class.

Coral class is the same size as Jewel, which we enjoy a lot (more than Breakaway).

Huge Princess fan here, but the towels are REALLY BAD.:o:o

They were so small on the Regal, that I had our cabin attendant bring us pool towels for use a full bath towels. Celebrity had great towels, but the ones on Oceania this past Jan. were ok, but not what we expected for the price of the cruise.

They were so small on the Regal, that I had our cabin attendant bring us pool towels for use a full bath towels. Celebrity had great towels, but the ones on Oceania this past Jan. were ok, but not what we expected for the price of the cruise.

I have stayed in some very fancy hotels and have had rubbish towels, it always surprises me as they normally get things right, especially the little things right all the time. For me towels are not such a little thing if they are thread bare or scratchy.