Booked for NA to Alaska in 2019- Question about marking Flexible on Stateroom

EngSet

Greetings- Just booked NA to Alaska in Summer of 2019- Yahoo!

Question- During the booking, had option to mark if one was flexible with Stateroom choice, or, "No thanks" and need specific stateroom.

Do not want to lose the booking for one of the larger insides on Main Deck (i.e., would rather have the larger inside vs. an obstructed view, etc.); but, do not want to take the opportunity for upgrade for modest cost out of the realm of possibility either.

Does anyone know if marking "No thanks, need specific room" will result in zero contact from HAL should they be offering upgrades for additional $ over the next year or so?

Appreciate your thoughts and experiences around this topic.

Thanks,

EngSet

When I have booked directly with HAL and kept the booking with them, and checked “do not upgrade” I have received upsell offers.

When I have booked with the Big Box and checked the “do not upgrade” box, I have not.

If you are using a full service TA, you might let them know you are interested in upsell offers.

I can't answer your question, but I an say that you are in for a wonderful treat! We just did this cruise and it was phenomenal! You are very lucky and you made a great choice!

I booked through a TA and told him that we were interested in an upsell...and kept reminding him of that, and in fact, we were able to score a great one 11 days before sailing. So what ever box you decide to check or not check, make sure you have a personal conversation with your cruise planner or TA about your interest in upsells.

If you mark your booking "Do not upgrade" you may still get upsell offers.

However, in my extensive experience booking inside cabins, and having them marked just that way, I have never received an upsell offer. I have received upsell offers when booked in an outside cabin.

I suspect that it is the inside cabin itself which is the reason for no upsell offers. People in higher category cabins get upsells, and that opens the outside cabins to new passengers. They don't have to make offers to get new passengers to book inside cabins.

Thank you all for the quick replies.

We booked directly with HAL via their website.

We are really excited about this itinerary. I was torn between this voyage on NA and one on the Eurodam. The Eurodam goes to Sitka which is on our visit list; but, this Voyage from Vancouver has the inside passage twice, plus Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

As far as the stateroom, if no offers come our way, we'll be fine and will not be disappointed. While I'd love a view or a balcony, sleeping in a very dark room is also a huge plus- thus, was very torn regarding the type of stateroom.

The NA appears to have some wonderful spaces from which to view the scenery; thus, I am sure it will be wonderful- upsell offers or not. :-)

Politely jealous of all those sailing this summer. :-)

Thanks again to all who replied.

I would keep in mind that with upsell offers, you have to accept them... You are given that choice.

Upgrades, if your booking allows, can be done spontaneously by the cruise line.

If your cabin is the very top category of inside... Then you can only move up.

But, as you said, you might appreciate your inside more than an OV.

I would guess that an upsell would at least be to some type of balcony.

But, I could be wrong... would anybody pay an upsell fee just for OV????

I would keep in mind that with upsell offers, you have to accept them... You are given that choice.

Upgrades, if your booking allows, can be done spontaneously by the cruise line.

If your cabin is the very top category of inside... Then you can only move up.

But, as you said, you might appreciate your inside more than an OV.

I would guess that an upsell would at least be to some type of balcony.

But, I could be wrong... would anybody pay an upsell fee just for OV????

Thanks, Wishing on a Star. Sometimes I erroneously use "upgrade" when I am thinking "upsell." Sorry for any confusion and thanks for clarifying/pointing out the difference.

I can't answer your question, but I an say that you are in for a wonderful treat! We just did this cruise and it was phenomenal! You are very lucky and you made a great choice!

I booked through a TA and told him that we were interested in an upsell...and kept reminding him of that, and in fact, we were able to score a great one 11 days before sailing. So what ever box you decide to check or not check, make sure you have a personal conversation with your cruise planner or TA about your interest in upsells.

EeyoreRN- Saw your thread re: your cruise- great info and photos. :-) So glad you enjoyed your trip.