Amending gratuities - keep them but reduce the amount?

Croose

Ok, am going to just say one thing and I too have worked very hard the past 45 years for my retirement travel years and don't squander. But I have to think this of what OP and a few others have said. So you pay $10pp per day instead of $13.50. So you save $7 per day and say for a 7 day cruise that is a total of $49. Really? If this is such an important figure to you (and I remember the days that it was! for me too), then either save a little more before your cruise or don't book in the first place. I guess I get around this by being fortunate and keeping an eye out on sales because for my last 9 cruises I have always gotten my gratuities as a freebie!!! But when I book and they aren't included, I definitely figure out what they are and if if affects what I can afford I change my cabin I will book. I don't waste my breath on the system. It is what it is and has been for a very long time and is well spelled out and not a hidden cost at all. Why, oh why, even in cultures where tipping is not the norm, do people not see this and budget it into their vacations? If you need to budget more, than forego all extras onboard(I have done that in the past when first started cruising), and you will have pre-paid the entire trip ahead of time which is really nice! Again, when booking, I try to get a little OBC so I can buy that stray picture or drink! In the future, remember, if you can't get them free when you are pricing a cruise, you need to include, the fare pp., taxes and port fees, insurance, AND gratuities.

respectfully disagree. When you plan a trip, you plan for all expenses. When going on a road trip you plan on the gas costs, hotel, meals, tickets etc. You save for all expenses.

Same as a cruise, when planning you plan for all expenses which includes service charges.

Disagree all you want but I still believe that making statements about other people and what they can or can not afford is very rude and insulting. Ever think that in order to be able to afford the cruise they factored in removing the auto tip? And planned to tip by snother means or scale. Sounds like you have never had to travel on a limited budget.

but at a rate we can afford and still feel is fair.

@ Potstech

The OP is acknowledging that they CAN NOT afford it. They are making their financial situation very clear to this forum. But, they want it to "Feel" fair. Feel fair for who?

The expectation of the passenger is that they will receive exceptional service. The expectation of the service provider (server, room steward) is that they will receive the recommended gratuity. That's the social contract that you enter when you chose to cruise. If the service is not provided, the passenger can always report this matter to management. What does the service provider do when the cheap Brit who has never been on a cruise before decides "In my country we don't tip, so, too bad"? They take it on the chin and get ready for the next sailing.

So, stop preaching to this forum about how we should treat each other. The OP is in over their head and want's validation for being cheap.

@ Potstech

The OP is acknowledging that they CAN NOT afford it. They are making their financial situation very clear to this forum. But, they want it to "Feel" fair. Feel fair for who?

The expectation of the passenger is that they will receive exceptional service. The expectation of the service provider (server, room steward) is that they will receive the recommended gratuity. That's the social contract that you enter when you chose to cruise. If the service is not provided, the passenger can always report this matter to management. What does the service provider do when the cheap Brit who has never been on a cruise before decides "In my country we don't tip, so, too bad"? They take it on the chin and get ready for the next sailing.

So, stop preaching to this forum about how we should treat each other. The OP is in over their head and want's validation for being cheap.

I wouldn't say validation for being cheap. I honestly couldn't care less what others think of our decisions. I came on here to ask was it possible to reduce the rate, not to be lectured.

Oh and my goodwill for Princess doesn't extend very far - we paid the same price for an inside cabin as what balconies were later advertised at only a few weeks later. When we asked Princess if we could be upgraded to the balcony we were told, in no uncertain terms, "no". Could we have a partial refund then? No. The difference in OBC? No. They were immovable. However our TA told us that for American passengers this is not a problem at all.

Given we've already paid about £200 more for an inside than what others will have paid for a balcony, you can see why being asked to pay an additional £400 on top of that is a little jarring.

I wouldn't say validation for being cheap. I honestly couldn't care less what others think of our decisions. I came on here to ask was it possible to reduce the rate, not to be lectured.

Oh and my goodwill for Princess doesn't extend very far - we paid the same price for an inside cabin as what balconies were later advertised at only a few weeks later. When we asked Princess if we could be upgraded to the balcony we were told, in no uncertain terms, "no". Could we have a partial refund then? No. The difference in OBC? No. They were immovable. However our TA told us that for American passengers this is not a problem at all.

Given we've already paid about £200 more for an inside than what others will have paid for a balcony, you can see why being asked to pay an additional £400 on top of that is a little jarring.

ah, the plot thickens...you're actually pissed at Princess and now are going to punish the staff to show them. Interesting tactic.

ah, the plot thickens...you're actually pissed at Princess and now are going to punish the staff to show them. Interesting tactic.

View it that way if you want. As I say, we're travelling on a budget. Princess were happy to overcharge us.

I think making the staff hand in their personal tips is a dreadfully unfair system, both for the staff and the customers who wish to see it stay with them.

People sometimes forget on these forums that not everybody is cut from the same cloth. I've seen people posting here who eat speciality every night, buy drinks packages, stay in suites and cruise several times a year.

First, extra tips are handed into the tipping pool ONLY if the automatically applied service charge is removed or reduced. That makes it fair for all. There are many staff in the buffet, at the pizza and hot dog areas, etc. that clean tables, bring you beverages, take orders (such as in Alfredo's), etc. who make your cruise a better experience and who you may not think of tipping individually.

People sometimes forget that when the currency onboard is US$, then US customs are observed. As the saying goes, "When in Rome...."

