Classic Beverages in Specialty restaurants

hammo

I have tried to find a thread regarding ordering drinks in Speciality Restaurants with the classic Beverage Package .Like many cruisers we have the Classic Package included in perks offered .We usually upgrade to Premium , however with the upgrade price now increased to $16.52 US perday ( $22.80 AU ) it means our upgrade on Eclipse in November will cost us $ 396.48 US for the 12 nights ( $540 AU ) . Ouch .

We enjoy Murano and whilst there are a couple of wines there we used to order there inside our Premium Package limit , I dont recall anything near the Classic Package limit . Can anyone advise me if the Classic Package is pretty much useless in the Speciality restaurants unless you pay a hefty upcharge for say a glass of wine ?.:loudcry:

It's not a "hefty upcharge" for a better glass of wine in the speciality restaurants or anyplace else on the ship; it's only the difference between the maximum for a glass of wine under the classic package and the higher prices glass, plus service charges.

so - the classic maximum is $9 (unless it's changed since the increased prices). I want a $12 glass of wine. I will be billed $3 plus 18% on that $3.

there's also a discount on full bottles if you have the classic package.

I've enjoyed many a glass of wine when dining in the specialty restaurants without any upcharge. If I wanted something special, since last year you only pay the difference + 18% which usually amounts to under $4. It's not worth the upgrade to DH and I.

I've enjoyed many a glass of wine when dining in the specialty restaurants without any upcharge. If I wanted something special, since last year you only pay the difference + 18% which usually amounts to under $4. It's not worth the upgrade to DH and I.

Interesting. Is this change applicable only in the specialty restaurants or any bar/restaurant? In the past, one of the main benefits of upgrading to the premium package was that you only had to pay the small differences vs paying full freight for anything above the limit for the classic package.

The change (which came into effect last year) is applicable fleet wide in all venues. That said, the sommalier didn’t have much difficulty recommending wines within the classic package to pair with our meals in the speciality restaurants on Eclipse last year. The premium package is simply not worth it for us, especially now you only pay the difference plus gratuity for something not on classic!

Interesting. Is this change applicable only in the specialty restaurants or any bar/restaurant? In the past, one of the main benefits of upgrading to the premium package was that you only had to pay the small differences vs paying full freight for anything above the limit for the classic package.

As orange-sox said it's fleetwide. We also have had no problems with the Classic package getting selections within our package for wines paired with our dinners in specialty restaurants, MDR or Blu. We would never have a day where the current upgrade fee of $16+ daily would make sense.

I did have a problem the last time we dined in Murano. We had the Classic Package. I requested "a glass of Sauvignon Blanc." The waiter took our cards. He returned and said there would be a $1 upcharge. I said "Well, then give me a moment and I'll go get a glass myself from the Ensemble Bar. There are Sauvignon Blancs in our package." He checked and apologized. He must have been new there and was going by the prices on Murano's wine list.