Does anyone do roll calls anymore?

CRUISERMOMX3

We are much younger (late 20s) than many cruisers and just don't find the idea of meet ups appealing. These ships are huge with thousands of people, we can figure we can meet random people anywhere and don't need an event set up to do so. Also looking at pics of the meet ups it seems to be mostly older folks, no one around our age.

Sooo not comfortable with this either through CC or FB. I’ve seen some nice posts from nice people but I’ve seen mean/crazy posts from mean/crazy people. While I may like to meet a few of the nice ones, the mean/crazies ruin that idea. I am active on my FB pg because I only have real life friends on there that I have known for 30+ years and a couple of coworkers that I’ve known for 10+ years, and unless you are a friend of a friend, my page is inaccessible.

What’s wrong with meeting people from on here? If you don’t like them, don’t interact after the first time. I have made lots of great friends through CC and FB. I can honestly say that my life has improved greatly due to both. I can’t imagine being that scared as to not participate for fear of the unknown.

You don’t have to deal with the weirdos. Chances are they won’t even show up to the meeting anyway. A lot of them are keyboard warriors and wouldn’t have the huevos to act towards me in person they way they have on here. I haven’t been on any cruises with the handful that like to constantly attack or argue with me. Some of whom I’m still waiting for apologies from when they got super mean and nasty at me in regards to a certain subject that I was right on all along. And if I did happen to be on the same cruise as them I would have no problem battling out our differences in person if it came down to it. I’m the same feisty, straight up type of girl in person and on here. What you see is what you get. I refuse to let a few “what if’s” from keeping me from making new friends.

There have been a few not so nice people a couple cruises back on our FB page, but after they got booted out no one in our group ever heard from or saw them on the ship. Just start a cruising page like me. I keep my cruising stuff separate because I don’t need family or friends all up in my cruising biz. They already think I go too much lol!

Edited by firemanbobswife

What’s wrong with meeting people from on here? If you don’t like them, don’t interact after the first time. I have made lots of great friends through CC and FB. I can honestly say that my life has improved greatly due to both. I can’t imagine being that scared as to not participate for fear of the unknown.

You don’t have to deal with the weirdos. Chances are they won’t even show up to the meeting anyway. A lot of them are keyboard warriors and wouldn’t have the huevos to act towards me in person they way they have on here. I haven’t been on any cruises with the handful that like to constantly attack or argue with. Some of whom I’m still waiting for apologies from when they got super mean and nasty at me in regards to a certain subject that I was right on all along. And if I did happen to be on the same cruise as them I would have no problem battling out our differences in person if it came down to it. I’m the same feisty, straight up type of girl in person and on here. What you see is what you get. I refuse to let a few “what if’s” from keeping me from making new friends.

There have been a few not so nice people a couple cruises back on our FB page, but after they got booted out no one in our group ever heard from or saw them on the ship. Just start a cruising page like me. I keep my cruising stuff separate because I don’t need family or friends all up in my cruising biz. They already think I go too much lol!

:) Too Funny!!! You make some good points as usual Firemanbobswife! I’ll think about it. Just don’t want any negative vibes interfering with me or my husband’s vacay!

Too Funny!!! You make some good points as usual Firemanbobswife! I’ll think about it . Just don’t want any negative vibes interfering with me or my husband’s vacay!

Go for it! You won’t know until you try. It’s not like you’re looking for a room mate. If you don’t get along with someone, carry on. No negative vibes will be had. Only potential for a lot of positive ones :) Trust me on this!

Sooo not comfortable with this either through CC or FB. I’ve seen some nice posts from nice people but I’ve seen mean/crazy posts from mean/crazy people. While I may like to meet a few of the nice ones, the mean/crazies ruin that idea. I am active on my FB pg because I only have real life friends on there that I have known for 30+ years and a couple of coworkers that I’ve known for 10+ years, and unless you are a friend of a friend, my page is inaccessible.

I dropped out of the media roll call for our upcoming cruise as it seemed to be infested with yucky people. Then when I checked the roll call on CC for this cruise there were 6 posts from the same couple wanting to meet people to eat with them and go on excursions with them. Over and over... Um, no thanks...

