5 people in one cabin, showering tips

mkess420

I have 5 of us crammed into 1 ocean view room on the Elation in a couple weeks and was wondering about showering. Especially around dinner time when we all need to wash off the sunscreen and the sweat from the day. Can me and my 2 sons, 14 and 11, use the locker room showers?

Hi and welcome to CC :)

People often suggest that someone showers in the spa to relieve pressure on the cabin showers.

My friends used to buy their teenage boys an internet package so that they could go down and use that while the parents showered for dinner, anything that keeps people occupied will do just as well!

I think you are going to have to be very organized to do anything with 5 people in 185 sq. ft. I wasn't even aware that the Elation had an OV that would sleep 5.

According to them we have 2 twin beds, 2 pull down beds and one of the twins is a trundle bed. I keep trying to explain to my wife that we will be severely cramped. Nobody wanted to listen to me when it was being booked that for us we should probably get 2 rooms. I think they saved 100 bucks by not getting us 2 rooms.

According to them we have 2 twin beds, 2 pull down beds and one of the twins is a trundle bed. I keep trying to explain to my wife that we will be severely cramped. Nobody wanted to listen to me when it was being booked that for us we should probably get 2 rooms. I think they saved 100 bucks by not getting us 2 rooms.

We had 4 “adults” (my husband, my mom, myself and my 13 year old son) in a interior room and it really want all that bad. We were very rarely in our room.

We never had a showering conflict. I don’t know how, but it just worked out.

I think we could have done 5 just as easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So first off maybe show them a video of your room with all 5 beds made up. I could not imagine how tight that will be. For 100 bucks the closet space alone will be worth it not to mention 2 bathrooms, 4 beds plus one Pullman much better than a bed going all the way acossed the cabin and 2 people sleeping on top of that bed

We are a family of 4 with a 14 and 16 YO and its gotten to tight to be in one room. Defiantly use the locker room showers as often as possible. Have 1 kind of soap shampoo and conditioner for everyone to share in the room. No axe or old spice shower stuff, I have a teenage boy too. :-)

Also for us my DS and I shower at night so mornings go smoother. I always shower at night so that's just normal. We also find the closest public restroom and it has to be used quite often as the bathroom is occupied.

$100 more to have another bathroom and double the square footage??? You need to pull executive power and book another stateroom!!

I don't know what you mean by a trundle bed, but my understanding is that they were all twin size. So I can't understand having enough beds for 5 people. Is the 5th person an infant?

$100 more to have another bathroom and double the square footage??? You need to pull executive power and book another stateroom!!

I don't know what you mean by a trundle bed, but my understanding is that they were all twin size. So I can't understand having enough beds for 5 people. Is the 5th person an infant?

A trundle bed is another twin-sized bed that is stored underneath the regular bed and slides/rolls out. Some remain down on the floor, others are designed to raise up to be level with the regular bed. I would assume Carnival's just stays on the floor. It's a decent solution to needing an extra bed, but the biggest problem I see is that it's probably going to take up the remainder of the open floor between two twin beds once it's pulled out. If someone in the other beds needs to get up in the middle of the night, the one on the trundle is probably going to know it real quick. :o

OP, I'm with the others. For another $100, a second cabin is the way to go. If you do it, just be aware of their policy on minors in their own cabin. The 14 yr. old can be up to three cabins away from yours, but the 11 yr. old is required to be either next door or right across the hall, so your second cabin selection is going to be limited. Or you can try to change it so that an adult is in with a kid.

Get another cabin ASAP.

It could be an interior across the hall ,or try to rebook two cabins that connect with an interior door.

Does Carnival offer family suites or cabins ?They have them on Celebrity - Family Verandah Cabins.

Those on Celebrity don’ t have extra bathroom facilities,but they do offer more room in the cabin.

Good luck to you. I hope you and your family enjoy the cruise !

