Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence

Peregrina651

8 minutes ago, Sacramento2012 said:

Thank you for the information. So will Viking help me prearrange a car? I always prefer to be early and not rushed. Our train is a direct train to Besancon where my friend lives. 

Viking sends a form requesting your travel plans.  I always deviate and never use Viking transfers.  I would talk to concierge early and ask to prearrange a car transfer for you; don’t rely on reception getting you a taxi that morning.  You can also check AvigninForumTripAdvisor for car service suggestions.  There are several.

Planning to transfer early is wise.  The TGA station is prob 15 min from the dock but traffic is the variable.  Bring some fruit & danish from the ship, buy coffee & settle in.

Please post a trip report.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, Peregrina651 said:

We leave in just a few weeks now (3/19 sailing) and it is my plan to "live blog" our adventure right here in this thread. It will be a good time to ask specific questions about the itinerary.

Peregrina,

You've done a great job in preparing and helping others to plan their trips. I hope that you'll have a great trip! Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

The drive from the airport to our hotel was a piece of cake. GPS instructions were clear. Car is equipped with GPS A pleasant surprise.  Enterprise set it on English for us before we left the parking lot. More about car rental when I get back to real keyboard. 

So far our lodgings are fabulous. A B&B. But we are skipping the breakfast part. Driving inside the old walled city is an experience. Fortunately we chose the hotel on the street that enters the gate. More on cars and hotel when I learn more. 

In spite of delays in Denver, we met up at Marseille airport as planned and as scheduled. So far we have checked out one bar --meh-- and one restaurant--delicious. MWIGH--more when I get home!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The drive from the airport to our hotel was a piece of cake. GPS instructions were clear. Car is equipped with GPS A pleasant surprise.  Enterprise set it on English for us before we left the parking lot. More about car rental when I get back to real keyboard. 

So far our lodgings are fabulous. A B&B. But we are skipping the breakfast part. Driving inside the old walled city is an experience. Fortunately we chose the hotel on the street that enters the gate. More on cars and hotel when I learn more. 

In spite of delays in Denver, we met up at Marseille airport as planned and as scheduled. So far we have checked out one bar --meh-- and one restaurant--delicious. MWIGH--more when I get home!

I must  have missed something .. you arrived a few days early? We didn't have much time all things considered to spend in Avignon last Summer. Think you'll enjoy it.  When you tour in Arles .. and are looking for lunch .. I found a pretty good place  but I can't remember it's name!!! I remember it was very close to the Rhone and just below the Constantin Palace.  Ah ha! Am looking now at the maps I saved from last Summer (we be pack rats extraordinaire) and now Google maps -- and going by that I think it must be called La Caravelle. 

Happy that everything worked out and that all arrived on time with no muss or fuss.  Trying to organize just yourselves is hard enough -- but with relatives coming from a different city!  Oy!

Edited by CharTrav

For those who are just joining, we are doing 3 nights pre-cruise in Avignon, on our own. Yesterday was spent getting here. 

Today was our first day of touring. For those who stumble on this years hence, it is a Sunday. A lot of places are closed. A challenge but not impossible. We started with the Sunday antiques and farmers market in L'isle sur la Sorgue. Found a lot with a spot on the edge of town. Just follow the crowd. Next stop, VIllage des Bories, old stone buildings and dwelling that popped up in the region and were then abandoned a couple of hundred years ago. Fascinating. Popular walking and picnic destination. However approach is one lane di-directional road (think Doc Martin episode 1 or 2).  Imho, worthy the effort. 

Next stop, Abbeye de Senanque. Cistertian Abby. Contemplative order. No talking. Hard working. Another even worse road into this one. Still worth it. Passed through the town of Gordes. Sorry we didn't stop. 

Final stops of the day were the Ochre Conservatory outside of Rouissilon and then the ochre cliffs near sundown in the town of Rouissilon. Wait till you see my pictures!

MWIGH. See post 254. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

For those who are just joining, we are doing 3 nights pre-cruise in Avignon, on our own. Yesterday was spent getting here. 

Today was our first day of touring. For those who stumble on this years hence, it is a Sunday. A lot of places are closed. A challenge but not impossible. We started with the Sunday antiques and farmers market in L'isle sur la Sorgue. Found a lot with a spot on the edge of town. Just follow the crowd. Next stop, VIllage des Bories, old stone buildings and dwelling that popped up in the region and were then abandoned a couple of hundred years ago. Fascinating. Popular walking and picnic destination. However approach is one lane di-directional road (think Doc Martin episode 1 or 2).  Imho, worthy the effort. 