I've noticed the cruise critic's roll calls have had lower activity levels the last few years. I read and post there to be social and get some ideas about independent tours and excursions that I may not even know about with just 50 cruises. I have attended CC M&M with varying results and attendance.

The ones that have been more active for me lately were for new ships like Horizon and MSC Seaside. I have seen a CC RC get busier as squabbles on FB and other sites drive people away from those sites.

You don’t have to deal with the weirdos. Chances are they won’t even show up to the meeting anyway. A lot of them are keyboard warriors and wouldn’t have the huevos to act towards me in person they way they have on here. I haven’t been on any cruises with the handful that like to constantly attack or argue with me. Some of whom I’m still waiting for apologies from when they got super mean and nasty at me in regards to a certain subject that I was right on all along. And if I did happen to be on the same cruise as them I would have no problem battling out our differences in person if it came down to it. I’m the same feisty, straight up type of girl in person and on here. What you see is what you get. I refuse to let a few “what if’s” from keeping me from making new friends.

We have made some great cruising buddies thru roll calls and will participate. If a meet and greet happens we go and sometimes meet people we will see again and sometimes we do not.

A number of folks we have cruised with multiple times.

Doing a cruise in August around the British Isles and there seems to be zero interest in a meet and greet. Doing a TA end of next year and over 80 pages on the roll call already.

We are much younger (late 20s) than many cruisers and just don't find the idea of meet ups appealing. These ships are huge with thousands of people, we can figure we can meet random people anywhere and don't need an event set up to do so. Also looking at pics of the meet ups it seems to be mostly older folks, no one around our age.

My wife and I are in our 30s and on our last FB roll call, we sailed out of Port Canaveral.A bunch of people (aged 17-40) met at a local restaurant for drinks and just to mingle. Then on the ship there was a larger get together at one of the bars and everyone had a blast. I think the oldest person may of been 50 and the youngest person was 21 since we were at the bar.

I'll tell you what, I started out on the old Carnival FunVille forums in 2015, about a year & a half before our first cruise. After being in there for a while, I literally began to question our decision to try a cruise. I thought, if people on board a cruise ship are anything like many of the people in that forum, we made a huge mistake. And it wasn't unique to that forum, either, because as we all know, CC has its fair share of bad attitudes and rudeness. Thankfully, when we finally went on that cruise, the people in person were different from the forum. I suspect it has a lot to do with internet courage. They don't dare behave that way face to face in the real world. That and their numbers are few enough that, even if they did act that way in public, they probably get drown out by the good folks.

For me, it's not about being scared or fear of the unknown, as FBW suggests, it's just who I am. I'm private, so I don't put myself out there a whole lot. Much of my uneasiness around strangers as an adult comes from being a very shy kid. I can socialize just fine if the situation presents itself, but I don't really go looking for it. I've had a close group of core friends all of my life (some come, some go) so branching out hasn't really been my style. But once I become comfortable, I'll let my guard down a bit.

On our recent cruise, my wife and I were seated in the MDR and an older (than us) couple was seated next to us a little while later. We started with the usual hello's and pleasantries and carried on a conversation throughout our meals. It was their first cruise and they admitted that they weren't having a very good time. After we told them about some of the activities and things we had done so far, the guy said if they got out and did more things, maybe they'd start having a better time. So I don't think they were taking enough advantage of all the ship had to offer. We had gone to our first karaoke the night before and had a great time, so we told them about that and suggested they check it out. That night while we were sitting at karaoke, we noticed them come in and invited them to join us in our booth. I think they enjoyed it, or at least I hope they had a good time. I had a few beers in me, so I tend to drop my social guard more when I do. ;p I saw them again one morning at the Lido buffet and chatted a minute. And we passed by their table in the MDR one other night as we were leaving and talked for a while, but we didn't think to get their contact info because it's not something we normally do. I wish we would have, at least for the remainder of the cruise, because I was genuinely interested to know if they made the best of it.

