Power adaptors on Celebrity

plode

Can anyone tell me if Celebrity Solstice still have 120v plugs. What do people use for charging 240v tablets? Do Celebrity still confiscate power boards and how many plugs are there in balcony cabins? Sorry a lot of questions but I am trying to get some early prep in for our cruise.

All celebrity ships have both 110 and 220V outlets in the cabins. Power strips are not allowed, but some carry outlet strips that do not have circuit breakers (safety hazard) or just 3 way plugs. I don't remember how many outlets of each voltage...I think it's slightly different between M-class and S-class ships. There are many threads here with pictures of the outlets on various ships.

IIRC, there are 2 110v and one 220v outlets on the vanity area of S Class ships. The 220v outlet accepts European style 2 pin prongs. Modern electronics like phones, tablets, cameras, have built in dual voltage that switch automatically. So you could use either type of outlet as long as you have the proper adaptor. double check your equipment's voltage range before leaving home.

Other electrical devices that aren't dual voltage can only be used in the one outlet type that the appliance is wired for.

If you're talking portable electronics that charge with USB charger, the easiest thing is to get a multiple USB adapter, such as from Anker (on Amazon). The latest will do high speed charging for Android devices or the latest iPhones.

41a1fgpFRIL._AC_US218_.jpg

I can't see the New Zealand Amazon site, but at best you'd need a NZ/AUS to either US or Continental Europe (C/E/F) adapter. It works fine on 120 or 220-240V outlets, so you don't have that problem. The model pictured will charge up to 5 USB powered devices.

If you need to use actual hard wired (non-USB) adapters, it's more complicated. You have a limited number of US 110V or EU style 220V outlets, and power strips are either not allowed specifically, or likely to be confiscated as a safety (fire) hazard. BTW, it's pretty rare to actually need to use the provided adapter (if there is one) for most newer electronic devices. Any USB-based adapter will work with either a micro-USB or for Apple Lightning cord.

All celebrity ships have both 110 and 220V outlets in the cabins. Power strips are not allowed, but some carry outlet strips that do not have circuit breakers (safety hazard) or just 3 way plugs. I don't remember how many outlets of each voltage...I think it's slightly different between M-class and S-class ships. There are many threads here with pictures of the outlets on various ships.

Circuit breakers on power strips are not a safety hazard, surge protection is a safety hazard.

Other electrical devices that aren't dual voltage can only be used in the one outlet type that the appliance is wired for.

FYI, these "other" devices are generally ones that create heat, i.e. hair dryers brought from home, curling irons, straightening irons, electric curlers etc. You can either buy one that specifically states that it is "dual voltage" (and usually has a switch for that) or you will need a power converter.

Just a note about adapters and converters:

I often see people use the terms interchangeably, or not understand the difference so if anyone is confused maybe this helps.

"Electrical adapters" do not change the electrical current or voltage. They simply allow your item's plug to fit into a different shaped outlet.

"Power converters" actually convert the voltage. You'll need one with prongs that fit the outlets found in whatever country you're traveling, or you'll also need an adapter to use in conjunction with it.

As someone mentioned, most modern cell phones, tablets, cameras and such essentially have a built in power converter so all you may need is an electrical adapter so your charger can physically fit into the plug. If you have a hair appliance that creates heat, or anything with a motor (ex. a small fan, perhaps) you will usually need both a power converter and an electrical adapter, or you'll need to purchase a version of said item that specifically states that it is "dual voltage." If you don't use a converter with an item that needs one, you'll likely destroy your item, and you could start a fire. It's possible to find 2-in-1 adapter/converters, but again, if all you need it for are cell phones/tablet/camera this is unnecessary; just get an adapter and perhaps a 4-in-1 USB block so you can charge multiple items at once using just one outlet.

As mentioned, cruise ships usually have at least 1 US outlet (120v, fits a normal US plug with 2 oblong prongs) and 1 European outlet (220v, fits a common European plus with 2 round prongs)