Please Tell Me About MSC!

richsea

Hi All. We are experienced cruisers thinking of experiencing our first MCS sailing, most likely on Divina in January 2019. We really don't know much about the ship or MSC. Our favorite lines are Celebrity & Princess, but have also sailed Royal Caribbean & NCL. We are a retired couple who enjoy the ship experience probably more than the Caribbean ports, which we have been to many times. Some time ago, I signed up for the Voyagers Club under MSC's status match program & received Voyager numbers. Being Elite+ on Celebrity, I think we are level black?

Anyway, I'm interested in learning about the MSC experience and how it may differ from that of Celebrity or Princess. Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last January we took the Caribbean Princess early January. Two weeks later we sailed on the MSC Divina. We're "elite" on Princess having sailed on that line 24 times and have several sailings under our belt on "X" . Sailing on the CP and DIV just a couple of weeks apart made it easy to compare whilst the 1st being fresh in our minds. Honestly...I was disappointed with the Caribbean Princess. We had a jr suite on CP and a standard balcony on Div. The cabin on Div was larger, the bathroom much nicer and the balcony twice the size and the price was little more than 1/2 what the CP was. Breakfast/lunch buffet was MUCH better on Div, Div has the best pizza and 4 or 5 varieties every day. as well as several very good pasta dishes every day as well as many, many other options more cold non-alcoholic comp beverages at lunch, too. A couple of punches, flavored waters as well as iced tea and water. CP had only water and iced tea. The buffet area was totally closed at 11PM on the CP, couldn't even get coffee. I think it closed at 2AM on the DIV. The Pools on Div are bigger and nicer. The front pool on Div had a sliding roof over it in the event of inclement weather. Shows (not that I'm a big fan of cruise ship shows) but Div were MUCH better. Kind of a cross between a LV revue and Cirque de Soleil. MDR dinner was comparable. Public rooms CP can't hold a candle to those on the Div. It is a beautiful ship. Another thing that was a BIG plus on Div is around the pool there is background music. On CP it was SO LOUD you had to scream at the person sitting right next to you around the pool. Though we like to be close to the pool to dip in and out we usually moved to the upper level, far away from the pool and the noise. Being "Black" MSC's highest loyalty level, perks include a surcharge dining venue one night for two. Drink prices were a little better on Div and wine by the glass at dinner was a much better deal. Meet and Greet and repeaters party were MUCH nicer on Div. We enjoyed it so much, we are booked on the DIV Jan 2019. I think MSC had some growing pains early on and for a while now, the Div has been positioned in Fla year round and I think that has made a difference for the better in the on board experience.

Last January we took the Caribbean Princess early January. Two weeks later we sailed on the MSC Divina. We're "elite" on Princess having sailed on that line 24 times and have several sailings under our belt on "X" . Sailing on the CP and DIV just a couple of weeks apart made it easy to compare whilst the 1st being fresh in our minds. Honestly...I was disappointed with the Caribbean Princess. We had a jr suite on CP and a standard balcony on Div. The cabin on Div was larger, the bathroom much nicer and the balcony twice the size and the price was little more than 1/2 what the CP was. Breakfast/lunch buffet was MUCH better on Div, Div has the best pizza and 4 or 5 varieties every day. as well as several very good pasta dishes every day as well as many, many other options more cold non-alcoholic comp beverages at lunch, too. A couple of punches, flavored waters as well as iced tea and water. CP had only water and iced tea. The buffet area was totally closed at 11PM on the CP, couldn't even get coffee. I think it closed at 2AM on the DIV. The Pools on Div are bigger and nicer. The front pool on Div had a sliding roof over it in the event of inclement weather. Shows (not that I'm a big fan of cruise ship shows) but Div were MUCH better. Kind of a cross between a LV revue and Cirque de Soleil. MDR dinner was comparable. Public rooms CP can't hold a candle to those on the Div. It is a beautiful ship. Another thing that was a BIG plus on Div is around the pool there is background music. On CP it was SO LOUD you had to scream at the person sitting right next to you around the pool. Though we like to be close to the pool to dip in and out we usually moved to the upper level, far away from the pool and the noise. Being "Black" MSC's highest loyalty level, perks include a surcharge dining venue one night for two. Drink prices were a little better on Div and wine by the glass at dinner was a much better deal. Meet and Greet and repeaters party were MUCH nicer on Div. We enjoyed it so much, we are booked on the DIV Jan 2019. I think MSC had some growing pains early on and for a while now, the Div has been positioned in Fla year round and I think that has made a difference for the better in the on board experience.

Nice comparison. I hope our experience on Seaside is as good as yours on Divina.