I wish I could get another cabin, but then again I'm not paying for it and it's not my family that's taking us, inlaws. Even with the cost difference, FIL, won't let us pay for nothing except what we do on port days. I can't complain to much. Plus my FIL thinks he knows everything there is to know since he's been on 2 cruises and I haven't, even though I've proven him very wrong numerous times. Luckily the youngest is 4 so there's a pretty good chance she ends up in bed with us.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I wish I could get another cabin, but then again I'm not paying for it and it's not my family that's taking us, inlaws. Even with the cost difference, FIL, won't let us pay for nothing except what we do on port days. I can't complain to much. Plus my FIL thinks he knows everything there is to know since he's been on 2 cruises and I haven't, even though I've proven him very wrong numerous times. Luckily the youngest is 4 so there's a pretty good chance she ends up in bed with us.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I hope you have a very "close" relationship with your in laws. I have been married 19 years, and when my MIL comes, she gets her own room......just a little tight otherwise. FYI, our normal cabin is a 5 person ocean view on NCL, but when on Carnival, we go with the 2 room option.

I hope you have a very "close" relationship with your in laws. I have been married 19 years, and when my MIL comes, she gets her own room......just a little tight otherwise. FYI, our normal cabin is a 5 person ocean view on NCL, but when on Carnival, we go with the 2 room option.

They aren’t in the room with their in laws. The in laws are paying and only want to pay for one room, not 2. So their family of 5 (mom, dad, 3 kids) are going to be in one room.

The trundle should go back under the bed easily during the day. Not pushing the twins together to make a king might help you feel like there is more space.

But maybe my family is just weird. We could all easily share 185 sqft for 7 days with ease. Especially with so many things to do around the ship. You’re rarely in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cruise with my four children and have cruised in a 5 person Ocean View on the Elation. It's a tight fit, but doable, especially if you don't spend a lot of time in the room. I always tell them I don't need the trundle, so it was my 14 year old son in one bunk, my 13 year old daughter in the other bunk, and then my 10 and 7 year old daughters and I shared the other two beds pushed together to make a king. It just gives us a little more space to not use the trundle.

Is there any chance that your in-laws will let one of your children sleep in their stateroom??

It's nice of your in-laws to pay for your cruise, but it's not exactly like he's giving you very much input or consideration. Are there other family members going also?

It sounds more like a test of patience to me. Hope you have an abundance!

Is there any chance that your in-laws will let one of your children sleep in their stateroom??

It's nice of your in-laws to pay for your cruise, but it's not exactly like he's giving you very much input or consideration. Are there other family members going also?

It sounds more like a test of patience to me. Hope you have an abundance!

My wife and I have discussed that as well. We'll have to see how this one plays out.

Make up a spreadsheet to use for claiming shower time. Also consider bringing a spare hot water heater just in case. You could also take a bar of soap to the hot tub.

Since one of your children is 4, I would

Have the two twins pushed together for a long and have the 4 year old sleep with you. That will leave a good pathway for bathroom trips. And I agree on the suitcases. Fortunately, Boys usually don't pack as much as teen girls. And the 4 year old has small clothes. Pack some extra wire hangers so you can have a place to store clothes. Or, what we've done before is have the kids pack the daily outfits in a gallon ziPlock. Shirt, shorts and unders. You can stack them in the shelves. And the kids Just grab and go

To the OP-

I understand your situation now that you have explained about your in-laws treating your family to the cruise.

It brings to mind a situation of a friend and her two daughters (age7 and 9) who were “treated “to a Disneyworld vacation by her father. They ended up sharing a hotel room ( not sure which Disneyworld hotel ) with her father and his second wife. Close quarters to say the least.

The friend and her daughters had very little to say about the vacation when they returned home.

At least on the ship,there is plenty of deck space and there are the clubs for the kids. Good idea about using the locker room/spa showers.

Good luck!

Maybe next time, the family will put you in charge of the vacation !:cool:

Hi, I have been in an ov cabin with five ppl. You can either have your 4 yr old sleep with you and your wife and the others take the bunk beds or you can split the beds so you have four single beds the trundle bed is movable and lowered and can be place right next to the window. 4yr old will have to get in and out from foot of bed as there would be no side access. Put up trundle bed during the day for more space. The closet doors opened provides a little changing room setup between the closet door and cabin door for changing clothes in privacy.

you prob only need to be in room to sleep, shower and change so don't sweat about it. If you are like me that go in at 2am and up at 5am on cruises you won't feel it as much