Can a physical disability offer an advantage when cruising?

Mamluk

My wife boarded using a cane once. They directed us to a special check in line and they talked her into a wheel chair assist (the ramp boarding the Pride is steep). I don't recall that we were taken onboard before anyone else. When it was time for muster we were directed to a designated area inside so she could sit down for the muster drill.

Thank you SPARK , much appreciated!

I'm NOT taking advantage of any airline. It's with their full consent, conditional upon there not being anyone else who needs that seat more than I do. I voluntarily offer my seat to anyone who needs it more than I do.

Stop patronizing people you don't even know!

If you portray yourself a certain way, don't be surprised when people believe you.

I'm not there to get special favours, just some assistance to facilitate my moving about.

Really? Second language or not you seem quite capable of stating what you want and your original question (below) was pretty specific in that you were/are looking for special favors, not assistance.

My question is: how can I use my disability to get a better deal, better cabin etc.

Sorry, no sympathy from here. My sister has had Polio since she was a baby, has braces (think the kind Forrest Gump had with all the metal, etc.) and would never consider asking a question like you have.

Ok, I may have given the wrong impression and chosen the wrong words when starting this thread. All I wanted to know if there was Special Assistance on cruises in the same way there are offered by airlines. I cannot stand in line for too long and I can't walk a long way to get to my cabin because of my polio. For the above reasons I have a disabled car.

I'm not there to get special favours, just some assistance to facilitate my moving about.

I apologise if you misunderstood my original intention.

Have a nice day!

Your clarification goes a long way to getting the suggestions that would be helpful. A mobility assistive device such as a wheelchair ( if you have someone to push you), or an ECV (scooter) can be of great help. While you may not need these in your daily life, travelling places demands on your body that it's not used to.

You should also pay close attention to the cabin you select. Not necessarily a HA cabin, but one that is midship and close to an elevator, to help minimize distances you need to travel on the ship.

As for excursions, you will have to read their exclusions carefully. Many specifically exclude guests with mobility impairments, due to terrain or distances walking. And few buses or vans are equipped to handle ECVs :(.

My mom has the same problem... she walks with a cane or walker/rollator but walks slow and cannot walk long distances. At land-based hotels we ask for a room near the elevator. Once, I forgot to verify this and were given a room at the end of a very long hallway. We went back to the front desk and only had to wait a little bit for an available room.

OP you can choose/book a cabin near a elevator and mark your booking "no upgrade."

Thank you very much MOM SAYS, for your detailed and helpful advice. Luckily I'll be travelling with my wife who is fit and can help me whenever it'll necessary. I'll be slightly wiser after the first cruise, I think.

My mom has the same problem... she walks with a cane or walker/rollator but walks slow and cannot walk long distances. At land-based hotels we ask for a room near the elevator. Once, I forgot to verify this and were given a room at the end of a very long hallway. We went back to the front desk and only had to wait a little bit for an available room.

OP you can choose/book a cabin near a elevator and mark your booking "no upgrade."

Thank you DOBIEMOM for your helpful comment. That's exactly what I've been struggling with throughout my adult life. I always had to make sure I get a room next to the elevator/lift in hotels, and on ground floors in places without a lift. The same applies to when we fly and there is too much walking to the gate. My wife is already used to it and always makes sure I don't put too much strain on my limited body, especially when I get 'adventurous' at times and downplay my mobility issues.

Ok, I may have given the wrong impression and chosen the wrong words when starting this thread. All I wanted to know if there was Special Assistance on cruises in the same way there are offered by airlines. I cannot stand in line for too long and I can't walk a long way to get to my cabin because of my polio. For the above reasons I have a disabled car.

I apologise if you misunderstood my original intention.

Have a nice day!

The cruise line will wheel you on board and at disembarkation, as explained earlier, but that is all the assistance you will get.

You need to study the deck plans very carefully when you book your cabin. The corridors are very long and there are usually only two banks of elevators. Elevators are marked on the deck plans.

When you get off the ship in port you are on your own. Some of the piers that the ships dock at are very long. It can be a long walk, especially in the heat, open sun of the Caribbean. Very rarely do you see a golf cart/trolley taking people to the end of the pier.

Much will also depend on the ship you choose and size. For example, you may find dining rooms at one end of the ship, and entertainment at the opposite end. Again, can be a long walk. For example, Royal Caribbean 's Oasis of the Seas is 1187 feet long or 362 meters. Perhaps those numbers will help.

Really sounds like you need to rent a wheelchair or scooter for your personal use on and off the ship.

