2-bedroom suite with an adult staying in the second bedroom

I recently stayed in the second bedroom on the Gem. My big issue was storage. There were a few drawers and hangers but that closet didn't hold the suitcase well. I probably could've found somewhere else to put it. I found it fine for one adult person.

The Escape 2BR storage wasn't a problem, we had 6(yes 6) in the 2 BR found storage for everyones clothes. The 5 Suitcase all fit und the bed in the master bedroom. The amount of storage surprised us.

I have stayed in the 2 bedroom suite in both the master bedroom and in the small inside 2nd bedroom. The small bedroom was fine for one person. Ask for an egg-crate topper on the bed.

You didnt ask this, but I will throw in my 2 cents anyway -- I would not be willing to pay 1/3 of the total price for the small bedroom. In my view, that is not equitable. The master bedroom is huge with an incredible bathroom. Plus, the first two people on the reservation get the promos, and the third person does not. When I had my sister in law join us, and I was in the master w/ my husband, we had the 3rd person free promo, and so we only asked her to pay her port taxes and fees, her gratuities, her beverage package and dinner package costs (since she didnt get the promos) and we asked her to kick in a portion of the concierge and butler tips. It was much less by more than half of what it would have cost her to get her own room. When I was asked by friends to join them and I was in the small bedroom, they did not have the 3rd person free, and they asked me to pay the difference between what it cost for the two of them alone in the suite, and what it cost to add me (which was much less than full fare for a balcony). I also paid my dsc and dining package. (I dont really drink much and even the 100. in service charges would be higher than the cost of just buying drinks as I go...). I thought it would have been more fair if I paid the difference between their cost for a penthouse for 2 people, and their cost for the 3 of us in the 2 bedroom, which would have had me paying about 700. more, because, lets face it, they wouldnt have gotten a two bedroom but for me going, but they insisted on doing it their way and I was very appreciative....

Edited by tel2

I have stayed in the 2 bedroom suite in both the master bedroom and in the small inside 2nd bedroom. The small bedroom was fine for one person. Ask for an egg-crate topper on the bed.

You didnt ask this, but I will throw in my 2 cents anyway -- I would not be willing to pay 1/3 of the total price for the small bedroom. In my view, that is not equitable. The master bedroom is huge with an incredible bathroom. When I had my sister in law join us, and I was in the master w/ my husband, we had the 3rd person free promo, and so we only asked her to pay her port taxes and fees, her gratuities, her beverage package and dinner package costs (since she didnt get the promos) and we asked her to kick in a portion of the concierge and butler tips. It was much less by more than half of what it would have cost her to get her own room. When I was asked by friends to join them and I was in the small bedroom, they did not have the 3rd person free, and they asked me to pay the difference between what it cost for the two of them alone in the suite, and what it cost to add me (which was much less than full fare for a balcony). I also paid my dsc and dining package. (I dont really drink much and even the 100. in service charges would be higher than the cost of just buying drinks as I go...). I thought it would have been more fair if I paid the difference between their cost for a penthouse for 2 people, and their cost for the 3 of us in the 2 bedroom, which would have had me paying about 700. more, because, lets face it, they wouldnt have gotten a two bedroom but for me going, but they insisted on doing it their way and I was very appreciative....

That second way of trying to share costs is interesting.

We'll keep that in mind, because I sort of think that using both methods and using the average is probably about right.

But either method obviously makes sense, and whatever works for the people involved, including something totally different, makes sense.

GC

Yes, it would be a bit tight, but there IS room to dress, even with the beds in use.

It's a great space, given that it only needs to be used for sleeping, with the nice living room available.

But, seeing this reminds me of our first view of the small 2nd BR:

This would have been HEAVEN had my inside cabin looked like this back in the mid 1970's :)

It's all relative!

RM

This old gal will be fine. Though I think I may not end up in this room.

You didnt ask this, but I will throw in my 2 cents anyway -- I would not be willing to pay 1/3 of the total price for the small bedroom. In my view, that is not equitable. The master bedroom is huge with an incredible bathroom. Plus, the first two people on the reservation get the promos, and the third person does not. When I had my sister in law join us, and I was in the master w/ my husband, we had the 3rd person free promo, and so we only asked her to pay her port taxes and fees, her gratuities, her beverage package and dinner package costs (since she didnt get the promos) and we asked her to kick in a portion of the concierge and butler tips. It was much less by more than half of what it would have cost her to get her own room. When I was asked by friends to join them and I was in the small bedroom, they did not have the 3rd person free, and they asked me to pay the difference between what it cost for the two of them alone in the suite, and what it cost to add me (which was much less than full fare for a balcony). I also paid my dsc and dining package. (I dont really drink much and even the 100. in service charges would be higher than the cost of just buying drinks as I go...). I thought it would have been more fair if I paid the difference between their cost for a penthouse for 2 people, and their cost for the 3 of us in the 2 bedroom, which would have had me paying about 700. more, because, lets face it, they wouldnt have gotten a two bedroom but for me going, but they insisted on doing it their way and I was very appreciative....

