Kids and the drink package

Do whatever your personal standards and moral beliefs allow. Regardless, using YOUR soda cup for your kids is technically "theft." If you get caught, there could be consequences such as you losing your Drink Package. So you know. If it were to happen (everyone on here would be shocked if it did, but it could), don't come on here complaining.

So, why do we NOT advocate sharing packages? Well, IMHO, that is why we now must ALL in a cabin buy a package or NO ONE in a cabin buys a package. It screwed us all! Because of so many on this forum bragging about sharing packages. Am I sure that's the reason? No, of course not. But I'm willing to bet it is the big reason. It was highly bragged about and encouraged, just like so many are encouraging you give your kids your soda cups. Next thing you know, the Freestyle machines will disappear and everyone will have to show their Seapass every time they get a soda.

So, my point. Do as you wish. But PLEASE don't advocate or brag about it, and don't ask CC for "permission" to violate the rules. It will likely end up changing a good deal, like it did with the Drink Packages. And that affects us all.

Please stop the theft and intimidation tactics.

OP, let it be known that you will NOT lose your privleges of a drink package because you've allowed you own kids to use your own cups (for which you bought & paid for). It's this type of BS on cruise critic that is falsely attempting to intimidate you and others.

As to the recent change back to all persons 21 yrs or older must buy a alcohol bev package if one person in the cabin does has now been proven to have changed due to a desire to increase revenues and not because of sharing. Although, RCL did use the 'sharing' as an excuse. Many fell for it. If sharing was the real cause for the change, one could not call RCL direct and receive an exception to the rule change.

Come on folks, lighten up.

You can find all excuses you want for making yourself feel better about your theft, but it will still be dishonest and theft to do so, but you will still do it anyways. So as I have to live with the fact that I share the same ship with thieves, you have to live with the fact how the honest people think about you.

You think I'm a theif. So what. To me it just shows how ridiculously shallow & insecure you are. I'm very comfortable w/ myself and who I am. I'm a honest, courteous, friendly cruiser that is constantly on the prowl for another goodtime. BTW, be careful out there... the ship is full of cruisers like me.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I am about the most honest person out there, so if I implied I wanted to steal anything from anyone, including Royal Caribbean, I apologize. Paying upwards of $800 for drink packags and my conscience is very clear! I didn't realize that the juice and water were free in the WJ and that I could take a to go cup. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I would just say this: as someone who has an incredibly stressful job, I come on this site to read, research and, quite honestly, get EXCITED about my upcoming vacation. I bet others do too. Be nice to each other. Life is too short and vacations are too few and far between!

Have a wonderful cruise making memories!

You think I'm a theif. So what. To me it just shows how ridiculously shallow & insecure you are. I'm very comfortable w/ myself and who I am. I'm a honest, courteous, friendly cruiser that is constantly on the prowl for another goodtime. BTW, be careful out there... the ship is full of cruisers like me.

Honest? LOL

You think I'm a theif.

Absolutely!!!

So what. To me it just shows how ridiculously shallow & insecure you are.

As much as I have an opinion about you, I don´t care what you think about me. It´s all good.:cool:

I'm very comfortable w/ myself and who I am. I'm a honest, courteous, friendly cruiser that is constantly on the prowl for another goodtime.

Well I guess it´s good for you to put your ethics low enough to make yourself think you are an honest person, would be really hard to look in the mirror otherwise. So I´m happy for you to being comfortable with yourself:)

BTW, be careful out there... the ship is full of cruisers like me.

No worries, I´m well aware of it.

Absolutely!!!

As much as I have an opinion about you, I don´t care what you think about me. It´s all good.:cool:

Well I guess it´s good for you to put your ethics low enough to make yourself think you are an honest person, would be really hard to look in the mirror otherwise. So I´m happy for you to being comfortable with yourself:)

No worries, I´m well aware of it.

Shakes head and just moves on. Such is the life on the Cruise Critic boards.

Yea, go ahead and use your drink package for your kids, or just get one package and share with the whole family. You are the reason the cruise lines now have put into effect that if one person gets a drink package everyone in the cabin has to purchase one. It might only be a few drinks here or there for the kids or spouse but it is stealing and you can provide all the reasons you want to make it sound better, but it is still stealing and the honest people are paying for it. Can't imagine you would be happy your kids went to the store and just took a can of coke without paying but that is what you are doing. Just saying!!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I am about the most honest person out there, so if I implied I wanted to steal anything from anyone, including Royal Caribbean, I apologize. Paying upwards of $800 for drink packags and my conscience is very clear! I didn't realize that the juice and water were free in the WJ and that I could take a to go cup. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I would just say this: as someone who has an incredibly stressful job, I come on this site to read, research and, quite honestly, get EXCITED about my upcoming vacation. I bet others do too. Be nice to each other. Life is too short and vacations are too few and far between!

Just FYI. Any bar or food location will provide iced water at no charge. Iced tea, lemonade/punch, flavored water, white/chocolate milk, breakfast juice, hot tea, coffee, hot chocolate are all included at no extra charge.

You can fill your mug or sports bottle. Just be sure to use a glass to fill and not put the bottle up to the sprocket.

The included drinks are available in the Windjammer, cafe promenade, and other food locations.

Yea, go ahead and use your drink package for your kids, or just get one package and share with the whole family. You are the reason the cruise lines now have put into effect that if one person gets a drink package everyone in the cabin has to purchase one. It might only be a few drinks here or there for the kids or spouse but it is stealing and you can provide all the reasons you want to make it sound better, but it is still stealing and the honest people are paying for it. Can't imagine you would be happy your kids went to the store and just took a can of coke without paying but that is what you are doing. Just saying!!

