Can a physical disability offer an advantage when cruising?

Mamluk

Just wanted to add, a lot of times on these long piers, there are pedicabs available (little carts pulled by a bicycle); usually the cost is only a tip. :)

That would be good. Where? Have never seen at any of the piers I have been to in the Caribbean. Many of the piers are actually in "secured" areas and no one is allowed. Cabs, etc. are beyond fence.

People don't like to be manipulated. When "newcomers" join the community, they (and more often than not, relatives) seem to be willing to trade away our hard-fought battles of inclusion for freebies, discounts and special treatment. When such amenities aren't offered, folks are accused of being mean, "hope no one you know is ever....",. If the amenities are offered in pity, the newcomers don't care. The request for advantages or discounts based on a disability brings forth the constant reminders of stories of scams, fake ******** stories, fraud service animals, priority boarding etc. More importantly, suggesting such discounts or freebies should be extended continues to reinforce the myth that disability means poor and people don't see someone with significant disabilities as a productive contributor (or even having a job). We want to get away from associating disability from a handout, like the myth that the word "handicap" came from beggars not reinforce it.

I understand that people don't like to be manipulated, but when someone does become disabled one of the first things they should do is find out what they are entitled to. When our son was diagnosed with autism that is what we did, we found out what services he was entitled to. We took advantage of some of the services offered, we passed on others. But it started off by us asking the question.

I understand that people don't like to be manipulated, but when someone does become disabled one of the first things they should do is find out what they are entitled to. When our son was diagnosed with autism that is what we did, we found out what services he was entitled to. We took advantage of some of the services offered, we passed on others. But it started off by us asking the question.

Accommodation <> Advantage

how can I use my disability to get a better deal, better cabin etc. whilst

staying on a tight budget?

The above sentence and the word USE is, in my opinion, what has caused this long thread. The OP has admitted that English is not his first language and I'm sure that his apologies are well meant. The problem with the written word is that it doesn't have the nuances or facial expressions that go with the oral language.

My initial reaction was, like others, one of disgust but I think we have to stop the squabbling and realise what he was trying to say, albeit in a very clumsy fashion.

Advice is what he wants; lets help him with that.

OP, choose a cruise and have a great time.