Carnival Triumph to be “Sunshined”

djcass4199

Comedy hour? Deceived....really??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, how I have missed your piercing observations, wit, and clarity of thought.

The company advertised it as a new ship. It wasn't; just a new name. That's pretty much deception.

Comedy hour? No, my smaller Comedy Club doesn't support it.

Some people's opinions are slanted toward Carnival because of being a TA that primairly deals with Carnival and not stating so, since you have a dog in this hunt. TA's should state so in their header.

LOL, I bet you would have to search hard (and I mean really really hard) to find a TA that deals primarily with Carnival. Maybe it is just they think they offer a good product for a good price.....hmmmm no could not be that would squash the conspiracy theories.

I love cruisecritic, when you get posts that only one viewpoint is valid.... Maybe posters who challenge another view should have to post something in their header....love the name by the way, seems to fit.

Oh, how I have missed your piercing observations, wit, and clarity of thought.

The company advertised it as a new ship. It wasn't; just a new name. That's pretty much deception.

Comedy hour? No, my smaller Comedy Club doesn't support it.

You need to go back and do a history check if you think it was just a name. I can enlighten you as to what occurred if you want, just let me know. It would further squash the deception comment.

Soooo I am guessing you were not joking. Not sure why you missed me, I have been around. You can friend me here and keep better track of me so you you don’t fall behind again.

I don’t care what a ship is called as long as I enjoy being on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. Big Sunshine fan here. Already sailed it, so I'm speaking from experience. And will be on her again this Summer.

Looking forward to what they do with the Triumph. We have two cruises booked on her next year while she's in New York.

Hard to believe people are still salty about the whole Destiny/Sunshine transition. It's a ship. Not your bff. And there isn't a single one in any fleet that escapes criticism. Sail on the ones you like and skip the ones you don't. Easy....you would think.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

and

People are dissatisfied with the Sunshine

Tally me in the SATISFIED column. I hesitated booking it for all the negative reviews, but we wanted to do a Canada NE cruise this past fall and the Sunshine was the Carnival ship in NY.

We had a great cruise, good food and we enjoyed the ship. It’s not my favorite Carnival ship. We prefer the Spirit class, but it was most satisfactory and I’d sail on her again.

As far as the Triumph goes, she was my first Carnival ship. Purple is my favorite color, so I was wowed by the purple neon. I liked the Triumph and her sister ship, the Victory and would consider either one with some refurbishing. From what I hear, both could use it.

With all that said, we have become very fond of small ship sailing, but Carnival will remain a go to line for a quick cruise out of NY or Baltimore.

I realize I look at cruise ships differently than 99.9% of CC members, but regardless of what the passengers see as a "new ship" in the front of house, the basic infrastructure of the ship was still 17 years old at the time of the "re-launch", and it's now 22 years old. Older ships, regardless of how well maintained they are, are prone to develop more issues than a "new ship".

I realize I look at cruise ships differently than 99.9% of CC members, but regardless of what the passengers see as a "new ship" in the front of house, the basic infrastructure of the ship was still 17 years old at the time of the "re-launch", and it's now 22 years old. Older ships, regardless of how well maintained they are, are prone to develop more issues than a "new ship".

I understand that, but I also think you would agree that even a ship with 22 years on her still has a lot of life left to live and live well. I think you would also agree that when a ship changes hands or is significantly overhauled, it is common to change the name.

Personally, if anyone does the SLIGHTEST bit of research before booking the Sunshine, you will know that she was launched in 1995 as the Destiny...and all the issues that went with Destiny.

I don't feel a bit sorry if anyone thinks they have been "deceived" just as I think it is asinine that people don't know that the MDR comes with your fare or any other basic misunderstandings of new cruises that are posted on this board simply because they are too lazy to research their vacation that they are paying thousands of dollars to take.

Yes, a 22 year old ship can have significant life left, or it might not "live well" in the future. I don't care whether folks feel they are being "deceived" or not, but to hawk a renovated ship as a "new ship" is just incorrect. Yes, it is common to change a ship's name when ownership changes, but when ships other than cruise ships are "significantly overhauled", they almost invariably retain their original name. And my definition of "overhaul" is much different than your's, I would expect, as what was done to the Destiny/Sunshine was a "refurbishment" to me, not an "overhaul".