Thank you in advance honest person.

BTW, has anyone ever bought a bottle of wine on board? Would honest people consider it to be 'stealing' if I shared the bottle with table mates or family?

Also has any honest person brought on board cases of water as a carry on? Since it's against the RCL policies, would it be considered 'stealing' if I was able to have them delivered to my room and then share a few w/ family members?

How about a case of soft drinks? Would honest people consider it stealing if it was delievered to my room and I 'shared' it with my family members?

Also honest person,

TIP: if you call RCL and tell them that you only want to buy one package, they will make for you an exception. They do this only for honest people that call them.

Thank you so much! I didn't know this!!

Just FYI. Any bar or food location will provide iced water at no charge. Iced tea, lemonade/punch, flavored water, white/chocolate milk, breakfast juice, hot tea, coffee, hot chocolate are all included at no extra charge.

You can fill your mug or sports bottle. Just be sure to use a glass to fill and not put the bottle up to the sprocket.

The included drinks are available in the Windjammer, cafe promenade, and other food locations.

I started coming to Cruise Critic in February after we booked our July cruise. Immediately, I was blown away by the sarcastic, opinionated, nasty tone that people use to speak to one another. I usually look past it because I'm simply here for the same reasons as you, to learn and get excited about my vacation. People should take your advice - just be nice to each other.

You buy the wine you can give it to anyone you want, same with water or whatever you bring aboard. My gripe is when people try to work the system by buying one drink package ( for example) and then share it with everyone in their family or party. I think the drink packages are very expensive and you can do whatever you feel is right. And yea, I try to be as honest as I can and I can honestly say I have never purchased drinks for anyone but me, including soda for my granddaughter. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I started coming to Cruise Critic in February after we booked our July cruise. Immediately, I was blown away by the sarcastic, opinionated, nasty tone that people use to speak to one another. I usually look past it because I'm simply here for the same reasons as you, to learn and get excited about my vacation. People should take your advice - just be nice to each other.

There are some sanctimonious gits on these boards. What happens if the Op doesn't use the full amount paid for a package in a day, do RCI reimburse the money, I think not, are they then the thieves.

No doubt some of those some of those castigating the OP avoid paying corkage fees, if they bring wine onboard by opening the bottles in their cabins and making their way to dining with full glasses.

No different that the person who asks for the water cup at the fast food place with self serve then fills it with soda

THEY KNOW it is wrong aka stealing

the establishment KNOWS they are stealing but decides why bother

ever been to a Jason's Deli? I suspect 90% of the customers who do not pay for the salad bar, take from the salad bar in their mind having some sort of "I paid for this" justification. The place 'eats' this cost … up to a point ….

in the end those who pay for a sandwich end up absorbing the cost of the freeloaders.

theft is theft ….. don't try to justify it.

No different that the person who asks for the water cup at the fast food place with self serve then fills it with soda

THEY KNOW it is wrong aka stealing

the establishment KNOWS they are stealing but decides why bother

ever been to a Jason's Deli? I suspect 90% of the customers who do not pay for the salad bar, take from the salad bar in their mind having some sort of "I paid for this" justification. The place 'eats' this cost … up to a point ….

in the end those who pay for a sandwich end up absorbing the cost of the freeloaders.

theft is theft ….. don't try to justify it.

The example you have shown has no similarity to the question posed by the OP. The property(soda) has been paid for and belongs to the purchaser. they are free to do whatever they want with it, however it is the policy of RCL that there will be no sharing. That does not make it theft.

I have yet to read on any threads that someone has been arrested for theft by the cruise line whilst passing on a pre paid drink to another.

....and despite the "let me get in your business" blowhards on these boards you will never see anyone arrested for theft either. In fact, you will never see anyone's beverage package revoked for stealing soda. Ever. Because it is NOT theft & RCL does not consider it to be theft.

I find an individual to be pretty sick and warped that would sit in a Jason's Deli and suspect 90% of the people at the salad bar to be theives.

Good morning,

I never thought I'd debate in my head so much the pros and cons of purchasing a drink package.

Anyway....I am going to call RC for the Delux and Refreshment for me and the hubs, as suggested on here. However, I have a 6 and 9 year old who will drink water, juice and (9 year old) occassional soda. Do you suggest packages for them or can I get away with just the two packages for us? When ordering, will they allow me to purchase drinks for our kids with my husband and my cards or will they charge for the kids as well? We can give them our soda cups when we get them as neither my husband nor I really drink soda.

Thanks!

Hi Kellmnn,

Why pay extra money, there is plenty of "free" water, juice etc.....at the windjammer and other places. Just fill up your cup. Free water is at designated places through out the ship as well. I never pay extra money for any of this stuff.

But if you must have a certain type of drink, then that is a different story.

Here's my experience from our Navigator cruise last week (take it for whatever it's worth)...

My wife was the only one with the soda package (as, generally, she is the only one who drinks enough Diet Coke to make it worth it.) With the exception of an occasional sip or two by one of our boys, she was the only one using her package. Occasionally, one of us went and get her drinks during the trip, showing her SeaPass card, but not for ourselves to drink.

A couple nights into the cruise, in the MDR, my wife ordered a Diet Coke for dinner instead of having wine with me, and she told the waiter she had the soda package (and showed him her SeaPass card). He then asked our boys if they would like a soda as well. We fully expected to pay for their drinks, but they didn't include it on our check that night. After that, they asked them every night if they wanted anything. Some nights they were fine with water, others they asked for a Coke or Sprite. Again, they chose to not charge us for the sodas for whatever reason.

• Like 1