Taking Gluten Free Snacks On Board?

We recently found out my son is allergic to wheat. I know Royal identifies GF items on the MDR menu and will help us out with that, but can I also take GF snacks on board for him since it's medically necessary?

We brought an entire Easter basket full of candy for our peanut allergic son. Also, I am not sure if they have this on Radiance but on Anthem in the cafe promenade behind the counter was a glass container full of individuality wrapped Udi's snicker doodle cookies..GF!

Since this is new, just a heads up that a wheat allergy is different than a gluten allergy. My dd has celiac, my nephew has a wheat allergy, and some things one can eat while the other can’t.
Yes, although it is "easier" to deal with a wheat allergy than to be gluten free, since wheat is one of the 8 allergens that must be identified on food packages if present. Celiac sufferers must also avoid barley and rye, and those are not always obvious (ie, you might see "malt" listed as an ingredient, but not realize it means barley-- safe for wheat allergy, not for celiac.) Wheat allergic people can eat gluten free safely.

Bringing snacks on board is not a problem, just make sure they are in unopened packaging. DD brought Quest bars for going onshore, in case she needed something.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

We always alert the cruise line about the food allergy and then on Day 1 go down to dining room in afternoon to talk to them about it. On our last cruise they actually made special surprise deserts for my daughter who has a lot of food allergies.

We recently found out my son is allergic to wheat. I know Royal identifies GF items on the MDR menu and will help us out with that, but can I also take GF snacks on board for him since it's medically necessary?

Just FYI...the MDR menus ARE marked with GF items...BUT...…. they are NOT always accurate. So ALWAYS - ALWAYS discuss with your waiter the options each time. I have been eating GF for about 6 years & I "know" what I can & can not eat.... and several times on cruises I've had to question the waiter about a certain food being marked as GF...he would go check with the chef & sure enough.... It wasn't GF. They can & will make certain items GF if they can...but don't rely on the menu being marked correctly.

Also in the Windjammer... some ships are good about having & marking things as GF...most are not. I find it hard to eat in the Windjammer...not a lot of options, because I have to eat things I "know" are GF & not trust the signage. Very few (if any) desserts.... they do have Jell-O most days.... but the cakes & cookies.... nope. They will make GF Pizza & pasta on request...but it takes about 30 minutes....

Take the snacks you will need them off ship. Just give RC a heads up a few weeks before you leave. See the link below or browse for special needs form royal caribbean. Then on the first night ask your waiter to get the Head Waiter. They will review your options for that night’s meal and try their best to accommodate your needs. The head waiter will also present to you the options for the next nights menu. Each night let your server know you have a preselected meal and they will take your room number. The head waiter might also present options that are not shown on the menu. If you like just the appetizer then ask for two same for the main. It usually goes smoothly even if you switch tables each night. You may have some limited choices like repeating something you had before. My issue was dairy and I usually had fruit for dessert or a lovely vegan dessert. I’m going off gluten as it’s not good for my arthritis

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds

Sent from my iPhone using Forums