Team Trivia - maximum team size?

zelker

What does HAL typically cap the trivia team size at? This will be our first time playing on HAL and someone on our roll call said they thought it was a limit of 6 which seems so small. :eek:

Thanks.

It's been 6 every time I can remember. Usually the games were in the Crow's Nest, which really isn't a good place to have larger teams. Now that the CN has become EXC on many ships, I don't know where or how they do it.

Trivia teams have usually been limited to 6 players. Most hosts are particular about that, but a few have let is slide.

There have usually been two trivias, one mid-day hosted by the CD in the Crows Nest, and one hosted by the assistant in the Mix or another bar. With the reconfiguration of the Crows Nest on many ships, the location of the CD's trivia seems to be in flux.

On our recent Westerdam Hawaii cruise the limit was eight members to a team. We were a group of six travelling together but most teams were eight.

There was one team of eight next to us one day and we noted that a lady sitting alone over by the window was texting answers to the team. We only suspected at first but when she got up and went over to speak to them we called her out on it. She denied it but we noticed she stopped doing it after we complained.

On our recent Westerdam Hawaii cruise the limit was eight members to a team. We were a group of six travelling together but most teams were eight.

There was one team of eight next to us one day and we noted that a lady sitting alone over by the window was texting answers to the team. We only suspected at first but when she got up and went over to speak to them we called her out on it. She denied it but we noticed she stopped doing it after we complained.

Wow! Some people really take their trivia seriously! But I guess I can understand when there are such high value prizes at stake! LOL! 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For most, if not all, of the cruises I have been on the max was 6. This really works out to be a good number. Many times the CD, or whoever was running the trivia, didn't seem concerned that a team was over that limit. Many times a group of more than 6 was seated together and when asked about it responded that the extras were not playing. That generally seemed to be enough. Like everything else on the ship, the crew does their best to "not make waves" and allow the guests to get away with most anything.

OMG, that's pitiful! :eek: Glad you called her on it.

Interesting that you had 8 on the Westie. We'll be on the Zuidie in August for the Viking Passage so maybe since it's a longer cruise (20 nights), they'll let us have up to 8. Guess we'll find out.

Amazing,lol. Trivia as blood sport:eek:

It's stated as a maximum of 6 players per team. But my experience is that is rarely enforced. I have seen teams of as many as 15 players, especially when there are large groups on board. My teams are 4-6 depending on how many family members are travelling. The large teams seem unfair to me, as do the teams that have their phones with them. If I see that's how people are playing I won't turn in my page, just keep my own score to see how well I did without cheating.

The best team I ever had was on a Canada/New England cruise and a couple of Canadians asked if they could join our team of 3. One of the questions was about the significance of the "11th Hour or the 11th Day of the 11th month." The Canadian wrote a novel about the armistice and the end of the war and how that brought forth WWII. He got very specific when the answer they wanted was really very simple. We won that game with all answers correct!