Next stop, Abbeye de Senanque. Cistertian Abby. Contemplative order. No talking. Hard working. Another even worse road into this one. Still worth it. Passed through the town of Gordes. Sorry we didn't stop. 

Final stops of the day were the Ochre Conservatory outside of Rouissilon and then the ochre cliffs near sundown in the town of Rouissilon. Wait till you see my pictures!

MWIGH. See post 254. 

Wonderful!  I have spent much time in the area years ago, one reason I’d like to return w a cruise.  Look forward to amazing photos.  Thank you.

Will you head in same direction tomorrow toward St Remy & Bonnieux?

Edited by MURPHY27
Sp

On 3/13/2019 at 11:16 AM, MURPHY27 said:

Viking sends a form requesting your travel plans.  I always deviate and never use Viking transfers.  I would talk to concierge early and ask to prearrange a car transfer for you; don’t rely on reception getting you a taxi that morning.  You can also check AvigninForumTripAdvisor for car service suggestions.  There are several.

Planning to transfer early is wise.  The TGA station is prob 15 min from the dock but traffic is the variable.  Bring some fruit & danish from the ship, buy coffee & settle in.

Please post a trip report.

Thank you for this information. Very helpful. I will post updates as I can.  We leave home on the 8th, arrive on the 9th in Paris. We're on our own for a week. We bought the Paris Pass, and booked one full day tour - half day visit to Giverny, then a nice lunch, and the afternoon at Versailles.  That night we're booked on a night tour of Paris by Citroen. Then will take the high speed train to Lyon on the day of embarkation. Other than that, we'll see what we can see using the pass for three days. I hope the protests are done by then! 

35 minutes ago, Sacramento2012 said:

Thank you for this information. Very helpful. I will post updates as I can.  We leave home on the 8th, arrive on the 9th in Paris. We're on our own for a week. We bought the Paris Pass, and booked one full day tour - half day visit to Giverny, then a nice lunch, and the afternoon at Versailles.  That night we're booked on a night tour of Paris by Citroen. Then will take the high speed train to Lyon on the day of embarkation. Other than that, we'll see what we can see using the pass for three days. I hope the protests are done by then! 

Assuming this is first visit to Paris & Lyon?

In Lyon, one location not included by Viking will be the resistance museum located in Claus Barbie’s HQ; maybe you can fit that in.  The audioguide explains the documents but you need to show a passport to rent.

With the Paris Pass (or Paris Museum Pass) you don’t feel guilty popping into museums for a short visit and can prioritize instead of spending hours trying to see everything.  With a pass, you can see more.  For ex., Ive gone to the Rodin Museum just to sit in the garden.  Same w d’Orsay to see 5th floor impressionists or l’Orangerie to look st Monet’s water lilies, etc. is better than not visiting at all.

Many, if not most, museums open on weekends are closed either on Monday or Tuesday so do check the days & hours open.  The Louvre is not crowded Wed & Friday when open until 9:45.  Guided tours (90min) are also offered @ 11 & 2 for 26€ pp, which is probably cheaper than w Viking.

Monday. Sunny but 55 and windy. Last day of OYO pre-cruise. 

The engineers and the Latin students spent the day with the Romans.  Wow! Took us all day to see just these two items. The Roman Theater in Orange and the Roman Arena in Nimes. Simply amazing in so many ways. 

Boarding tomorrow.  Now is the time to start asking questions. 

Here is your first answer. It seems the ships winter right here in Avignon. We saw two Viking longships docked here today, rafted to one or two more. Only caught one name, the Delling--too busy watching the traffic. 

20190318_152122.thumb.jpg.18043deefa5300b5eea13bbad8609798.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The engineers and the Latin students spent the day with the Romans.  Wow! Took us all day to see just these two items. The Roman Theater in Orange and the Roman Arena in Nimes. Simply amazing in so many ways. 

Here is your first answer. It seems the ships winter right here in Avignon. We saw two Viking longships docked here today, rafted to one or two more. Only caught one name, the Delling--too busy watching the traffic. 

Cost of optionals?  Any others offered on the precruise?

Murphy, we have been on our own these past few days so I can't answer any questions about the Viking extensions. As for the optionals, I don't have access to MVJ anymore but I will see if they have left us a copy of the optional for this sailing in the cabin. 