First, extra tips are handed into the tipping pool ONLY if the automatically applied service charge is removed or reduced. That makes it fair for all. There are many staff in the buffet, at the pizza and hot dog areas, etc. that clean tables, bring you beverages, take orders (such as in Alfredo's), etc. who make your cruise a better experience and who you may not think of tipping individually.

People sometimes forget that when the currency onboard is US$, then US customs are observed. As the saying goes, "When in Rome...."

............do as the Europeans do, remove your tips/dsc/gratuities............ :rolleyes:

First, welcome to Cruise Critic. I see your first post was this thread.

Sorry you are annoyed at Princess for not upgrading you to a balcony or giving you an OBC. Your TA told you that for American passengers, that would not be a problem. That isn't always the case if it's after final payment date. They do specials, flash sales, etc after we all have made our final payments and Princess many times won't budge on what we did. The majority of time, they won't do a thing.

As you see, things are handled differently everywhere, just like the tip situation.

As far as the tipping situation, would you have changed it if you weren't annoyed at Princess for them not changing your cabin? Was that something you have thought of all along?

I realize that you aren't from a culture that is big on tipping. My son was a server here while in college and often ended up short changed because of this. It's the reason that a majority of the restaurants here in Miami have an auto gratuity in place.

Of course you may remove your tips. Not quite sure if it's all or nothing. If you give cash to anyone, they won't be allowed to keep it once you remove any of the auto tip.

It's not Princess that will feel your pain, it's the crew members who are working 24/7 to take care of you that will feel that pain. Only you can decide if that's something you can live with. If you wouldn't be bothered at all if it was done to you or your family members if they got "short changed" by others, then I guess you have your answer.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

In reading the boards on CC for quite awhile, I thought the policy is exactly as written by Pam. Has anyone ever confirmed that it is indeed the case? Have any crew members/relatives of crew ever stated/posted how they are paid? I would be interested to know if there is a cut out of the $13/day that goes to Princess? Further, if the rate is raised to $13.50 per day, for example, would the extra $.50 (or only a percentage) go to the crew? These people work tirelessly and always have smiles on their faces. If I knew what they were actually getting less out of our daily gratuities than what appears, I would likely raise the amount of cash, given out at the end of our cruises.

This entire conversation puzzles me because I just don’t understand why tipping wasn’t included in the OP’s initial planning for the cruise. When we decide to book a cruise, we don’t just consider what the cruise fare is. We consider port charges, vacation protection, air fare, excursions, on board charges (including tips), etc. Only after considering all of these expenses, would we make a final decision as to whether we can afford a particular cruise or instead look at something less expensive. It wouldn’t even cross our mind to say we can only afford this if we cut the tips by a few dollars a day.

And then to complain that you booked a particular cabin at a particular fare, but are now upset because fares have come down is another puzzle. The fare and cabin were acceptable when the cruise was booked.

I don’t believe this is just a tipping issue. It sounds more like buyers remorse.

First, welcome to Cruise Critic. I see your first post was this thread.

Sorry you are annoyed at Princess for not upgrading you to a balcony or giving you an OBC. Your TA told you that for American passengers, that would not be a problem. That isn't always the case if it's after final payment date. They do specials, flash sales, etc after we all have made our final payments and Princess many times won't budge on what we did. The majority of time, they won't do a thing.

As you see, things are handled differently everywhere, just like the tip situation.

As far as the tipping situation, would you have changed it if you weren't annoyed at Princess for them not changing your cabin? Was that something you have thought of all along?

I realize that you aren't from a culture that is big on tipping. My son was a server here while in college and often ended up short changed because of this. It's the reason that a majority of the restaurants here in Miami have an auto gratuity in place.

Of course you may remove your tips. Not quite sure if it's all or nothing. If you give cash to anyone, they won't be allowed to keep it once you remove any of the auto tip.

It's not Princess that will feel your pain, it's the crew members who are working 24/7 to take care of you that will feel that pain. Only you can decide if that's something you can live with. If you wouldn't be bothered at all if it was done to you or your family members if they got "short changed" by others, then I guess you have your answer.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for a thoughtful post, I appreciate it :)

Yes, even without the upgrade/credit, we would have wanted to reduce our gratuities. While we recognise that it's a different culture, and therefore are happy to tip, we reserve the right to tip an amount that WE are happy with, rather than an arbitrary number decided by the cruise line itself. Princesses' own policies state that this is perfectly acceptable - if it wasn't, they would remove the ability to do so.

This thread was simply to see whether it was possible to reduce auto-gratuities rather than having to remove them all and use envelopes.

As my question has been answered, and I can see this is winding people up the wrong way, I'm happy enough for mods to close this thread and move on!

View it that way if you want. As I say, we're travelling on a budget. Princess were happy to overcharge us.

When someone voluntarily accepts a stated price,that is called an offer and acceptance not an overcharge!

As the title says, is it possible to change the amount of automatic gratuities while still paying by this method? We feel that $13.50 per person per day is excessive and would NEVER tip this amount normally (not from a tipping culture anyway) but we've no desire to cancel them entirely as we recognise it's a fair way to distribute gratuities amongst all the staff. We can always 'top up' with individual gratuities for any service we feel merits an extra tip - which is, after all, the point of tipping in the first place.

If this isn't possible we'll just have to rely on the old envelopes method!

So you think that the norms of the culture you are FROM should govern your behavior when you are in a completely different culture, i.e., mass market cruise line culture? Funny when Americans do that we are scolded and called ugly Americans.