I appreciate your thoughts. I will not be paying for anything. Most likely I will not be in the 2nd room but wanted an idea before I volunteered. My older adult children thought it would be nice for us to enjoy a cruise together before I get way too long in tooth. No spouses or kids. I am thrilled of course that they thought of it and wanted to treat! I am blessed!

If helpful, I have quite a few pics of main bedroom and 2nd bedroom on the getaway here. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/. My daughter and son in law stayed in the 2nd bedroom on one trip, else it’s my teenage daughter staying in there. It’s quite dark but she’s comfortable. We take a lighted snow globe as it’s always Christmas time- she loves it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If helpful, I have quite a few pics of main bedroom and 2nd bedroom on the getaway here. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/. My daughter and son in law stayed in the 2nd bedroom on one trip, else it’s my teenage daughter staying in there. It’s quite dark but she’s comfortable. We take a lighted snow globe as it’s always Christmas time- she loves it. :)

Wow, what a great review including pictures. My DD and I will be on the Getaway in a spa balcony next year - no Haven for us as I am watching my pennies since I already have a booked cruise with DH and friends and an unplanned DH and friends cruise we will plan on the one we are going on. I am a fan of the Haven. For Alaska with my children (loose term), we are thinking the Haven would be a better fit.

We did the Pearl with the 2BR Family Suite in 2016. It was myself, DW, and then 6yo DD.

I did a trip report here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379752

If you want to read the whole thing great :) If not I have pics and a video of the cabin on the second page

Your video was great. By chance do you remember if bed could be made into twins? Thank you.

Your video was great. By chance do you remember if bed could be made into twins? Thank you.

My understanding is that none of the beds in the suites are separable. Examining the deck plan on the Jewel class ships that appears to be the case.

My understanding is that none of the beds in the suites are separable. Examining the deck plan on the Jewel class ships that appears to be the case.

Not necessarily None !

The bed frame if a KING can not be separated and in most cases there is not enough usable room to split

the bed in the space provided.

However check under the bed (a convenient place to store your luggage) and if you see two twin bed frames

then the bed can be split.

The upper combined mattress is removed and replaced with two mattresses on the bed frames but again space

may play a factor if this can be done.

One thing for sure this causes your cabin attendant a headache in moving mattresses around.

Best way to check this out is to make an advanced inquiry requesting the change in bedding.

Best not to spring this on the cabin attendant upon boarding when he may very well be filled with lots of other

bedding requests made at the last minute.

I don't have number or email to get this done but I would think that the pre-cruise Concierge service should

be able to connect the dots and provide a YES or NO answer or solution to this.

Bedding changes in Suites is not as common as it is in other non-suite cabins insides ocean view balcony.

I was in the Owners suite on the SUN recently and the bed could be split - not that my cabin attendant appreciated it.

Most all suites have a convertible couch with Spartan sleeping arrangements for two.

Some have Murphy beds - others like the 2br have separate arrangements for two and

the third fold down Pullman bed. Hammocks and such are not provided nor recommended -

sleeping bags may be a consideration but camping out on deck (balcony) is frowned upon

and then there is the extra baggage.

Basically the cruise industry bedding is set up for mutually compatible familiar (married) couples

all the rest make do with convertible couches Pullman beds Murphy beds etc.

Not necessarily None !

The bed frame if a KING can not be separated and in most cases there is not enough usable room to split

the bed in the space provided.

However check under the bed (a convenient place to store your luggage) and if you see two twin bed frames

then the bed can be split.

The upper combined mattress is removed and replaced with two mattresses on the bed frames but again space

may play a factor if this can be done.

One thing for sure this causes your cabin attendant a headache in moving mattresses around.

Best way to check this out is to make an advanced inquiry requesting the change in bedding.

Best not to spring this on the cabin attendant upon boarding when he may very well be filled with lots of other

bedding requests made at the last minute.

I don't have number or email to get this done but I would think that the pre-cruise Concierge service should

be able to connect the dots and provide a YES or NO answer or solution to this.

Bedding changes in Suites is not as common as it is in other non-suite cabins insides ocean view balcony.

I was in the Owners suite on the SUN recently and the bed could be split - not that my cabin attendant appreciated it.

