HELP! No one can answer my question!

clemsongal

We are taking a Viking River cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, and adding the 2 day trip post cruise to Lucerne, then flying out of Zurich. We are booking our own flights and need to know what time we should book from Zurich to the United States. I emailed Viking and this is what they replied:

This is typically done as a group but it can also be handled in a private car, it again all depends on your personal air schedule.

If we can be of any further assistance at this time please email us again!

As a veteran cruiser of 20+ cruises, this makes no sense to me! I am hoping someone on Cruise Critic has done this cruise and can tell me what time I should book my return flight!!

Thank you so much! I ALWAYS get such great tips from you all!!

Sounds like they thought you were asking how to arrange transportation to the airport. Contact them again and without any other extraneous information, ask what time your ship, on your debarkation date, is scheduled to arrive in port and what time they expect passengers to be allowed to begin disembarking. Then come back here, or better, go to the cruise air forum, provide that information and ask about suggested flight times.

Is your transfer from Lucerne to the Zurich Airport included as part of your extension? If so, they may arrange varying times of departure, depending on when people's flights are. That's how I would interpret their response.

If not, it's a quick 60 minute train ride from Lucerne directly to the Zurich Airport.

Robin

Sounds like they thought you were asking how to arrange transportation to the airport. Contact them again and without any other extraneous information, ask what time your ship, on your debarkation date, is scheduled to arrive in port and what time they expect passengers to be allowed to begin disembarking. Then come back here, or better, go to the cruise air forum, provide that information and ask about suggested flight times.
They're doing the post-cruise stay in Lucerne, presumably through Viking. So what they need to know is what time they are "done" in Lucerne.

We have the same itinerary (different dates) and booked our extension, transfers & flights through Viking. So, our flight info should help you.

We fly out of Zurich at 9:20 am. We change planes in Amsterdam, then on to U.S. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With your 2 day post in Lucerne through Viking, Viking provides transportation to the airport. Book your outgoing flight for that departure day and Viking will get you to the airport.

How this works is a few days before your departure Viking has you fill out a form with your flight #, departure time, etc. They use this to tell you when to put your bags outside your room and when to be in the lobby for airport pickup. They may get you to the airport earlier than you'd like but they will get you there.

With your 2 day post in Lucerne through Viking, Viking provides transportation to the airport. Book your outgoing flight for that departure day and Viking will get you to the airport.

How this works is a few days before your departure Viking has you fill out a form with your flight #, departure time, etc. They use this to tell you when to put your bags outside your room and when to be in the lobby for airport pickup. They may get you to the airport earlier than you'd like but they will get you there.

THANK YOU!! That makes sense!! First cruise with Viking, so we are very excited!!

Is your transfer from Lucerne to the Zurich Airport included as part of your extension? If so, they may arrange varying times of departure, depending on when people's flights are. That's how I would interpret their response.

If not, it's a quick 60 minute train ride from Lucerne directly to the Zurich Airport.

Robin

Thank you Robin! They are taking us to Zurich airport as part of the post cruise tour, but my husband doesn't want to have to get up a 3 am to get an early flight, so we are trying to gauge it based on the flights available.....does that make sense?

Thank you Robin! They are taking us to Zurich airport as part of the post cruise tour, but my husband doesn't want to have to get up a 3 am to get an early flight, so we are trying to gauge it based on the flights available.....does that make sense?

Zurich should be your transatlantic flight (unless like the poster above you are making another European connection). You don't state where you are flying to (or I have forgotten) but you should be able to find a flight that leaves midday which won't require a 3 AM departure. The biggest concern will be on the other end; do you get in early enough to make a connection if needed.

Zurich should be your transatlantic flight (unless like the poster above you are making another European connection). You don't state where you are flying to (or I have forgotten) but you should be able to find a flight that leaves midday which won't require a 3 AM departure. The biggest concern will be on the other end; do you get in early enough to make a connection if needed.

We are flying back to Atlanta, so I would think we should be able to find a flight that either is direct or connect in Amsterdam or JFK.

Playing around a bit I can't seem to find a non-stop from Zurich to Atlanta, but I am just guessing at dates. I would search first for non-stops on the date you are flying, and if non see your options. I like using hipmunk.com to get a visual of the departure and arrival times, and the connection time. If you can avoid a connection, do so. It would also likely make the timing better.

When are you traveling? Delta has a seasonal non-stop Zurich to Atlanta that leaves at 10:15AM. Off season believe you will have to connect through JFK, AMS or CDG on Delta to Atlanta. We took this cruise with the Lucerne extension two years ago. I dug out my documentation and here were the departure times from the hotel in Lucerne to the Zurich airport to give you some idea for planning purposes. We were on the Delta non-stop which at that time left at 10:30AM.

Those on flights from 10:15AM-10:45AM left hotel @ 6:45AM

Those on flight at 12:55PM left hotel @ 9:30AM

Those on flight at 1:35PM left hotel @ 10:00AM

Those on flights that left after 2PM left hotel @ 10:30AM

Hope this helps.

We did that same trip in 2016 with the Lucerne extension through Viking. We had our air through Viking as well, but we paid for Viking Air Plus so we could pick our own flights. The flight home we picked was Delta from Zurich to JFK at around 1:30pm. It worked out great! I think we left the hotel around 9:30-10:00am, so no getting up at 3am. We had time for the lovely buffet breakfast in the hotel.

I think Viking misunderstood your question. I don’t know if there are direct flights from Zurich to Atlanta, but looking for a flight around noon or so should work out well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are flying back to Atlanta, so I would think we should be able to find a flight that either is direct or connect in Amsterdam or JFK.

We just flew from Zurich to Atlanta last month. Our flight left around 10:30 am. You can check current flight schedules to get an idea of scheduling.

Give yourself enough time to get through check in, (we were asked alot of questions) and security. Also, TSA pre-check is different from the US; I had to dig out all my liquids from my carry-on.

When are you traveling? Delta has a seasonal non-stop Zurich to Atlanta that leaves at 10:15AM. Off season believe you will have to connect through JFK, AMS or CDG on Delta to Atlanta. We took this cruise with the Lucerne extension two years ago. I dug out my documentation and here were the departure times from the hotel in Lucerne to the Zurich airport to give you some idea for planning purposes. We were on the Delta non-stop which at that time left at 10:30AM.

WOW! That is exactly what I was looking for!! We are traveling next June, so the window to book flights will be open soon......As a Clemson fan, we ALWAYS pull for Auburn when you play Bama!!

WOW! That is exactly what I was looking for!! We are traveling next June, so the window to book flights will be open soon......As a Clemson fan, we ALWAYS pull for Auburn when you play Bama!!

Based upon past history they should have the non-stop in June and historically it has departed in the 10-10:30AM timeframe arriving in ATL around 2:30PM. This was a great trip and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

War Eagle, one final question: our Viking longship gets into Basel on Saturday, then we go to Lucerne for two nights, so I book returning flights for Monday morning?? Thanks in advance!!