Reflection disembark from Rome Question-Any problems?

NaplesBeachgal

The itinerary says ship docks at 5 am . We are looking at 10 40 flight to the USA as a suite guest. The price is much cheaper than the 12 30 flight. Anyone experience issues with late arrival to Rome or not being able to get off. What time can we carry luggage off as a suite guest? Thanks for all your feedback!

You would have to do early walk off carrying your own luggage which would probably be by 7:am. Keep in mind the airport is about 1 1/2 hours away from the cruise port, so I would pre-book a private transfer to meet you at the ship at the designated time. Waiting for a cab would take longer. You also have to deal with traffic, which in Rome can be horrendous at times.

You could probably make this flight if the flying gods are with you, but to be honest, it would much too stressful for me. I would pay more to be assured of making my flight home. Our flight home from Barcelona to Toronto is at 11:45 and even this concerns me and the airport is only 30 minutes away from the port.

Just make sure you have a plan B in case. Good luck!

Sorry to jump in here...but I am planning to fly home from Rome on a Friday morning. The flight leaves at 10:50 am and we do have a private transfer scheduled for 7 am from the port. Lady Arwen, are you saying that this won't work and that I should arrange for an earlier transfer? We are suite guests too with priority check-in at the airport.

Thanks,

Sue

sueinvienna, assuming you do get your shuttle at 7:00 you should be at FCO by 8:30 which would be enough time.

The only risks are:

Delayed debarkation

Heavy traffic on way to airport

Keep in mind that FCO is a very busy airport and it will take time to get through check in/security.

We have an 11:50 flight later in July and have an 8:00 shuttle booked and are very comfortable with the timing.

If you are aware of the issues with early departures and feel you can make it, it is totally up to you. Just have another plan in place and know that later airlines may be filled. That way, you will be prepared, at least somewhat. It is difficult for us to tell you if there is enough time, as no crystal ball and this is summer. I have personally done it both ways! For the earlier time, my DH and I kept our luggage and left the ship at 6:20 to beat those who jam up the elevators with breakfast and doing the same thing. We were early and so was our ride(Romecabs); things worked out just fine...we say the earlier the better to allow for any issues, but that is us!

It can also make a difference if you are leaving with others or just by yourselves. Having 6 other people who are not close friends can provide late issues...it happens! Also, day of week can be an issue. Yep, your comfort level is important. We have disembarked from Rome many times...

Edited by Lastdance

We just disembarked the Reflection on June 29th. We did the express walk off and left the ship at 6:40am. We were one of the very first to leave the ship as disembarkation was delayed. Our driver was waiting for us and we got to the airport by 7:30am. That was on a Friday and he said that traffic was usually pretty light to the airport that time of the day. We had also been warned about heavy traffic but there wasn't any.

All the American airlines have the same collection point for checking in and that became very backed up upon arrival of the Celebrity buses. But when we arrived it was clear sailing through that as well. I don't know anything about those queues because we were flying Air Canada.

Once you check in your bags etc, security was fast. What slowed down the whole process was passport control. That took us a while. From the time we checked our bags to the time we got to our gate was approximately 1 hour.

I did my research before making our flight and chose the later flight at 1:30pm but we could have made the 11:45am flight handily.

To make a 10:40am flight you must be ready to walk off with the very first group with your luggage in hand and have prearranged private transportation to the airport. But it will be stressful if anything happens.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Edited by mapleleaf2012

If you are flying direct to the U.S., I would give yourself 3 hours to check in. U.S. direct flight pax have to go to a separate terminal to check in, go thru security, then be bussed back to the regular terminal. The whole process can be very time consuming.

If you are flying direct to the U.S., I would give yourself 3 hours to check in. U.S. direct flight pax have to go to a separate terminal to check in, go thru security, then be bussed back to the regular terminal. The whole process can be very time consuming.

If you are talking about Fiumincino Airport there are only 2 terminals (T1 and T3) and they are adjacent to one another. US flights depart from terminal 1, European flight depart terminal 3 and there is no buses between them.

To the OP - At that time in the morning most taxis will get you to the airport within 45 minutes, it’s dual carriageway all the way. The only risk are delays due to an accident which can disrupt a later flight, so go for it, you’ll have no problem.

The remote Terminal 5 is closed now. All departures leave from the main terminal. 3 hours at the airport for check-in is still recommended. Security screening can be slow and getting to the gate can be quite a walk. In October we self-disembarked at 6:45, met our driver and were at the airport by 7:45.

I have always found that early morning transfers only take around 40-50 mins so in all honesty unless there is a big disruption somewhere along the line you should be OK. Celebrity transfers who are always on the conservative side give the earliest flight time as 10:50am and this is only 10 minutes before, so with a private transfer I would probably take the early flight myself.

The remote Terminal 5 is closed now. All departures leave from the main terminal. 3 hours at the airport for check-in is still recommended. Security screening can be slow and getting to the gate can be quite a walk. In October we self-disembarked at 6:45, met our driver and were at the airport by 7:45.

It was a year and a half ago, we had to go to Terminal 5 for screening, then bussed over to the main terminal for our flight, whether it was 1, 2, or 3. It was an unexpected goat pull. :rolleyes:

If they have since eliminated that process, that's good.

It was a year and a half ago, we had to go to Terminal 5 for screening, then bussed over to the main terminal for our flight, whether it was 1, 2, or 3. It was an unexpected goat pull. :rolleyes:

If they have since eliminated that process, that's good.

The change occurred last year. Big improvement over the remote terminal.