Amsterdam hotel>

We will be staying one night in Amsterdam after our TA cruise on Brilliance next May. We have never been anywhere in Europe, so know next to nothing about hotels, except I understand typically the rooms are quite small compared to US hotels. We will be going to the Rijksmuseum and hope to take a canal ride and walk around a bit. Any recommendations for a reasonably price (if that's possible) hotel? Also how to get from the port and to the airport. Is taxi the only option?

We will be staying one night in Amsterdam after our TA cruise on Brilliance next May. We have never been anywhere in Europe, so know next to nothing about hotels, except I understand typically the rooms are quite small compared to US hotels. We will be going to the Rijksmuseum and hope to take a canal ride and walk around a bit. Any recommendations for a reasonably price (if that's possible) hotel? Also how to get from the port and to the airport. Is taxi the only option?

You can also take the train from Centraal Station to the airport. There is a direct train that connects Centraal Station with Schiphol. The train station is a short walk from the cruise terminal (exit the terminal, turn right and follow Peit Heinkade - it is a straight 15 minute walk assuming you can manage your own luggage). A one way ticket is $11.07 (euro conversion as of today) or 9.50. Info on AMS transportation options:

https://www.amsterdam.info/airport/transfer/

https://www.amsterdam.info/transport/

Lots of hotel choices in AMS. Do you know in which area you would like to stay? The Movenpick (right next to the cruise terminal) has larger rooms commensurate with US room sizes. We booked through Priceline NYOP and got a fantastic deal.

We have also stayed at the Pulitzer and it was wonderful as well - smaller room, great location - more expensive than what we paid for Movenpick.

You have plenty of time to research as your cruise is next year.

Edited by dogs4fun

The museum district is separate from the more traditional part of town but easily accessible by tram. The rooms in hotels vary. Certainly we have stayed in older spots or converted buildings with very small rooms but there are also many “American style” hotels with rooms more like you are used to. My bigger criteria these days, especially if I have a fair amount of luggage, is whether or not I have to carry things up stairs. We stayed at the Doubletree, walkable from the train station and with good tram access.

We stayed at the Marriott which is a 5 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum. There is a Canal boat ride also within walking distance and plenty of restaurants nearby. If that's all you plan to do, the location is perfect. We took a cab from the port to the hotel and the hotel concierge arranged for a non-metered cab to take us to the airport early on a Sunday morning. The cost was 40 euro.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A one way ticket is $11.07 (euro conversion as of today) or 9.50. Info on AMS transportation options:

https://www.amsterdam.info/airport/transfer/

https://www.amsterdam.info/transport/

The train fare from Schiphol to Central is €4.30.

The link you provided directs to Ticketbar to buy train tickets, without making it clear that they are an agency who charge what they like for tickets, not an official site.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The train fare from Schiphol to Central is €4.30.

The link you provided directs to Ticketbar to buy train tickets, without making it clear that they are an agency who charge what they like for tickets, not an official site.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you - should have read more carefully.