Just off the Caribbean Princess 6/30/18-7/7/18

kywildcatfanone

I wonder what "sold soon" will end up being too. We currently have four cruises booked on her, with the last one in January 2020. The latest one I see available is 4/2020, which is not that unrealistic since 5/2020 is as far out as the current booking schedule goes. We are sailing in October and will decided if we will keep the other three once we return.

Not sure, but in reading the thread about the other ship being sold, sounds like it's will take a while to process and transfer, and I would assume if they do move it while active cruises are booked on her, they will replace it with another ship for active itineraries.

Not sure, but in reading the thread about the other ship being sold, sounds like it's will take a while to process and transfer, and I would assume if they do move it while active cruises are booked on her, they will replace it with another ship for active itineraries.

That's an interesting idea. Does anyone know from past history if this is what is actually done? It would seem more likely, at least to me, that they would draw a "line in the sand" and stop offering itineraries after a given date or simply cancel the last scheduled cruise(s) and offer some form of compensation or alternative options.

Given that scheduling cruise itineraries is kind of like a chess game, it seems like it would be a monumental task to "reassign" to another ship for the same dates and itinerary. Not to mention providing the same or similar cabins to everyone already booked.

First day back at work after returning on Saturday :(

Embarkation was fine...we got there about 11am, went right in with virtually no line to get cruise cards, short wait for our group number to be called and we were on the ship by 11:40ish. I don't know if we could have gotten to our room early. We actually got on an elevator, hit our floor number (Dolphin/9), and almost immediately heard that rooms weren't ready until 1, so we just stayed on the elevator when it did stop at 9. Glancing off the elevator it didn't look like anything would have necessarily stopped us, but who knows if there was something around the corner. We're rule followers, so we did the right thing and rode on up to 15 where everyone else was headed, not worried at all about having to entertain ourselves for an hour and a half. Did not even investigate options for storing our bags anywhere so I can't speak to that. Our carry-ons were small and light, no big deal. Sat down in the MDR for lunch just after noon and that killed the remaining time to 1 when the rooms were open.

Agreed with what most say about the buffet, but it was exactly as I would expect. I had no issues with the MDR when we ate there. Overall the increase in quality from Buffet to MDR to Premium seemed as reasonable as it did noticeable, although I would probably argue that with all the food on the buffet it is almost an accomplishment to put out that much food and have so little of it be appealing. The food didn't look bad necessarily, but just boring, nothing grabbed my attention enough to make it worth battling the crowds versus taking another option.

The only thing from the buffet I ever found appealing enough to grab a plate of was the waffles for breakfast one morning. Other breakfast days I stuck to the custom omelette station in Planks or coffee & a muffin from the Piazza.

Lunches were a mixed bag of MDR, Planks one day (tex mex buffet fajitas were very good), on-shore meals, and pizza/salty dog. All in all quite happy with our lunches even though before the cruise I would have bet you the buffet would have been the primary lunch spot.

Dinner we hit up Sabatini's, Crown Grill, and Planks throughout the week and were very happy with all 3. Steamers needs an expanded menu. I'm not huge on seafood, but I can usually find my way through a seafood menu to something that sounds good...steamers menu did not appeal at all with only a few choices, all of which included something I distinctly don't like. We hit the MDR 3 times and were perfectly pleased, and went full lazy one evening with Pizza. I thought the lobster was good...I ordered Beef Wellington at the same time as a double main, knowing the lobster wouldn't be a ton of food, but I did enjoy it. I had no complaints about dinner.

As for room temp, I do recall our room being quite warm on day 1 as well, but it did improve once the ship departed the port. Most nights I found it slightly warmer than I would have liked as I laid down to sleep but found it borderline chilly whenever I woke up in the middle of the night. We were not great about closing blinds and even caught ourselves forgetting to shut the balcony door as we stood outside a couple times, so our temperature issues were kind of self inflicted. We were in D118, forward port side mini-suite.

All in all no major complaints, I thought the ship was an upgrade from our previous experiences, but it has been 8 years. 2008 Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean, 2010 Emerald Princess Western Caribbean. Both of those were in stateroom D732 which is a mini-suite with an extended balcony being the furthest aft stateroom on the deck. We tried to get that one this time as well but were told when booking it was not available with a queen bed; 2 doubles only. I missed the extra balcony space only a little, back in 2008/2010 my favorite activity was smoking on my balcony. Between their current no smoking on the balcony rules and the fact that I don't smoke anymore, the few extra feet of balcony space was less of an issue and we were perfectly happy. Would sail this ship again.

FWIW if I was still a smoker the balcony rules would have been a deal breaker and I'd have been looking at other cruise lines. Perhaps all ships have this rule now? I didn't look into it as it's a non-issue being a non-smoker, but I would be curious.

I suppose we'll try to navigate it to our cabin to dump the luggage if at all possible.

If not, we'll park ourselves at a table in the Horizon until 1 PM when they open up the rooms.

I imagine tables will be hard to come by if you board late since most people will stay there waiting instead of walking around the ship.

I suppose we'll try to navigate it to our cabin to dump the luggage if at all possible.

If not, we'll park ourselves at a table in the Horizon until 1 PM when they open up the rooms.

I imagine tables will be hard to come by if you board late since most people will stay there waiting instead of walking around the ship.

This cruise was our first time in 34 cruises with Princess that cabins were not available when embarkation began. As for a place to hide out until 1pm; try going to Vines, deck 5, next to the International Cafe. We sat there undisturbed with plenty of food at International Cafe.

This cruise was our first time in 34 cruises with Princess that cabins were not available when embarkation began. As for a place to hide out until 1pm; try going to Vines, deck 5, next to the International Cafe. We sat there undisturbed with plenty of food at International Cafe.

It's still not enough room for everyone to hang around with luggage.

I classify the IC food to be snack food and 1 step above a hot dog or hamburger.

It's OK in a pinch but we much prefer the DR or Horizon's food.

After giving it some thought I'm beginning to think the cabins not being ready is another cost saving feature.

They normally have an assistant to help with the cabins (especially on embarkation day) and if they eliminated using them the cruise line could cut back with personnel.

I'll have to talk to the steward next cruise.

It's still not enough room for everyone to hang around with luggage.

I classify the IC food to be snack food and 1 step above a hot dog or hamburger.

It's OK in a pinch but we much prefer the DR or Horizon's food.

After giving it some thought I'm beginning to think the cabins not being ready is another cost saving feature.

They normally have an assistant to help with the cabins (especially on embarkation day) and if they eliminated using them the cruise line could cut back with personnel.

I'll have to talk to the steward next cruise.

The reason for suggesting Vines was that my DW and I along with maybe 4 others, sat there from 11:30 until 1:00pm, with our luggage, as we watched everyone else head for Lido Deck with their luggage. 1:00pm jumped on the nearby elevator, up to deck 10 and our cabin. Easy peezee. As for the IC food; there were sandwiches, salad, soup and other items, along with pastries, coffee, hot chocolate, tea and of course alcohol for those that wanted it.

The reason for suggesting Vines was that my DW and I along with maybe 4 others, sat there from 11:30 until 1:00pm, with our luggage, as we watched everyone else head for Lido Deck with their luggage. 1:00pm jumped on the nearby elevator, up to deck 10 and our cabin. Easy peezee. As for the IC food; there were sandwiches, salad, soup and other items, along with pastries, coffee, hot chocolate, tea and of course alcohol for those that wanted it.

Like I said, 1 step above a hot dog or hamburger. :D

Like I said, 1 step above a hot dog or hamburger. :D

I'll take a hot dog or hamburger over the international cafe stuff, but that's just me! If the wait for the room is that significant of a challenge I'd recommend waiting until closer to 1 to board or do more to minimize your carry on. They take your big bags at the port..you don't need that much to get through the afternoon before they deliver the big bags to your room. My wife and I brought a backpack a piece with basically nothing more than some sunglasses and one change of clothes just in case. Not a lot to lug around.

Great evaluation of the CB. We will be on the CB this fall. I have not seen a coupon book in quite a long time and don't believe they are doing it anymore. No loss as it never had anything we wanted. The time spent in the MDR at dinner is highly dependent on how big your table is (6 top, 8 top etc) and the slowest eater at the table. Last cruise we had a 6 top with two other couples and thankfully they arrived on time and did not play with their food while running their mouth. I usually took about an hour but a few times less when we told the waiter we had to get out of there for an event. We have been on the CB many times but not since the HC was reconfigured so it will be interesting to see the new layout. I doubt we will try either of the new specialty restaurants. We have been to all of the ports except one, Trinidad, so like the OP will probably just have a leisurely port day. We do love being on the ship when all the pax are off on their excursions. It is so quiet, uncrowded and nice.

Our cruise is scheduled for Trinidad. I don't know why Princess still has this port (Trinidad) on the itinerary. It is a Level 4- Do Not Travel in thePort of Spain, the highest that the State Dept. has.

Going on our 1st princess Cruise Aug 4th. Have been on 21 cruises with other lines. What dining room is open after one embarks on the Caribbean Princess? We have anytime dining and wondered if for breakfast and lunch we can just go at anytime too and do we have to go to a special dining floor deck?

Going on our 1st princess Cruise Aug 4th. Have been on 21 cruises with other lines. What dining room is open after one embarks on the Caribbean Princess? We have anytime dining and wondered if for breakfast and lunch we can just go at anytime too and do we have to go to a special dining floor deck?

I think for breakfast and lunch there is only one dining room open, and you can go whenever they are open if you don't care to dine in the Marketplace or grill/pizza on the pool deck.

Any we will be on the CB August 4 also!

I believe it's the Coral MDR that is open for both lunch at embarkation as well as open seating breakfast (everyday) and open seating lunch (sea days).

I think for breakfast and lunch there is only one dining room open, and you can go whenever they are open if you don't care to dine in the Marketplace or grill/pizza on the pool deck.

Any we will be on the CB August 4 also!

Just booked the August 4th cruise as well! 13th time on Princess, first for this ship. :cool:

Our cruise is scheduled for Trinidad. I don't know why Princess still has this port (Trinidad) on the itinerary. It is a Level 4- Do Not Travel in thePort of Spain, the highest that the State Dept. has.

We were on the CB last October and went to Trinidad, it was a great island, very friendly people.

That was our first time on the CB, I agree with others, the buffet was horrible at best. The MDR was good, not great.

We are sailing on her again this October. I was hoping the buffet got better, but doesn't seem to be the case.

We were on the CB last October and went to Trinidad, it was a great island, very friendly people.

That was our first time on the CB, I agree with others, the buffet was horrible at best. The MDR was good, not great.

We are sailing on her again this October. I was hoping the buffet got better, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Agree about the buffet. Worse than "not that good"...it was horrible. Writing Princess a letter that should go out this week. Never saw it so bad!!

Hmmm... we were on board in early June and found the buffet to be just fine. I really liked the new look. There was staff at the entrance passing out plates and the addition of the wash basins was a nice touch. I thought the added choices during the day in the Planks/Steamers (old Cafe Caribe) area were good too. Although we only ate in the MDR a few times, the quality of the food was good there too. We did go to the Crown Grill and Planks and had an Ultimate Balcony Dinner too. Those meals were excellent, especially the UBD. Maybe the executive chef rotated out in June? We've found that the chef does make a difference in how the various galleys are run. We'll be aboard again in August and can compare and contrast.

Hmmm... we were on board in early June and found the buffet to be just fine. I really liked the new look. There was staff at the entrance passing out plates and the addition of the wash basins was a nice touch. I thought the added choices during the day in the Planks/Steamers (old Cafe Caribe) area were good too. Although we only ate in the MDR a few times, the quality of the food was good there too. We did go to the Crown Grill and Planks and had an Ultimate Balcony Dinner too. Those meals were excellent, especially the UBD. Maybe the executive chef rotated out in June? We've found that the chef does make a difference in how the various galleys are run. We'll be aboard again in August and can compare and contrast.

Please do. There seem to be many posts that knock the buffet food & it's got many of us wondering what changed to make it that bad.

Agree about the buffet. Worse than "not that good"...it was horrible. Writing Princess a letter that should go out this week. Never saw it so bad!!

I was on the TA right after the dry dock added new buffet, planks, and steamers. I thought all 3 were horrible. Choices on buffet were limited and weird foreign dishes. Food in MDR was ok - average. My opinon: they need to sell this ship. Every change they have made has made this ship less and less appealing. I won’t book a cruise on this ship regardless of where it’s going.

As I mentioned in my original post, the food was OK in the buffet, not as good as our most recent cruises on the Regal/Royal. Lots of less options, and less appealing options. As someone else pointed out, the last sea day dinner entree in the buffet at the carving station was meat loaf. The the other meat was meat balls. That's pretty pathetic, and I'm not a picky eater generally.

I didn't much care for the new buffet layout, and the decor was blah. Not sure how they consider that an upgrade.

Sadly, the CB is very un Princess-like. I hope the changes they are making on this ship is not a trend, and only an "experiment" that will go away. The new decor makes Panera look fancy. A new addition in the buffet that cheapens the dining experience is a stainless wine dispenser...using a swipe of your cruise card. haha...meatloaf at the carving station? The desserts were artificially colored and tasteless. The salad bar was equally as sad. Geez. To go with the new dining room menu, how about shorts and flip flop night. Heard from a Princess employee that corporate was on the ship "checking things out". On a scale of 1-10, food during the week of June 30th was a 3!

So sorry to be negative. 25 Princess cruises later, I am deeply saddened and disappointed.

Sadly, the CB is very un Princess-like. I hope the changes they are making on this ship is not a trend, and only an "experiment" that will go away. The new decor makes Panera look fancy. A new addition in the buffet that cheapens the dining experience is a stainless wine dispenser...using a swipe of your cruise card. haha...meatloaf at the carving station? The desserts were artificially colored and tasteless. The salad bar was equally as sad. Geez. To go with the new dining room menu, how about shorts and flip flop night. Heard from a Princess employee that corporate was on the ship "checking things out". On a scale of 1-10, food during the week of June 30th was a 3!

So sorry to be negative. 25 Princess cruises later, I am deeply saddened and disappointed.

They've always had disgusting looking meat loaf on all Princess's buffets. I've never had the gumption to even try it as long as there are other options.

As for the desserts, they're made for Princess by an outside concern and pretty much the same on all the ships except for some special items.