Yes, a 22 year old ship can have significant life left, or it might not "live well" in the future. I don't care whether folks feel they are being "deceived" or not, but to hawk a renovated ship as a "new ship" is just incorrect. Yes, it is common to change a ship's name when ownership changes, but when ships other than cruise ships are "significantly overhauled", they almost invariably retain their original name. And my definition of "overhaul" is much different than your's, I would expect, as what was done to the Destiny/Sunshine was a "refurbishment" to me, not an "overhaul".

I recognize you are a wealth of information on this board and have a perspective that others do not. I guess my issue is I just don't feel like Carnival "hawked" Sunshine as new.

Would you agree that in the cruise ship industry, this change of name in not unheard of? A quick search produced this:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6418

Again, I am no expert. But I think Carnival did a great thing when they created Sunshine. When we sailed her the first time, we knew she had been the Destiny and all about the issues. That was a great trip, and so has every trip after.

Glad you liked the ship. Its all about what is important to you. Ship is lacking in features we want but is rich in features you want.

Such as? Sunshine is the single most feature packed Carnival ship with the exception of the very newest built.

You are one of the most respected posters here. My only question. Did you sail Destiny and have you sailed Sunshine since?

Without knowing what predicated the "rebranding" of Coral Expeditions (simply a changing business model, or a shift in corporate ownership), we can get down to picking nits about when/why a ship's name is changed, but I think that for an existing ship in an existing company's fleet, with no change in corporate ownership, structure, or major business focus, it was unusual for the Destiny/Sunshine.

We read all the negative reviews about Sunshine and decided to book and form our own opinion. We have sailed her twice with another booked to Cuba when she gets to Charleston. She is a great ship when you figure it out . She isn't any more crowded that the dream class ships. We have the Triumph booked next July from NYC and are even more excited now😁:D

You are one of the most respected posters here. My only question. Did you sail Destiny and have you sailed Sunshine since?

I have not sailed on the ship in either identity, but I don't see why that would affect my views on whether the ship is "new" or "refurbished", since my focus is on the ship's infrastructure, not its passenger amenities. And unless I had taken a behind the scenes tour on "both" ships, and noted what was done in the "refurbishment" to that infrastructure, I still would not change my opinion that the ship is an older "refurbished" ship.

If folks like the amenitites on the Sunshine, fine, I'm good with that, and a success for Carnival. However, my point is that ships like the Destiny and Triumph will carry age related issues with them no matter what their name, so people should not complain when the Triumph has another possible breakdown, and they say "but it was completely redone in year so and so". It wasn't completely redone, and that's the only point I'm making.

When Sunshine was first rolled out, the Carnival website did have a banner proclaiming the ship as new. Now whether they were trying to make people think it was a new ship or if it was just a marketing gimmick, much like a decade old store having a grand opening after a major renovation, I can't say. All I know is that the website did promote the ship as new and shortly thereafter the banner was removed from the page.

When Sunshine was first rolled out, the Carnival website did have a banner proclaiming the ship as new. Now whether they were trying to make people think it was a new ship or if it was just a marketing gimmick, much like a decade old store having a grand opening after a major renovation, I can't say. All I know is that the website did promote the ship as new and shortly thereafter the banner was removed from the page.

Both.

Because this is what you said. My view is that refurbishment is cosmetic. (For example, redoing carpet, furnishings, paint -- all they way up to revisions including 2.0 in Carnival speak or the adding of 'glue-on balcs' on the Fantasy class platforms.) What happened to Destiny/Sunshine was a complete re-engineering of the ship to literally include the adding of an entire deck. It could be argued that what happened was just a few steps short of replacing the keel and original engines.

I have sailed both. She's a different ship on every level from the customer's perspective, thus an 'overhaul' in my view. I would agree that Sunshine was not 'new' but from a marketing perspective, I consider that irrelevant. Whether an overhaul is worthy of renaming is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I agree with the decision. Thanks for your ongoing contribution to the page. I mean that sincerely.

Edited by jsglow

Because this is what you said. My view is that refurbishment is cosmetic. What happened to Destiny/Sunshine was was a complete re-engineering of the ship to literally include the adding of an entire deck. It could be argued that what happened was just a few steps short of replacing the keel and original engines.

I have sailed both. She's a different ship on every level from the customer's perspective, thus an 'overhaul'. Whether an overhaul is worthy of renaming is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I agree with the decision. Thanks for your ongoing contribution to the page. I mean that sincerely.

