Formal Night Dress Codes

thedub

We are going to be sailing on the Sapphire Princess out of Southampton. On the formal nights if my husband wears dress slacks and a nice button down shirt, will we be able to eat in the main dining room, or is a jacket and tie required? Also what kind of dress should we expect on the other nights?

We are going to be sailing on the Sapphire Princess out of Southampton. On the formal nights if my husband wears dress slacks and a nice button down shirt, will we be able to eat in the main dining room, or is a jacket and tie required? Also what kind of dress should we expect on the other nights?

Probably be OK, but slight chance he will be turned away.

Dress code is dark suit with tie. Or Tux

Smart casual is trousers shirt and jacket, though I don’t think I see a jacket very often on casual nights.

Also remember that European cruises tend to be more formal...even 7 days out of Southampton.

If Princess' dress code requires a jacket for those nights then you may need one to enter the dining room. If it does not then there will be people dressed like your husband but there will be a higher than average in suits etc due to your location.

The guide lines are there and if what you interpret them to be is not what the staff and or maitre de deem appropriate you will be turned away, that said they have a lot of tolerance. Worse case scenario, you eat in the buffet or a specialty restaurant on formal nights.

I like to take formal gear for formal nights as well, however for some cruises (where the cruise is just part of a much larger trip), I leave the tux and formal shoes at home. I use my travelling jacket (like a lounge/sports jacket) and bring a tie (or bow tie) and button down long sleeve shirt, dark chino's and boat shoes. I have never been rejected from entering the MDR on a formal night.