Most all suites have a convertible couch with Spartan sleeping arrangements for two.

Some have Murphy beds - others like the 2br have separate arrangements for two and

the third fold down Pullman bed. Hammocks and such are not provided nor recommended -

sleeping bags may be a consideration but camping out on deck (balcony) is frowned upon

and then there is the extra baggage.

Basically the cruise industry bedding is set up for mutually compatible familiar (married) couplesmutually compatible familiar (married) couples

all the rest make do with convertible couches Pullman beds Murphy beds etc.

Thanks this pretty much sums it up. When my DD and I travel we have been lucky with NCL and Carnival that the beds could be split including suites. I do recall reading that some cannot.

I wanted to give DS options in cabins. Since this cruise is not with “mutually compatible familiar (married) couples” (I loved this!) and with my adult children treating mom for her “elder birthday” I think we would all like our own bed.

I appreciate the info.

There is a link in my signature from the Jade 2Br. The pull-out and main bedroom could not be split, but there were a total of 4 sleeping locations. The main bedroom bed, the pull-out in the second BR along with the drop-down. The sofa could also pull out in the LR as another bed.

If you mean the bed in the second bedroom I don't believe so as there would not be enough room.

Glad you liked the video

Just sailed in 2 BR suite on the Dawn. I was a sole adult in the second bedroom, and as others have said, you can use the wedge to partially shut the outside door or leave the bathroom door ajar for light. There was enough room for dressing. For some odd reason the room is key carded, so I believe if you shut it nobody can get in without a key card (I did not test this).

The image above showed the bed when pulled out considerably higher than what I had on the Dawn -- my bed ended up being basically one mattress height off the floor whereas the green bed image above looks like two layers -- perhaps that was unfolded as a twin and when unfolded in my case as a Queen it was lower? This is the sole reason I wouldn't agree to that setup again. I think for kids it's great. I did leave it as a bed all week as I can't imagine adding the extra work for the steward (and I like a nap!) In future, however, I will definitely stick with the Murphy bed option when available, as it was far more comfortable.

We preferred to shower in the small bedroom shower as opposed to the beautiful master shower, as the tile in the master bath was inexplicably slippery when wet. Not sure whether this is ship- or fleet-wide or somebody had somehow applied something slick to the tile that they hadn't been able to remove. The tiles in the smaller bathroom shower were much smaller and provided more security, especially for an older traveler.

The couch in the living room was quite comfortable and roomy enough that it was pretty pleasant to stretch out on with the sliding door open and listen to the sea if you wanted to avoid the sun or stay a bit cooler or warmer (depending).

Just sailed in 2 BR suite on the Dawn. I was a sole adult in the second bedroom, and as others have said, you can use the wedge to partially shut the outside door or leave the bathroom door ajar for light. There was enough room for dressing. For some odd reason the room is key carded, so I believe if you shut it nobody can get in without a key card (I did not test this).

The image above showed the bed when pulled out considerably higher than what I had on the Dawn -- my bed ended up being basically one mattress height off the floor whereas the green bed image above looks like two layers -- perhaps that was unfolded as a twin and when unfolded in my case as a Queen it was lower? This is the sole reason I wouldn't agree to that setup again. I think for kids it's great. I did leave it as a bed all week as I can't imagine adding the extra work for the steward (and I like a nap!) In future, however, I will definitely stick with the Murphy bed option when available, as it was far more comfortable.

We preferred to shower in the small bedroom shower as opposed to the beautiful master shower, as the tile in the master bath was inexplicably slippery when wet. Not sure whether this is ship- or fleet-wide or somebody had somehow applied something slick to the tile that they hadn't been able to remove. The tiles in the smaller bathroom shower were much smaller and provided more security, especially for an older traveler.

The couch in the living room was quite comfortable and roomy enough that it was pretty pleasant to stretch out on with the sliding door open and listen to the sea if you wanted to avoid the sun or stay a bit cooler or warmer (depending).

On a different ship, but I remember that the 2nd bedroom needed a key card. Very odd.

It would make more sense to make a second entry to the LR to require a key card if closed, so the smaller BR could be "locked out". (Think of a travel companion or aide? I suppose someone might lock children out, however, so that wouldn't be good!)

But locking out the 2nd BR? It's not like a hotel where they sometimes rent a 2BR suite as a 1BR, and just keep the door locked, and perhaps rent the other bedroom totally separately.

Or I don't think NCL does that! (Think of that: A "Haven inside cabin" :D)

GC

On a different ship, but I remember that the 2nd bedroom needed a key card. Very odd.

