Seattle Embarkation: how late can you board safely?

elbodans

First--I'm not trying to book a flight that might make me late for our sailing! We land in Seattle the day BEFORE we sail and are staying at a Marriott in Seattle proper. However, I am wondering how late we can safely and stress-free-ly show up at port for embarkation.

On all of my past cruises, we were of the 'get there early' mindset; I know that most people share this mindset. Like--get there, get on the ship first, start enjoying all of the food-you-already-paid-for. And I get it. But for this trip--which is a 14-day sailing--I'd like to switch it up and let those people board first and show up for boarding semi-last-minute. The thought process is: I don't love standing in lines but I do love Seattle and oysters and the market and there's a Marvel exhibit at the pop culture museum. So my husband and I could realistically spend the morning and early afternoon enjoying the city and then show up closer to sail away to maybe find no lines and our rooms already ready.

Is this a bad thought? If not--what time would you estimate would be a SAFE time to arrive for a 4pm sail away? I was thinking 2pm, assuming it takes an hour to get through the boarding process.

Note: we will be traveling with only carry-on baggage and will leave THAT back in our rooms until we grab an Uber to the port (I have status at Marriott so I already got a late check out.)

I was thinking 2pm, assuming it takes an hour to get through the boarding process.
If you have completed the on-line check-in, the only absolute is that you must be on-board for the muster drill, which is usually 45 minutes before sailing. 2:00 would give you an hour or so leeway. The boarding process at that time of day should only take 5 to 10 minutes providing a shuttle bus doesn't show up at the same time!

You must be present at the muster which is typically one half hour before the last departure time, except for very late departures when the drill can be held in the late afternoon. So for a 4pm sail away, you need to be onboard and ready for muster at 3:30pm.

fantastic. thanks, all! i will aim to arrive by 2pm but not stress if there's traffic or something. works for me!

Good. You don't want to make your muster mates wait for you either, by cutting it too close. That is one of the key exercises for the staff - make sure everyone is outside of the ship, on deck and accounted for. Traffic can be a problem since the route to the port goes on the main streets. Hopefully leaving your hotel mid-day will be easier to go this distance than during the rush hour.

How was the 14 day Alaska Cruise? We are seriously thinking of doing it next season.

I've done it three times, and love it every time.

Heck, it's a long ride from the east coast, so I want as much Alaska time as I can get on the trip.