What was done to Destiny/Sunshine was, IMHO, far from a "complete re-engineering" of the ship. The "few steps short" of replacing the keel and engines would have to be great, huge, expensive steps, since the make-over cost $150M, rather than the $750M that the Breeze cost the year before. Adding a deck makes this a "major" refurbishment, but certainly not a "re-engineering". Did they replace the entire infrastructure of the ship to accomplish the make-over, including adding the deck? No. They added incremental systems to the existing engineering to accomplish what was desired. By the way, it is interesting to note that even with the addition of a partial deck, Carnival still lists the GT for Sunshine as the same as for Destiny.

"She's a different ship on every level from the customer's perspective", this was my point in my first post on this thread, my perspective is totally different than the normal customer. I'm the "man behind the curtain" who sees the challenges that come with operating aging ships. More maintenance with the same manpower, additional cost of maintenance having to balance with projected revenue, etc.

Such as? Sunshine is the single most feature packed Carnival ship with the exception of the very newest built.

The three biggest reasons we do not care to sail on the Sunshine

1. Comedy shop venue way to small for number of passengers

2. Ditto for main showroom

3. Lack of mini fridge

Feel that Carnival made much better ships for passengers when they did the Conquest and Dream class and also probably the Spirit class.

As a result we will stick to those three classes and avoid the Vista class as well as the Sunshine..

What others do is certainly up to them but what is important to us will drive our future cruises with CCL.

What was done to Destiny/Sunshine was, IMHO, far from a "complete re-engineering" of the ship. The "few steps short" of replacing the keel and engines would have to be great, huge, expensive steps, since the make-over cost $150M, rather than the $750M that the Breeze cost the year before. Adding a deck makes this a "major" refurbishment, but certainly not a "re-engineering". Did they replace the entire infrastructure of the ship to accomplish the make-over, including adding the deck? No. They added incremental systems to the existing engineering to accomplish what was desired. By the way, it is interesting to note that even with the addition of a partial deck, Carnival still lists the GT for Sunshine as the same as for Destiny.

"She's a different ship on every level from the customer's perspective", this was my point in my first post on this thread, my perspective is totally different than the normal customer. I'm the "man behind the curtain" who sees the challenges that come with operating aging ships. More maintenance with the same manpower, additional cost of maintenance having to balance with projected revenue, etc.

Thank you again for sharing your expertise and vast knowledge

The three biggest reasons we do not care to sail on the Sunshine

1. Comedy shop venue way to small for number of passengers

2. Ditto for main showroom

3. Lack of mini fridge

Feel that Carnival made much better ships for passengers when they did the Conquest and Dream class and also probably the Spirit class.

As a result we will stick to those three classes and avoid the Vista class as well as the Sunshine..

What others do is certainly up to them but what is important to us will drive our future cruises with CCL.

It really is a case of different strokes for different folks as we do not care for Conquest class. We actually LIKE the fact that the comedy venue is smaller on Sunshine; we found it to be much more imitate and a better experience than the old lounge that they use on Triumph. We also don't use the main show lounge often and never have had an issue getting a seat - so again, no issue for us. And we could care less about the fridge.

What we do LOVE about Sunshine in addition to the comedy club is Havana, location of Alchemy, JiJis, Bonsai, the sports square and the serenity deck. For these reasons we would pick her over a Conquest class, and probably a Spirit class, any day.

I don’t care what a ship is called as long as I enjoy being on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but who really cares?

These were his/her own words that I cut and pasted here.

Yeah, my post is rude, but I am making a point here.

Some of us are tired of rude for the sake of being rude.

Seriously.

Edited by mzloolue

Yes, I knew I remembered this.

And yes, people were fooled.

I know someone asked me about the new Carnival ship.

I could take my house down to the studs, put on a new roof and redo everything, but I can't sell it as a new house.

It really is a case of different strokes for different folks as we do not care for Conquest class. We actually LIKE the fact that the comedy venue is smaller on Sunshine; we found it to be much more imitate and a better experience than the old lounge that they use on Triumph. We also don't use the main show lounge often and never have had an issue getting a seat - so again, no issue for us. And we could care less about the fridge.

What we do LOVE about Sunshine in addition to the comedy club is Havana, location of Alchemy, JiJis, Bonsai, the sports square and the serenity deck. For these reasons we would pick her over a Conquest class, and probably a Spirit class, any day.

As you said "Different strokes for different folks" Happy cruising:)