I'll say it again, CC needs private messaging because I think it'd be good to help people connect. Especially for people like me who don't like putting it out there for big groups to see.

I'll say it again, CC needs private messaging because I think it'd be good to help people connect. Especially for people like me who don't like putting it out there for big groups to see.

Totally agree. That is one nice thing about Tapatalk - they do have a message feature. It gets to be a pain when you have questions that are somewhat private and you don’t want all the antagonizers to chime in. Not everyone has their email info in their signature line [emoji6] and I find it much quicker to message than email anyway.

I'll tell you what, I started out on the old Carnival FunVille forums in 2015, about a year & a half before our first cruise. After being in there for a while, I literally began to question our decision to try a cruise. I thought, if people on board a cruise ship are anything like many of the people in that forum, we made a huge mistake. And it wasn't unique to that forum, either, because as we all know, CC has its fair share of bad attitudes and rudeness. Thankfully, when we finally went on that cruise, the people in person were different from the forum. I suspect it has a lot to do with internet courage. They don't dare behave that way face to face in the real world. That and their numbers are few enough that, even if they did act that way in public, they probably get drown out by the good folks.

For me, it's not about being scared or fear of the unknown, as FBW suggests, it's just who I am. I'm private, so I don't put myself out there a whole lot. Much of my uneasiness around strangers as an adult comes from being a very shy kid. I can socialize just fine if the situation presents itself, but I don't really go looking for it. I've had a close group of core friends all of my life (some come, some go) so branching out hasn't really been my style. But once I become comfortable, I'll let my guard down a bit.

On our recent cruise, my wife and I were seated in the MDR and an older (than us) couple was seated next to us a little while later. We started with the usual hello's and pleasantries and carried on a conversation throughout our meals. It was their first cruise and they admitted that they weren't having a very good time. After we told them about some of the activities and things we had done so far, the guy said if they got out and did more things, maybe they'd start having a better time. So I don't think they were taking enough advantage of all the ship had to offer. We had gone to our first karaoke the night before and had a great time, so we told them about that and suggested they check it out. That night while we were sitting at karaoke, we noticed them come in and invited them to join us in our booth. I think they enjoyed it, or at least I hope they had a good time. I had a few beers in me, so I tend to drop my social guard more when I do. ;p I saw them again one morning at the Lido buffet and chatted a minute. And we passed by their table in the MDR one other night as we were leaving and talked for a while, but we didn't think to get their contact info because it's not something we normally do. I wish we would have, at least for the remainder of the cruise, because I was genuinely interested to know if they made the best of it.

It was always a chest thumping contest in the old Funville forums. Each and every day two individuals going at each other . Very much like this place at times.

Ugh. You verbalized how I am currently feeling about our cruise and this board. There has been so much contention, that it does make me wonder if those on my cruise are going to: not follow dress code, smoke on balcony, remove tips, chair hog, just be rude, etc. Thank you for reminding me that this board is not a prediction of what we will experience on our cruise! I may take a step back from reading CC until after my cruise in a few weeks.

I think it easier to come out of our shell if the exchange is organic and allowed to grow naturally. I don’t like the feeling of forceness or the pressure to “make friends”. Between my husband and I, I am by far the more outgoing, especially after a few drinks. My husband is definitely an introvert and it would take alot more encouragement to attend a M&M. He is really just happy with it being the two of us.

I completely agree with you! I would much rather pm than publicly blast questions, concerns or conversations, I’d rather discuss in private with a select few. I may have to look into that tapatalk firemanbobswife mentioned.

Ugh. You verbalized how I am currently feeling about our cruise and this board. There has been so much contention, that it does make me wonder if those on my cruise are going to: not follow dress code, smoke on balcony, remove tips, chair hog, just be rude, etc. Thank you for reminding me that this board is not a prediction of what we will experience on our cruise! I may take a step back from reading CC until after my cruise in a few weeks.
I understand exactly how you feel, but try not to get too discouraged. Things will be different on board the ship. Feel free to contact me if you'd like. :)