As we cruise more in this day and age we are finding out that most of the big lines like RCCL and Princess are becoming nickel and dime outfits with the number crunchers winning the battle. MSC is family owned and makes billions from their shipping line, everything is priced fairly on MSC ships and they are not stingy with their passengers. MSC reminds of us of the old Sitmar line who spoiled passengers and got us hooked on cruises, Sitmar was also a family run line which also owned a big shipping company.

We have sailed on the Divina 4 times and will sail on the Seaside in September. The loyalty match (Princess Elite) got us Black Card status with MSC, some nice perks with 3 cocktail parties, free speciality restaurant dinner, chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our cabin along with a bottle of champagne and on the last full day, 2 models of the Divina in chocolate were delivered to the Cabin. Also receive a 10% discount on purchases in the shops on board and a 5% discount on future cruises.

Marco - Thanks so much for your great information. We have previously cruised Celebrity (elite) and Princess and are now looking forward to our first MSC cruise. Your thorough comparison has put my mind at ease and we are really looking forward to our January cruises.

I'm curious about the 10% discount in the shops. it's not a listed benefit, and I didn't get any automatic discount on last cruise on Seaside.

As we cruise more in this day and age we are finding out that most of the big lines like RCCL and Princess are becoming nickel and dime outfits with the number crunchers winning the battle. MSC is family owned and makes billions from their shipping line, everything is priced fairly on MSC ships and they are not stingy with their passengers. MSC reminds of us of the old Sitmar line who spoiled passengers and got us hooked on cruises, Sitmar was also a family run line which also owned a big shipping company.

We have sailed on the Divina 4 times and will sail on the Seaside in September. The loyalty match (Princess Elite) got us Black Card status with MSC, some nice perks with 3 cocktail parties, free speciality restaurant dinner, chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our cabin along with a bottle of champagne and on the last full day, 2 models of the Divina in chocolate were delivered to the Cabin. Also receive a 10% discount on purchases in the shops on board and a 5% discount on future cruises.

jmlh: Which cruise are you taking? We're going Jan 31st. Sign up for the M&G, MSC does the BEST reception.

jagr: Check with your TA or MSC, if you haven't' made final payment, they should deduct the 5%. And according to their web site, if you book a balcony or better on SELECTED cruises, if you are a State, Fed, Municipal employee, teacher fire/police etc, you can get 10% off the fare. Our cruise is not one of the "selected", unfortunately.

I get military or teaching discount. I was asking about the discount in the shops onboard the ship.

jmlh: Which cruise are you taking? We're going Jan 31st. Sign up for the M&G, MSC does the BEST reception.

jagr: Check with your TA or MSC, if you haven't' made final payment, they should deduct the 5%. And according to their web site, if you book a balcony or better on SELECTED cruises, if you are a State, Fed, Municipal employee, teacher fire/police etc, you can get 10% off the fare. Our cruise is not one of the "selected", unfortunately.

JMLH: Are you sailing on the Divina? Are you sure the 2nd cruise isn't Jan 31, not the 29th?

Anyway, to register for M&G, go to the MSC web site. On the bottom, click on "Contact us". On the left, the last item is "Cruise Critic", click on it. In the big box to the right at the bottom is say's "Click here to register for Cruise Critic M&G". Fill in the form. You will need your booking number and cabin number. You can also see how many and who signed up for the M&G. They need a minimum of 6 to offer the reception and to date. 10 are signed up. If you sign up, an invitation for when and where will be in your cabin.

We usually sale RCI or Disney but have booked MSC for Spring Break next year so i'm interested too. It was $2500 cheaper than the same cruise for spring break with RCI so a no brainer really!! I'm a little nervous after reading some reviews but I appreciate you posting this question as i'm intrigued too. Please do update after your cruise in January, I'd love to hear how it goes!

We are platinum elite with Marriott and just emailed them to see if they can match it, i'm hoping for black too!

As we cruise more in this day and age we are finding out that most of the big lines like RCCL and Princess are becoming nickel and dime outfits with the number crunchers winning the battle. MSC is family owned and makes billions from their shipping line, everything is priced fairly on MSC ships and they are not stingy with their passengers.
speaking of nickel and diming... I was just told on the other board that MSC charges for water in MDR...

I have been on a lot of different cruise lines (Carnival, Celebrity, Crystal, Cunard, etc.) and there are a few distinguishing things I noticed on the 2 MSC cruises I took (both Caribbean). First, a much more international crowd and a more cosmopolitan feel. I enjoyed the greater diversity. Second, shows were shorter and more non-verbal--song and dance and acrobatic. I liked them. Third, ships are the most beautiful I have been on. Incredibly stylish. Fourth, gelato was GREAT! Although I love ice cream, gelato is even better.

This friendly gift is only available for MSC friends from Ireland ;)

Not according to the article on the subject, P:

"This offer is available on ALL new bookings made from 1st May 2018 and will be available to all guests on all our ships".