Passport Name Change - Marriage

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I got on married on Harmony back in December 2017 and just got our marriage license from the Bahamas last week....I've changed my name with Social Security and the DMV (new license), I need to change my passport too, however we have our Anniversary cruise booked on Harmony for this coming December (booked last year) so the name I'm listed under for that cruise is my maiden name.....Is it OK to change my Passport before this cruise? Will we have to rebook the cruise in my new name? My maiden name is still part of my full name. Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I got on married on Harmony back in December 2017 and just got our marriage license from the Bahamas last week....I've changed my name with Social Security and the DMV (new license), I need to change my passport too, however we have our Anniversary cruise booked on Harmony for this coming December (booked last year) so the name I'm listed under for that cruise is my maiden name.....Is it OK to change my Passport before this cruise? Will we have to rebook the cruise in my new name? My maiden name is still part of my full name. Thank you!

Just bring your marriage certificate as a "bridge" to confirm name change. That's what DDIL did (and she kept her old passport for the full 10 years).

Hi Everyone,

If you do change the name on your passport, you can change the booked name on your cruise with no charge.

Just bring your marriage certificate as a "bridge" to confirm name change. That's what DDIL did (and she kept her old passport for the full 10 years).

Why would the OP do that when they can simply pick up the phone and change the name on the reservation?

Check with RCI.

Most online check ins for cruise lines state that the name on the reservation MUST match the name on the passport.

While I haven't sailed RCI for several years, it was that way when I did online check in with my passport.

And for ports that actually check IDs and your cruise card before allowing one entry back into the port area, the name on the cruise card and your ID must match. So you may be pulled aside if you use your driver's license as your ID and the name doesn't match your cruise card.

Now, posters will come on here and "blah! blah! blah never been checked," but there are ports that the country's port security does take their duties seriously.

Keep your passport in the name you were given at birth if it matches your cruise reservation.

Also, be aware of what name you are using for any airline reservations and keep your aliases straight for ID purposes.

Hi Everyone,

If you leave the passport as is and the reservation matches it you are good.

If you change the name on the passport, you could call and they will simply change the last name on the reservation

Check with RCI.

Most online check ins for cruise lines state that the name on the reservation MUST match the name on the passport.

While I haven't sailed RCI for several years, it was that way when I did online check in with my passport.

And for ports that actually check IDs and your cruise card before allowing one entry back into the port area, the name on the cruise card and your ID must match. So you may be pulled aside if you use your driver's license as your ID and the name doesn't match your cruise card.

Now, posters will come on here and "blah! blah! blah never been checked," but there are ports that the country's port security does take their duties seriously.

Keep your passport in the name you were given at birth if it matches your cruise reservation.

Also, be aware of what name you are using for any airline reservations and keep your aliases straight for ID purposes.

Sounds pretty simple to change the name on the booking.