Sunny. Windy. High 59F.  We are on board now. Arrived before 11 am and were probably the first to board. Three of us went to return the car. Easy peasy. All returns go in one gate and then in the left hand barrier. Park on a space assigned to your car company and walk to the kiosks. Gas station on the road between ship and TGV. Taxi rank right by kiosks. Our cost 13.50 to return to ship. 

TIP:  To get back to the ship, there is a pedestrian underpass. Walk out the city gate. Locate the ship and walk along the wall in the direction of the ship until you see the underpass. If you are at the St Benezet Bridge, there is cross walk right there, turn right out of the gate. 

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sunny. Windy. High 59F.  We are on board now. Arrived before 11 am and were probably the first to board. Three of us went to return the car. Easy peasy. All returns go in one gate and then in the left hand barrier. Park on a space assigned to your car company and walk to the kiosks. Gas station on the road between ship and TGV. Taxi rank right by kiosks. Our cost 13.50 to return to ship. 

TIP:  To get back to the ship, there is a pedestrian underpass. Walk out the city gate. Locate the ship and walk along the wall in the direction of the ship until you see the underpass. If you are at the St Benezet Bridge, there is cross walk right there, turn right out of the gate. 

We’ll soon be leaving for Paris. Any packing suggestions? 

On 3/18/2019 at 8:28 PM, MURPHY27 said:

Cost of optionals?  Any others offered on the precruise?

Feel free to look at the day by day I prepared for France's Finest last Summer which provides details on all the optional excursions offered then including prices. They may not be exactly the same as this year but suspect not that different. Look iny signature block for links to the where I've stored it on Dropbox 

On 3/18/2019 at 6:09 PM, Peregrina651 said:

As you recall we did the Delling last Summer. 

3 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Feel free to look at the day by day I prepared for France's Finest last Summer which provides details on all the optional excursions offered then including prices. They may not be exactly the same as this year but suspect not that different. Look iny signature block for links to the where I've stored it on Dropbox 

Char's docs are very helpful. 

5 hours ago, Cairn Mom said:

We’ll soon be leaving for Paris. Any packing suggestions? 

Mistral winds here in the south make it seem a lot colder than it actually is. I should have brought a second sweater because I am going to be wearing my one and only every single day. 

More thoughts on car rentals. Manual shift only around here. If you are not experienced on a manual, these narrow city streets and narrow winding country roads are not the place to be learning. 

Edited by Peregrina651

Wednesday in Arles. Sunny. Windy and chilly in the morning. Warmer and not as windy in the afternoon.  Morning. Included. It is a walking tour. 2 hours plus.  Mostly on your feet. Visit to Roman amphitheater with uneven steps.  Loved it. Great guide.  Afternoon. Optional tour. The multimedia show at Les Lumieres Carrieres outside of Les Baux des Provence.  Many thanks to Jazzbeau who marked Les Lumieres as a must-see. Next stop is the cliffside village of Les Baux. There is no flat walking here. Great vistas. Interesting history. Good shopping. (2019 is  Van Gogh show and a Japanese show).

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Wednesday in Arles. Sunny. Windy and chilly in the morning. Warmer and not as windy in the afternoon.  Morning. Included. It is a walking tour. 2 hours plus.  Mostly on your feet. Visit to Roman amphitheater with uneven steps.  Loved it. Great guide.  Afternoon. Optional tour. The multimedia show at Les Lumieres Carrieres outside of Les Baux des Provence.  Many thanks to Jazzbeau who marked Les Lumieres as a must-see. Next stop is the cliffside village of Les Baux. There is no flat walking here. Great vistas. Interesting history. Good shopping. (2019 is  Van Gogh show and a Japanese show).

I’m glad you enjoyed the optional excursion because we also signed up for it lol. Any shopping recommendations? Have fun 🙂

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Glad you enjoyed Carrières de Lumières.  The art is different every year, but there are so many great artists that there should always be something of interest – and the experience of being immersed in it is unique.  Les Baux is also very interesting, and I don't understand why the two are often split into separate tours [since as you note they are literally adjacent].

3 hours ago, Cairn Mom said:

I’m glad you enjoyed the optional excursion because we also signed up for it lol. Any shopping recommendations? Have fun 🙂

I'm mostly a window shopper, so I'm the last to ask about shopping. I did buy a Santon to put in the display box.  And other than some books that is about all I have bought.