The cruise line will wheel you on board and at disembarkation, as explained earlier, but that is all the assistance you will get.

You need to study the deck plans very carefully when you book your cabin. The corridors are very long and there are usually only two banks of elevators. Elevators are marked on the deck plans.

When you get off the ship in port you are on your own. Some of the piers that the ships dock at are very long. It can be a long walk, especially in the heat, open sun of the Caribbean. Very rarely do you see a golf cart/trolley taking people to the end of the pier.

Much will also depend on the ship you choose and size. For example, you may find dining rooms at one end of the ship, and entertainment at the opposite end. Again, can be a long walk. For example, Royal Caribbean 's Oasis of the Seas is 1187 feet long or 362 meters. Perhaps those numbers will help.

Really sounds like you need to rent a wheelchair or scooter for your personal use on and off the ship.

GRANDMA DAZZLES, Thanks so much for your very informative and helpful advice. I'm beginning to review my whole way of what cruising would mean to me(and my wife). As I mentioned before, I've never been on a cruise before and don't know what to expect, especially vis a vis my disability. Thanks to kind people like you I feel I'm becoming more realistic about a cruise and its pitfalls.

GRANDMA DAZZLES, Thanks so much for your very informative and helpful advice. I'm beginning to review my whole way of what cruising would mean to me(and my wife). As I mentioned before, I've never been on a cruise before and don't know what to expect, especially vis a vis my disability. Thanks to kind people like you I feel I'm becoming more realistic about a cruise and its pitfalls.

Hi Mamluk

I believe that if you have never taken a cruise before, I would agree with Satchimosmom.

I don't know your situation. How do you manage in an airport? Figure the walking and standing getting to your typical flight...now this would be everyday on your cruise. How were you planning on getting around when you arrive at ports? Just getting off a ship and out of a port area could involve a 1/2 mile walk.

If your wife is able to help you, I would suggest a folding wheelchair. If she is not able then I would strongly suggest a mobility scooter. If you do not own one, or normally travel with one, there are a few rental companies that will deliver one to your cabin (waiting when you arrive) and you just leave it there at the end of the cruise.

Now if you do go the "mobility scooter" route, you will NEED to book an accessible cabin, because the scooters will not fit through all cabin doors and you will need to bring it into your cabin to recharge at night. While you would not necessarily need an accessible cabin if you only had a folding wheelchair, I would also suggest that even if your wife can help you around in a wheelchair, that you should consider bringing both. The mobility scooter will give you complete independence, while on the ship. Even though you are able to drive them off the ship (except if there is a tender), getting around in most ports becomes a challenge with the mobility scooter. That is where if your wife is able to help you (and since you are mobile), a folding wheelchair will allow you to get around almost everywhere (and on some organized excursions), and if you want to go someplace on your own, you can just put it in the trunk of a taxi without any issues.

Think carefully about these options and since you are somewhat new to this site, take the time to look at the "port of call" threads for each of your cruise stops to see what you might be able to do in a chair. There is a lot of information there, and I am sure it will be helpful.

good luck

have a great cruise

My wife boarded using a cane once. They directed us to a special check in line and they talked her into a wheel chair assist (the ramp boarding the Pride is steep). I don't recall that we were taken onboard before anyone else. When it was time for muster we were directed to a designated area inside so she could sit down for the muster drill.

I have had he same experience using a cane but I turned down the offer of embarkation assistance (3 weeks later and I would have taken them up on the offer). I was also offered assistance when the tender was located one deck below the usual deck. The seaman insisted I take the private 2 person elevator down to the tender - better for me and better for all the folks that would have been slowed down by me on the steps!

Really? Second language or not you seem quite capable of stating what you want and your original question (below) was pretty specific in that you were/are looking for special favors, not assistance.

Sorry, no sympathy from here. My sister has had Polio since she was a baby, has braces (think the kind Forrest Gump had with all the metal, etc.) and would never consider asking a question like you have.

Too bad he did not list his full name so that we could report him to every cruise line.

As a disabled person with an incurable disease I was appalled when I read the initial post.

Too bad he did not list his full name so that we could report him to every cruise line.

As a disabled person with an incurable disease I was appalled when I read the initial post.

Hi

Just wondering...did you read anything more than the first post?

You do understand the OP has an incurable disease as well and is considered disabled. Your post is inappropriate.

Hi

Just wondering...did you read anything more than the first post?

You do understand the OP has an incurable disease as well and is considered disabled. Your post is inappropriate.

