DO you go off the grid?

bearhug75

.We do not take our cell phones when we travel. We both have ipads.

The only time we bother with cruise ship internet is when we have free minutes for whatever reason. We log in on port in a cafe or bar a few blocks from dockside. Works for us. Skype etc is good.

I definitely disconnect. Its one of my favorite things about vacation. I can see some people wanting to stay more available though, such as those leaving kids at home. I only check my texts/voicemail at each port (and mostly just in case our petsitter needs to get a hold of us), then back into airplane mode it goes, to be able to use my phone as needed as a camera (but I'm really bad at remembering to take photos on vacations too). I keep my phone in the safe with my wallet, keys, passport, and such, and grab the phone and wallet when we go into port.

Used a cell phone at work, but in retirement it was the first thing to go. Haven't used one in over 5yrs, so I guess I'm off the grid. I take a laptop for photo editing and on a 4+ month cruise we will Skype with our grandson about once per month.

Mostly, yes. We tend to activate international calling on ONE phone and check it mid-week, just in case there is an emergency back home. We have grown children and my husband likes the ability to check-in. (Personally, I figure in their 20s and 30s, they're old enough to handle life on their own for one week and, really, what could we do from thousands of miles away??)

From our first cruise (Honeymoon in 2005) and onward my wife and I stay connected only to each other. After sail away we head to our cabin, power our phones down and in the safe they go until we return to Debark. It is such an amazing break from "real life" and we look forward to it very much. Anyone else completely shut off "real life" when you cruise?

Yes! Even on our land vacations.