How Bad is the Food and Solarium Stituation

Bad or good is today subjective. I find the food to be pretty good. The main dining rooms will never be what they once were bc they want you to pay up charges for speciality restaurants IMO. I’ve been cruising since 1992. Yes the food isn’t as good as it once was however, I never complain. I’m not cooking or cleaning for a week. Nothing to complain about!

Eight of us sailed on HOTS on June 2nd. We had an amazing set of meals in the MDR. We had the best wait staff and every meal was delicious. I argue with people who'd compare it to Applebees or that level of fare. I am a bit of a foodie, so I know the difference between a 20 table chef owned and operated venue and the MDR. Still, for the entire experience? The MDR cannot be beat. Wine, good food, great conversation and amazing service. What's not to love?

We did eat at Jamie's Italian for lunch and it was incredible. I was very pleased, especially as I'd read some folks were unimpressed. It was included in our Central Park rooms, but should have only included the four of us. Our server didn't charge us for the extra two. Again, it's hard to beat the service that we had on HOTS.

We also tried out Wonderland. Innovative. Delicious. Fun. It was an experience not to be missed!

I tried breakfast at the Windjammer once (before an excursion) and it was fine, but the layout is far too crowded. You could barely walk between the tables and the food wasn't as accessible as I've seen on smaller ships. I'm thinking in particular of the Radiance class vessels.

Because the WJ was just too much, we mostly ate breakfast in the MDR, though we did eat in the Solarium bistro and enjoyed that. It was quieter and uncrowded with basically the same offerings as the WJ.

As for the Solarium being overrun with kids? I didn't see it. In fact, the Solarium was mostly unoccupied and even the whirlpools were not crowded. I suspect that's because of the lack of a pool which was a bad oversight on RCI's part. Also, it was very hot and the set up of the Solarium's "glass" blocked more breeze than it allowed. Still, I spent a good amount of time in the Solarium because it was so peaceful.

I hope that helps!

The food is what it is. It's mass produced, cafeteria/banquet food. If you're going expecting land based restaurant quality, you're going to be disappointed. You can always find something decent. But don't mistake this for anything close to high end eating. It's grub for the masses.

Good summary of cruise ship food

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it’s for adults, Solarium should be 25+.

It basically is. I never see anyone under around 30 or so in there unless it's kids trying to sneak in just to feel like they're being bad. It's more appealing to us older farts than it is to the near-college crowd. ;)

Eight of us sailed on HOTS on June 2nd. We had an amazing set of meals in the MDR. We had the best wait staff and every meal was delicious. I argue with people who'd compare it to Applebees or that level of fare. I am a bit of a foodie, so I know the difference between a 20 table chef owned and operated venue and the MDR. Still, for the entire experience? The MDR cannot be beat. Wine, good food, great conversation and amazing service. What's not to love?

We did eat at Jamie's Italian for lunch and it was incredible. I was very pleased, especially as I'd read some folks were unimpressed. It was included in our Central Park rooms, but should have only included the four of us. Our server didn't charge us for the extra two. Again, it's hard to beat the service that we had on HOTS.

We also tried out Wonderland. Innovative. Delicious. Fun. It was an experience not to be missed!

I tried breakfast at the Windjammer once (before an excursion) and it was fine, but the layout is far too crowded. You could barely walk between the tables and the food wasn't as accessible as I've seen on smaller ships. I'm thinking in particular of the Radiance class vessels.

Because the WJ was just too much, we mostly ate breakfast in the MDR, though we did eat in the Solarium bistro and enjoyed that. It was quieter and uncrowded with basically the same offerings as the WJ.

As for the Solarium being overrun with kids? I didn't see it. In fact, the Solarium was mostly unoccupied and even the whirlpools were not crowded. I suspect that's because of the lack of a pool which was a bad oversight on RCI's part. Also, it was very hot and the set up of the Solarium's "glass" blocked more breeze than it allowed. Still, I spent a good amount of time in the Solarium because it was so peaceful.

I hope that helps!

You are not a foodie when you describe mass produced, banquet style meals with words like, "amazing," "delicious," and "incredible."

You are not a foodie when you describe mass produced, banquet style meals with words like, "amazing," "delicious," and "incredible."

I always have to smile when people call themselves "foodies." IMHO, foodies are the judges on Chopped or some of the celebrity chefs on TV. Most I know have sophisticated pallets and analyze the heck out of what they eat. I have four close friends who I would consider foodies - one more so than the others and he would probably think most of the food served in the MDR on mass lines to be unfit for human consumption.

I'm much easier to please - I can dine with my friends and have a wonderful time at high end restaurants and then I can eat casual and enjoy most cruise ship food. I know the difference, but I suspect many people don't.