I believe this -" My question is: how can I use my disability to get a better deal, better cabin etc." was the offending line. IF this sentence hadn't been included, this thread would have taken a different direction.

Thankfully, I don't have a "titled" medical issue, but time has taken it's toll, and my "pep in my step" has slowed greatly. Between the bad ankles, knees, hips and back.....stairs and long distances are looking more and more less doable. Yes, I would LOVE consideration for being offered a chair, cart, and someone hold the elevator door for me and I have been told that I don't look over 40 (some smarty pants Marine Recruiter told me I could still sign up). I would NEVER take any accessible room or seat for any reason, because I know someone will come along who could really need it.

Edited by myfuzzy

There is a lot of walking involved on ships. If you don’t want to rent a wheelchair, or a motorized scooter, which can be pricey, may I suggest a rollator walker. They are relative inexpensive to purchase, give you support while walking, and provide a seat when you’ve been on your feet too long and need to stop and rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I want to reply but I’d be banned from CC forever.

As a disabled person of 64, who has received news that adds to my disability, I still thank my lucky stars that, albeit not very far I can get by on my legs. Yes I need grab rails in the shower but don't most of us as we get older. I am really saddened by this post.

There is a lot of walking involved on ships. If you don’t want to rent a wheelchair, or a motorized scooter, which can be pricey, may I suggest a rollator walker. They are relative inexpensive to purchase, give you support while walking, and provide a seat when you’ve been on your feet too long and need to

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, Elaine. Much appreciated.

I believe this -" My question is: how can I use my disability to get a better deal, better cabin etc." was the offending line. IF this sentence hadn't been included, this thread would have taken a different direction.

Thankfully, I don't have a "titled" medical issue, but time has taken it's toll, and my "pep in my step" has slowed greatly. Between the bad ankles, knees, hips and back.....stairs and long distances are looking more and more less doable. Yes, I would LOVE consideration for being offered a chair, cart, and someone hold the elevator door for me and I have been told that I don't look over 40 (some smarty pants Marine Recruiter told me I could still sign up). I would NEVER take any accessible room or seat for any reason, because I know someone will come along who could really need it.

Yes, I've used the wrong words to convey what I meant and I've apologized for it.

Hi Mamluk

I believe that if you have never taken a cruise before, I would agree with Satchimosmom.

I don't know your situation. How do you manage in an airport? Figure the walking and standing getting to your typical flight...now this would be everyday on your cruise. How were you planning on getting around when you arrive at ports? Just getting off a ship and out of a port area could involve a 1/2 mile walk.

If your wife is able to help you, I would suggest a folding wheelchair. If she is not able then I would strongly suggest a mobility scooter. If you do not own one, or normally travel with one, there are a few rental companies that will deliver one to your cabin (waiting when you arrive) and you just leave it there at the end of the cruise.

Now if you do go the "mobility scooter" route, you will NEED to book an accessible cabin, because the scooters will not fit through all cabin doors and you will need to bring it into your cabin to recharge at night. While you would not necessarily need an accessible cabin if you only had a folding wheelchair, I would also suggest that even if your wife can help you around in a wheelchair, that you should consider bringing both. The mobility scooter will give you complete independence, while on the ship. Even though you are able to drive them off the ship (except if there is a tender), getting around in most ports becomes a challenge with the mobility scooter. That is where if your wife is able to help you (and since you are mobile), a folding wheelchair will allow you to get around almost everywhere (and on some organized excursions), and if you want to go someplace on your own, you can just put it in the trunk of a taxi without any issues.

Think carefully about these options and since you are somewhat new to this site, take the time to look at the "port of call" threads for each of your cruise stops to see what you might be able to do in a chair. There is a lot of information there, and I am sure it will be helpful.

good luck

have a great cruise

Thank you, Nic, for your detailed advice and feedback. I really appreciate the time you took to explain things to me.

As a disabled person of 64, who has received news that adds to my disability, I still thank my lucky stars that, albeit not very far I can get by on my legs. Yes I need grab rails in the shower but don't most of us as we get older. I am really saddened by this post.

I apologize for my unintended choice of words and for making you feel saddened.

I apologize for my unintended choice of words and for making you feel saddened.

I fear that you have been branded and no matter how much you apologize you will always be seen as the disabled person trying to put one over. Personally I think every disabled person should get whatever they can get because of their disability, as long as it is a bona fide disability.

I’m sorry your original post was misinterpreted by some. What I really dislike is the jumping on with posts like “ditto” by people who have read neither the whole thread nor your continued apologies for your original way of expressing yourself.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.