It would make more sense to make a second entry to the LR to require a key card if closed, so the smaller BR could be "locked out". (Think of a travel companion or aide? I suppose someone might lock children out, however, so that wouldn't be good!)

There were multiple keyed doors - the main one from the hallway. Then keyed access to the 2nd bedroom. Then keyed access to the living room. So yes, a couple staying in the master could lock a companion from the 2nd bedroom out of the living room, master, and balcony.

This may be because the suite I was in linked to the balcony room next door. So if the suite/balcony room were tied together, you might well lock access to the living room/master, while still permitting the people in the balcony and the kids in the back bedroom to come and go as they please between each other's rooms.

It was a bit of a klunky arrangement, however, because it made for multiple doors held open by rubber wedges which we kept tripping over and kicking out of place all week.

There were multiple keyed doors - the main one from the hallway. Then keyed access to the 2nd bedroom. Then keyed access to the living room. So yes, a couple staying in the master could lock a companion from the 2nd bedroom out of the living room, master, and balcony.

This may be because the suite I was in linked to the balcony room next door. So if the suite/balcony room were tied together, you might well lock access to the living room/master, while still permitting the people in the balcony and the kids in the back bedroom to come and go as they please between each other's rooms.

It was a bit of a klunky arrangement, however, because it made for multiple doors held open by rubber wedges which we kept tripping over and kicking out of place all week.

Perhaps our LR door did have a key-card lock.

That would actually make more sense than only having the internal smaller 2nd BR have keycard.

But I'm not sure we ever had a reason to close that LR door, given that the suite door locked.

So you had a 2BR suite that connected privately to a balcony room, making what could be a 3BR suite (not the Garden Villa)?

If so, which ship/suite? Maybe I misunderstood (likely!).

That would be ideal for us when the grands are along.

Having 3 generations in a 2BR doesn't work that well, even though all 6 would be allowed.

We've typically had to reserve something else, and either get an inside *right* across the hall, if available, or something else.

GC

I got locked out of the 2nd bedroom on the Gem about 1/2 way through cruise. No key cards would work. Security had to come fix it. Maybe that door had just slammed one too many times with the movement of the ship and something got jostled inside.

Thanks Daisy! You gave quite a bit of good info especially about the key.

I sailed on the Star in the 2 bedroom suite last year and it is fine. I would recommend always having your key card as the 2nd bedroom door would always shut- couldn’t keep ajar without a stopper, I was afraid I would lock myself out. The other tip... if you are afraid of the “cave” feeling is to leave your tv on mute all night on the port camera channel- that way you see the sunrise and can awake slowly that way. Loved the extra room so this worth it for 3 adults! Enjoy!

I sailed on the Star in the 2 bedroom suite last year and it is fine. I would recommend always having your key card as the 2nd bedroom door would always shut- couldn’t keep ajar without a stopper, I was afraid I would lock myself out. The other tip... if you are afraid of the “cave” feeling is to leave your tv on mute all night on the port camera channel- that way you see the sunrise and can awake slowly that way. Loved the extra room so this worth it for 3 adults! Enjoy!

Thanks we loved the Star. We had the aft corner suite on 9 - spectacular.

Curious couldn't you use the dead bolt latch to prevent the door from closing all the way ?

This is the manual thumb operated latch that is used in the Do Not Disturb function when the door is shut.

With the Key Card function where the card is inserted into a slot and with others just passing it in front of the

door handle this would not be all the same on all NCL ships - YMMV.

And YES when those electronic gizmo key card locks has a breakdown - the ships engineer aka Locksmith

has to be called.

But interesting if that dead bolt latch works - - - beats the rubber door stops that the cabin attendant uses.

Perhaps our LR door did have a key-card lock.

So you had a 2BR suite that connected privately to a balcony room, making what could be a 3BR suite (not the Garden Villa)?

If so, which ship/suite? Maybe I misunderstood (likely!).

GC

It was the Dawn, one of the 11th floor 2 BR suites (Opal Suite, 11530). The set up from inside was just like a hotel room that can open up to the adjoining room depending on whether you've booked it that way or not. Just checked the deck plan, and it looks like the room adjoining is a mini suite, not balcony. Deck 11 shows this option consistently. So yes, you could get a 3 BR suite out of it (one of the bedrooms being decidedly inferior ;)) I have no idea how that would work in terms of suite perks, but at worst the family could still share the livingroom and daily snacks and disembark together at ports and at the end of the cruise. (The concierge gave us priority luggage tags to give to our travelmates in an inside room on another deck so that their luggage would be put with ours -- they were able to leave them outside their own cabin)

The sign next to our room actually showed TWO numbers -- our cabin number and another number underneath -- perhaps indicating the designation when they're joined?