Oversold and almost denied boarding?!

TrinaLC

2. It has nothing to do with GTY cabins. Can happen as well with "fixed" cabin numbers.

So you book a specific cabin, at a certain date, on a certain ship, and then the line says "oops, we overbooked your cabin"? Not gambling like "well, we expect 3% to cancel the cruise so we can easily sell some extra cabins", but gambling that you or the other party would cancel before the ship sails?

So you book a specific cabin, at a certain date, on a certain ship, and then the line says "oops, we overbooked your cabin"? Not gambling like "well, we expect 3% to cancel the cruise so we can easily sell some extra cabins", but gambling that you or the other party would cancel before the ship sails?

Cruise lines can and do change cabin assignments all the time. It is not tremendously common, but search the boards there are numerous posts on the topic.

I think this has been debunked by a previous post.

Of course airlines let one book a particular seat and still overbook. Hotels too, allow one to book a particular room and still overbook.

Sadly cruise lines do not appear to be any different. Doesn't matter if one has paid in full for a particular cabin. Read the terms & conditions, cruise lines can do anything they want.

you don't book hotel room with exact room number vs cruise ship.

Cruise lines can and do change cabin assignments all the time. It is not tremendously common, but search the boards there are numerous posts on the topic.

Yes, ad it should not happen. My friends had a problem on Princess-family booked 5 cabins in row , but on embarkation they been "upgraded' all over the ship ,some cabins close to elevators or over bars.:evilsmile:

Lesson Never book a GTY if there are not cabins available, I have booked GTY several times with Celebrity and my cabin has been assigned next day after deposit. For my next cruise on the Summit to New England and Canada I also booked a GTY $1,100 less than CAT 12 I paid in full, because the promo payment deferred to 6 months without interest, my cabin was assigned next day they charge my CC, they assign us a cabin CAT 9 on deck 7.

While it is not common practice, one can book particular hotel rooms.

Exactly my thoughts. I have done this with a suite in a 5-star hotel in Las Vegas and a small hotel

at Lake Como in Italy. I have stayed in the hotels before and wanted the same rooms because

of the quiet location and/or views.

OK, but what's the use for the cruise line? I can totally see that if a ship has 1000 cabins, they're selling 1050. It would turn out just fine most of the time as usually 50 couples don't show up. More fare from the same cabins, eventually making cruising cheaper for everyone. And usually no problems, but sometimes people do get bumped.

But when I book cabin 6728, and the very same room is sold to another guest, that will NOT work out just fine most of the time. 95% of the time, both buyers WILL show up, maybe after flying 6000 miles. That's absurd IMHO.

OK, but what's the use for the cruise line? I can totally see that if a ship has 1000 cabins, they're selling 1050. It would turn out just fine most of the time as usually 50 couples don't show up. More fare from the same cabins, eventually making cruising cheaper for everyone. And usually no problems, but sometimes people do get bumped.

But when I book cabin 6728, and the very same room is sold to another guest, that will NOT work out just fine most of the time. 95% of the time, both buyers WILL show up, maybe after flying 6000 miles. That's absurd IMHO.

Some, if not most no shows have booked particular cabins. And cruise lines do make mistakes, despite or perhaps because of the software being used.

Not a challenge - just a question. Did the FB post say that they were bunked together? I don't recall that. I thought there were just 6 others with a similar situation that were brought together in a room at the pier where the issue was resolved. And the OP on this thread simply said "6 other groups" - not sure what that means.

I agree that it would be far fetched to have them bunk together - in fact it would not be possible. I think facts just need to be straight with this to be accurate. ;)

No she said they bunked with family and friends that were already on board. So the 5 or 6 other couples would be 10 or 12 extra pax on board and put into rooms that were ready holding people. So where are the extra life boats? If they say it was sold out that means all the life boats are full not all the rooms. So even if there were extra beds or cots what happens in an emergency? Do the extra bunkies get told " we'll come back for you ... I promise?" Lol

Plus the paper work on who is going to be on board has to be in so many hours ( 48?) Before sailing which is why they can't do bookings at the pier. It's some kind of maritime law.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app