Panicky Newbie Homebody Needs Help!

Maya1234

Let me just say upfront that I am NOT like the (almost) all of you on these boards. I'm not a big traveler and traveling makes me nervous. I LOVE being at home and have never been on a vacation no matter how good where I wasn't happier when my foot crossed my threshold. We've had to travel a good amount already this year to go visit our grown kids, but I had promised DH we would do more traveling when we were empty nesters and an Alaska cruise was on the top of his bucket list.

But we are leaving on the Bliss this coming Saturday (gulp!!). I have tried to prepare but am super nervous that I am forgetting things. We have never been on a cruise and often travel only by car so feel like I need some help from those of you who cruise all the time.

Here's what we have done besides the usual stuff one does to prepare for a normal vacation:

1. I have printed out all of the e-docs and have them in a folder in my carry-on/carry aboard bag along with our passports and my trusty travel first aid/medicine kit. What else should go in the carry aboard???

2. I received cruise luggage tags from NCL (we are going in the Haven so they sent us them...don't need to print out....I think???). I plan to keep them with me until the night before when we are at the hotel and then put them on so they don't get ripped during air travel. I just attach to a handle???

3. I have arranged for a car service between the Seattle airport and the Marriott Waterfront where we will stay the night before the cruise. It's my understanding that we can just walk over from their but may want to ask for a hotel porter to help us. What would be a good tip to give the porter? (I'm thinking $15 bucks for our 5 bags...appropriate???).

4. I am bringing cash and envelops for the butler and concierge. Anyone else I need to have a tip for?

5. I am bringing tea lights, a fan that plugs into a usb port, binoculars and straws (I can't drink cold drinks without a straw because of sensitivity). What else would I need that is 'cruise specific'....that is to say something one wouldn't bring on another type of vacation?

6. I have made reservations for Havana and Jersey Boys and 3 nights of specialty dining. The rest of the time we plan to do the Haven (2 nights) the Buffet (one night....to experience it) and eat out (in Canada). I have a spa pass. DH has no interest. I have excursions planned in every stop. Will I need to make other show reservations on board?? Where do people usually eat lunch?

7. What else do I need to think about? TIA.

N/m

I would also bring dollars bills to tip the bartender.

Why would you bring $$ to tip the bartender? Each and every drink (or the whole drink package) has the gratuity built in. There is NO need to tip anyone additional money on board the ship, IF you keep and pay the daily DSC/Gratuity/Tip, etc.

I would disagree about skipping the buffet. I like the Haven restaurant but there are times I just want to grab a quick bite to eat. Just the other night came back to the cabin and wanted a snack. Went to the buffet and grabbed some wings. Food is pretty good.

The one thing I learn is to check recent Dailies for your cruise. Bird travels posted them as well as another person on the very first Alaskan cruise of the Bliss. I then looked at what was happening each day and pick what I want to do. I then put it on an excel spreadsheet and color coded them. Blue items I could not book ahead of time. Other things I could or did not want to change and then had optional things I wanted to do. So I could then have them schedule the other items and then schedule things like the go carts and laser tag in what was left.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Maya1234, I hope your first cruise is a wonderful experience. The reason my husband and I enjoy them is because once you're aboard, it seems so easy compared to a trip on land. Some could argue that choices are limited for where to eat, what to do, etc. but that's what makes it relaxing for those who find travel stressful. I'm not expressing myself very well, a cruise ship isn't like being at home, but for me anyway, the environment on board and on port stops is relaxing in a way that I don't experience with any other type of travel.

Enjoy your cruise, do everything you planned, but be sure to take time to sit and relax and watch the beautiful Alaskan scenery go by!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

I'm totally an over packer too. There are a couple of little things I bring that I didn't see on the list. I was surprised how musty the bathroom was, so I was glad I brought along a small air freshener (one of the little stick ups) that I just put on one of the shelves in the bathroom. Also, I am very accident-prone, so I bring a small ziploc bag with band-aids, neosporin, hydrocortisone cream, and advil. I also toss a few safety pins in my luggage, since I never know when I'm going to rip something.

The other thing I did was mental. Before I left home, I told myself I was just going to enjoy myself and not let the small stuff get to me. I decided I was going to do what I wanted to do, whether it was to sit quietly on my balcony, curl up with a book on deck, or join in planned activities. This was my vacation and I don't care if I do things differently than others on the ship. I am a major introvert, and giving myself permission to spend plenty of downtime made the trip even better.

Enjoy your trip, I'm jealous, since Alaska is on my list of places I want to go!

