Communicating with Family On-board??

Just completed Family Cruise on the Harmony yesterday; biggest challenge was trying to find each other! Any suggestions on improving communication between 3 generations with varying interests? I have tried walkie-talkies in the past with little success. Not everyone has a cell phone and no one wants to pay roaming charges. It would be great if RC could issue RFIDs for each member of a large group so I could locate the Grandkids!

Only suggestion I have, and you already alluded to it, is to use cell phones. We had our whole family on Oasis last year. 6 adults 5 kids. We were in Crown Lofts so each had a internet log in included. We put all the cell phones in "airplane mode" and used "wifi calling" (most cell companies include this feature free) and were able to text or call each other for no charge. Could be worth looking into if most people have cell phones. Otherwise, notes taped on the doors work.

It really is not hard unless you have the need to know where everyone is 24/7.

Which I hope you don't.

Have meeting places at certain times each day.

There are phones in every room and throughout the ship

Use post it notes on the doors.

We went with my inlaws years ago and pretty much only saw them at dinner.

If the few that have them have iPhones, they can text each other free on Harmony via iMessage.

We were told you have to pay a $8 fee to use their Royal IQ texting app. Are we just able to text for free using iMessage? How does that work?

Only suggestion I have, and you already alluded to it, is to use cell phones. We had our whole family on Oasis last year. 6 adults 5 kids. We were in Crown Lofts so each had a internet log in included. We put all the cell phones in "airplane mode" and used "wifi calling" (most cell companies include this feature free) and were able to text or call each other for no charge. Could be worth looking into if most people have cell phones. Otherwise, notes taped on the doors work.

Would this work in a European cruise?

We were told you have to pay a $8 fee to use their Royal IQ texting app. Are we just able to text for free using iMessage? How does that work?

It works only on Quantum class ships and Harmony due to a hole in the ship's filtering mechanism. No telling when it may be fixed, but right now you just connect to the Royal WiFi service and iMessage works. No login or VOOM required.

It works only on Quantum class ships and Harmony due to a hole in the ship's filtering mechanism. No telling when it may be fixed, but right now you just connect to the Royal WiFi service and iMessage works. No login or VOOM required.

Ok thanks. We leave on 6/23 so hopefully it will still work. Just to verify, put phone on airplane mode and connect to the Royal wifi service for free and iMessage works? Am I able to use the Royal IQ app to view the daily activities for free too?

Ok thanks. We leave on 6/23 so hopefully it will still work. Just to verify, put phone on airplane mode and connect to the Royal wifi service for free and iMessage works? Am I able to use the Royal IQ app to view the daily activities for free too?

Yes to both questions.

Yes it worked with iPhones on my May 19th cruise on the Harmony. I had told my daughter that I hoped it still worked & it did. We were also able to iMessage friends & family that weren’t on the ship. It came in handy to check on the dog (house) sitter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums