Luggage Tracking

Mythbuster

Has anyone used any tracking devices for their luggage such as Tile, TrackR, Trakdot, etc. on a cruise. I have used Trakdot for flying but doesn't work well outside of airports. I am looking for something to see where my luggage is after I board or trying to find it in the sea of bags at disembarkation.

Much earlier, I had TrakR but the airlines I use now will text when my luggage is loaded, very handy. As to one for the ship, I’m afraid with all the decks between you and your luggage being loaded, the Bluetooth connection is too weak. And it doesn’t show exact enough location for you to find it in a line of luggage inside the terminal is my experience. So I dropped using them. It got me in the general area where my number/color code was which I could already see, and that was as ‘handy’ as it was.

Someone might have a clue on an internet-connecting tracker, but again, the location accuracy is still pretty general to step up to a piece of luggage or see if onboard somewhere.

I realize we do get posts of missing luggage, but by the time you ‘see’ your luggage is still on the pier, if it was accurate enough, it would be tricky getting the ship to react is my very general guess. It will either make you feel secure when it isn’t really onboard, or get you worked up that it isn’t loaded, and it is.

Den

Tile will play little tune when you tap the icon on your cell phone. That might help you locate it in a crowd of suitcases, unless 300 other people are doing the same thing. When we have connecting flights, I like seeing that my suitcase made it to the connecting airport and that it made it to our final destination. As mentioned, some airlines offer this kind of information now so I don't use it quite as often.

The problem with Tile is that relies upon other users going near something you are trying to find, it doesn’t actually emit a signal, your phone will only remember where the item last was.

I once left my backpack on the train, my iPad pinged when it was going through the station at London to be taken to lost property, I assumed I had lost it until this point. I have had Tile ever since but luckily not had the need to try it out properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tile will play little tune when you tap the icon on your cell phone. That might help you locate it in a crowd of suitcases, unless 300 other people are doing the same thing. When we have connecting flights, I like seeing that my suitcase made it to the connecting airport and that it made it to our final destination. As mentioned, some airlines offer this kind of information now so I don't use it quite as often.

and if did not make it on the flight you can sit and stress your way through the trip...

A low-tech way to find your bag in a sea of luggage is to buy a bag in a standout color or pattern. If your gate has a view of the baggage handlers loading the plane, you might even be able to see that your bag made it on the plane this way.

Thank you for everyone's answers. I want to be more specific with my question. If I use a Tile in my luggage, will the app tell me how many feet and the direction I am from my luggage assuming I am within Bluetooth range. The Sport Tile has a range up to 200' which would cover most ship decks and the port luggage pick up area. If it only tells me the general address or building it obviously would not be helpful unless I can hear the Tile ring.

Of course you have to have ‘directional hearing’ to know where the tune is coming from.....with only one working ear, my wife gets a kick out of watching me turn in circles when I hear a phone or iPhone ring and i don’t know where the item is!!

Den