The other thing I did was mental. Before I left home, I told myself I was just going to enjoy myself and not let the small stuff get to me. I decided I was going to do what I wanted to do, whether it was to sit quietly on my balcony, curl up with a book on deck, or join in planned activities. This was my vacation and I don't care if I do things differently than others on the ship. I am a major introvert, and giving myself permission to spend plenty of downtime made the trip even better.

Enjoy your trip, I'm jealous, since Alaska is on my list of places I want to go!

320?cb=20160323230313

I'm totally an over packer too. There are a couple of little things I bring that I didn't see on the list. I was surprised how musty the bathroom was, so I was glad I brought along a small air freshener (one of the little stick ups) that I just put on one of the shelves in the bathroom. Also, I am very accident-prone, so I bring a small ziploc bag with band-aids, neosporin, hydrocortisone cream, and advil. I also toss a few safety pins in my luggage, since I never know when I'm going to rip something.

Great advice!!

Trust me when I tell you that you are way more prepared than the vast majority of your fellow cruisers. Now RELAX. Your biggest issue will be just enjoying the trip. Please allow me quote Ratty as he spoke to Mole in "Wind in the Willows" by KennethGrahame.

"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so muchworth doing as simply messing about in boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn'tmatter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you getaway, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whetheryou reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you'realways busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done itthere's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'dmuch better not."

Binoculars ......don't go to Alaska without binoculars.

And take a deep breath, step aboard and enjoy being pampered and looked after. After all, you have seven days of someone else doing the cooking, and cleaning. All you have to do is ....Relax.

Binoculars ......don't go to Alaska without binoculars.

And take a deep breath, step aboard and enjoy being pampered and looked after. After all, you have seven days of someone else doing the cooking, and cleaning. All you have to do is ....Relax.

See this is why I'm not a vacation person. I love cooking and cleaning is how I relax. I know, I know I sound like a super fun person

See this is why I'm not a vacation person. I love cooking and cleaning is how I relax. I know, I know I sound like a super fun person

We are alike in many ways. I also overpack, and I want to know I have something if I need/want it. I get what you’re saying. The plus for my family is if they need something, “Let’s ask Judie! She’ll have it!” [emoji106]

You like cooking and cleaning, I love working. It’s my passion. I get that, too.

My advice is to pack what you want! It’s how you cope. You and I will NEVER be one-carry-on suitcase type people.

I deal with my need for activity by reading all the daily schedules and planning what we will probably want to do. Others in my family are “relaxers”, and they can do that because they know I’ve checked out all possibilities.

So you come over here with me, and we’ll zip around the ship. Believe me, there are others just like us!

I do think you’ll love your cruise. I’ve been on 25 and loved every one. Let us know when you get home. [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Judie

you will love Seattle and love the Haven! it will spoil you forever. we cant always sail in suites, but when we do, its amazing.

i think you are actually in pretty good shape! i personally could not do alaska with a carry on only. the amount of layers, etc. you need to pack is just too much stuff. in fact, ive never done a week long cruise anywhere with a carry on only, but i am attempting to for the first time this fall.

We are alike in many ways. I also overpack, and I want to know I have something if I need/want it. I get what you’re saying. The plus for my family is if they need something, “Let’s ask Judie! She’ll have it!” [emoji106]

You like cooking and cleaning, I love working. It’s my passion. I get that, too.

My advice is to pack what you want! It’s how you cope. You and I will NEVER be one-carry-on suitcase type people.

I deal with my need for activity by reading all the daily schedules and planning what we will probably want to do. Others in my family are “relaxers”, and they can do that because they know I’ve checked out all possibilities.

So you come over here with me, and we’ll zip around the ship. Believe me, there are others just like us!

I do think you’ll love your cruise. I’ve been on 25 and loved every one. Let us know when you get home. [emoji847]

t

Thanks Judie!! I also enjoy work. I'm known as the person who you go to if you need a bandaid or stamps or a safety pin etc etc....My desk drawer is like a small convenience store...only no charge. Lol!

t

Thanks Judie!! I also enjoy work. I'm known as the person who you go to if you need a bandaid or stamps or a safety pin etc etc....My desk drawer is like a small convenience store...only no charge. Lol!

Absolutely! My purse could be your desk drawer! I have everything I might need, and believe me, friends and family know it. It’s all good. My can’t-live-without item is a hemostat, always in my purse (and various other places). I use one for a myriad of things: picking up small items, pulling a shoelace through an eyelet, pulling a cord through a waistband, getting out splinters, you-name-it. My instructions to my family are bury me with a hemostat. You just never know. I might need it wherever I’m going. [emoji16]

Let me just say upfront that I am NOT like the (almost) all of you on these boards. I'm not a big traveler and traveling makes me nervous. I LOVE being at home and have never been on a vacation no matter how good where I wasn't happier when my foot crossed my threshold. We've had to travel a good amount already this year to go visit our grown kids, but I had promised DH we would do more traveling when we were empty nesters and an Alaska cruise was on the top of his bucket list.

But we are leaving on the Bliss this coming Saturday (gulp!!). I have tried to prepare but am super nervous that I am forgetting things. We have never been on a cruise and often travel only by car so feel like I need some help from those of you who cruise all the time.

Here's what we have done besides the usual stuff one does to prepare for a normal vacation:

1. I have printed out all of the e-docs and have them in a folder in my carry-on/carry aboard bag along with our passports and my trusty travel first aid/medicine kit. What else should go in the carry aboard???

2. I received cruise luggage tags from NCL (we are going in the Haven so they sent us them...don't need to print out....I think???). I plan to keep them with me until the night before when we are at the hotel and then put them on so they don't get ripped during air travel. I just attach to a handle???

3. I have arranged for a car service between the Seattle airport and the Marriott Waterfront where we will stay the night before the cruise. It's my understanding that we can just walk over from their but may want to ask for a hotel porter to help us. What would be a good tip to give the porter? (I'm thinking $15 bucks for our 5 bags...appropriate???).

4. I am bringing cash and envelops for the butler and concierge. Anyone else I need to have a tip for?

5. I am bringing tea lights, a fan that plugs into a usb port, binoculars and straws (I can't drink cold drinks without a straw because of sensitivity). What else would I need that is 'cruise specific'....that is to say something one wouldn't bring on another type of vacation?

6. I have made reservations for Havana and Jersey Boys and 3 nights of specialty dining. The rest of the time we plan to do the Haven (2 nights) the Buffet (one night....to experience it) and eat out (in Canada). I have a spa pass. DH has no interest. I have excursions planned in every stop. Will I need to make other show reservations on board?? Where do people usually eat lunch?

7. What else do I need to think about? TIA.

Hi Maya,

I'm just off the Breakaway (also in the Haven) for 9 nights in the Baltics and would just add the following thoughts:

- The Garden buffet for dinner instead of either the Haven or one of the main dining rooms? No way! If you want to "experience" the buffet, do it for breakfast or lunch. We ate 1 lunch and 2 breakfasts there (because we slept too late for Haven breakfast!) and I'd give the buffet a B- at best! We ended up eating 3 Specialty dinners, 1 O'Sheehan's, which will be the Local on your ship (big mistake for a dinner), 1 in port in St. Petersburg and rest in the Haven. We loved eating dinner in the Haven and thought the food and service was the best on the ship. Also, you get "free" Room Service in the Haven. We pre-ordered room service breakfast on several early morning port days and it was delivered on time and warm. A real treat and timesaver! Also, my son ordered room service several times for his later evening or mid afternoon snacks! You'll usually eat lunch in your ports on port days, but on your sea days, I'd recommend the Haven or they will also have buffets in some of the Speciality Dining venues...check the Freestyle Daily for the listings.

- Not sure why you think you need a fan? Maybe you like white noise or is it for temperature? We found our Haven room to be very quiet and the AC worked well. Especially on a cool weather cruise, I wouldn't bother with a fan.

- Do you have a travel-friendly purse or bag for port excursions? I have found that dragging a "regular" handbag around on excursions to be too heavy and often doesn't fit what I want to bring off the ship. Either a day backpack or a "travel" crossbody handbag like this one I used on my trip to be much better: https://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/anti-theft-north-south-crossbody-exclusive/323907?productid=10676406. I also bring a small purse just to use in the evenings on the ship...small enough that it fits just my key card, phone, lipstick and my torn off Freestyle Daily schedule, that way, I'm not carrying a heavy big bag from place to place on the ship.

- Sweater for evenings on-board, Fleece jacket and hooded raincoat: I found the ship to be cool on our Alaska sailing and needed a sweater or wrap over my evening outfits. Fortunately, I only used the raincoat once but the fleece almost every day.

- Space for souvenirs? Perhaps different from your other car trip-style vacations, you may end up buying more souvenirs. Leave space in your luggage or bring a lightweight, collapsible bag in your luggage to bring home your new purchases in.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! We don't cruise exclusively for our vacations, but we have found it's a lovely way to travel, especially to places like Alaska!

Lynne

Things you might want to consider:

Binoculars - we use them off our balcony on non-Alaska cruises, I definitely think there might be a call on an Alaska cruise.

A schedule - Someplace to keep track of your restaurant and show reservations. I wished on my last cruise I had just put seven squares on a piece of paper and jotted down our different events. We kept missing things.

Rainboots: never did an Alaska cruise, but did a top to bottom Alaska tour (Dead Horse to Seward), and almost every woman I saw along the way was wearing rainboots (the rubber tall barn boots). We bought some for me and for my daughter in Fairbanks. Even if it wasn't actively raining, puddles, wet underbrush and mud seemed pretty common, and the boots really came in handy. (If you are not doing much more on shore than walking around in town, this isn't as important).

Make sure you have a carry-off even if you don't have a carry-on: your last night on the ship, the collect the luggage after 8pm or so, and you need a bag to carry off your sleepware and whatever else you needed that last night.

Insulated mug: I am an early riser, and I get up and take walks around the deck. There are coffee/tea stations set up for the early risers, but it is a lot easier to drink coffee as I walk out of an insulated travel cup with a lid than it is out of their coffee cups.

A healthy stack of $1.00 bills: this is not meant to start a big tip war, but I personally like to tip $1.00 a drink when I am at the bar. I get $100.00 before I cruise.

If you think you are going to be doing a lot of shopping (on board or on shore) it is sometimes a good idea to pack a collapsible tote in your luggage: especially if you packed your suitcases full before you left.

And, since you identified yourself as a newbie, here is a little bit more generic travel advice:

Right before you leave, call your credit card companies to let them know you are travelling: otherwise, they sometimes detect fraud if you card is used a long way from home.

Make copies of the front and backs of your credit cards and pack it somewhere deep in your luggage, if you happen to lose a credit card, you'll have their phone number and your account number if you need to call them.

Most importantly: have fun. Don't stress so much you forget to enjoy your once in a lifetime trip.

Everyone has their own way to travel.

I for one do not overpack, at least not for me. I am more comfortable having what I think I will need/want. Carry-on Mini cooler for meds? Check.. Books and magazines? Check…. underwear for each day plus one or two more? Check… Good fold-up umbrella? Check….Bathroom bag stuffed to the gills with everything and then some? Check….

• Carry on – Highlighters for when you get the cruisedaily. You can then highlight what you want to see/do. And I carry a spread sheet that has daily itemslisted and an info sheet with ship hints. (yes I know everyone…..a spread sheet on vaca…that’s just the way I roll…)
  • Luggage tags – Ask the front desk at your hotel for a stapler to attached them to your luggage handle.
  • Hotel luggage tip - $15.00 sounds good.
  • Tips on ship – Like some have said, we carry dollar bills, and a few other denominations
  • Cruise items – Bug spray, air freshener, Command hooks, water bottle, Door magnet, post-it note pad, zero balance plastic giftcard (for light socket), nightlight
  • Meals – Don’t limit yourself, try every thing that you can fit in, we usually mix it up every day for each meal.
  • Think about????? How much fun you will have.

There is nothing wrong with going to the buffet for dinner. It is generally quieter than during the morning or lunch rush. You can take your time, or eat quickly and move on. No waiting for servers. I like to see my choices and I can quickly get something else if I choose badly. That being said, I only eat there as a break from the specialities, which I enjoy very much.

Can you come plan my next cruise lol?

On the overpacking comment: I'm one of those people who can travel for a week with a backpack. That being said, EVERYONE overpacks on their first venture into new travel territory. It makes sense - how do you know what you'll need if you've never done it before? So no criticism for overpacking this time, but maybe make a note for what you don't use on this cruise and then next time, you might reduce by one. It is just about slugging the stuff around the airport, I think, that is making people suggest you might want to reduce. If you don't care about that part, then it's up to you. The great thing about cruises is you CAN bring as much as you want to onboard.

Now I'm off to pack my one pair of pants, two pair of shorts, three t-shirts and bug spray for my upcoming week in Roatan, lol.

.It is just about slugging the stuff around the airport, I think, that is making people suggest you might want to reduce. If you don't care about that part, then it's up to you. The great thing about cruises is you CAN bring as much as you want to onboard. .

Ahhh. See we don’t slug anything around the airport. We are dropped at the curb, picked up at the luggage carousel by private car. We fly First so can check 2 70 lb suitcases each ( have never come close to this amount) and the lines are typically very short. We also go to the airline club so we don’t have to struggle with the carry on in the waiting area. And see this is the “ advantage” of being a homebody. If you take only one vacation every few years you can afford to travel like this. Lol! Most people have no interest in this trade off but for me less travel is a bonus.